Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Yesterday at 10:58 pm

» LF extended back rest
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Yesterday at 4:29 pm

» noise under load
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Sat May 18, 2024 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Sat May 18, 2024 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Thinking about a 2010 SW

Go down 
+4
Delray
dekare
Easyrider
mouka
8 posters
AuthorMessage
mouka
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 41
Registration date : 2015-05-06

Thinking about a 2010 SW  Empty
PostSubject: Thinking about a 2010 SW    Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 5:04 pm

Howdy all?

I am back and thinking about buying a nice 2010 SW. It has 6800 miles on the clock and the price is very reasonable: $2000.
I already have a decent bike with all the extras I can think of. It's a 2005 Suzuki C50 (805 ccs).
However I have always liked the SW for some odd reason. I owned bikes ranging in size from a meager Yamaha XT350 all the way to a whopping Triumph Rocket 3 with 2300 ccs. So I have seen it all. My wife thinks that the most comfortable bike she has ever been on is the SW. So I am thinking on pulling the trigger on this one. It looks in very good condition except a little scratch on one side from being tied to a dirt bike. The owner I think hauled the 2 bikes on his truck and all the bumps had the 2 bikes rubbing against each other. The end result are a few minor scratches on the side of the SW.
I like the fact that a scooter is way easier to ride than regular bikes. Other riders don't think of scooters as "real" bikes. I don't. As long as it has 2 wheels and an engine, to me it's a bike.
Anyway, what do you guys think of this SW? Should I just go ahead and buy it? I think it is a very good deal for a large scooter. However I also know that there is very little market for these max scooters.
What should I be on the lookout for when I go to check it out tomorrow?
Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a 2010 SW    Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 6:43 pm

Get any service records you can from the owner. If none, check the age of the tires, check wear of the front, rear, and parking brakes. Expect to change the engine and differential oils including the oil filter. Replace the brake fluid with DOT4 rated fluids. Check the air filter. Flush the anti-freeze. That is a few things to check and service should you choose to purchase it. Good luck!!!
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a 2010 SW    Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 7:38 pm

That's a very good price. If the SWing is something you want, I don't see how you could go wrong. You mention your wife thinks it's the most comfortable bike she's been on, is this something that will be her's to ride or will she be on the back as a passenger?
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a 2010 SW    Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 7:46 pm

I live in a place (South Florida) where Silver Wings are overpriced. But you're in Chicagoland and that's not exactly the cheap seats. That's a great price. I'd snap it up if you really want a Wing.

What's not to love? It's the most reliable, easiest to maintain maxi-scooter in the world. It's fun ride after ride after ride.

If you're fussy and the scratches bother you, the tupperware is easily replaced. Almost any part you want can be found on bikebandit, partzilla and other sites.

If you're tall and want more legroom, the buttrest can be removed in a minute with two screws under the seat.

The most common complaint among riders is the joke of a windscreen. GIVI makes a screen specifically for the Silver Wing ($99). Four screws give you access to the screen bolts; twenty minutes later you're in business. It's worth it.

The trunk has a light bulb that can burn out the battery if you don't close the seat tightly. A lot of riders just take the bulb out to avoid that annoyance. You can also buy an OEM light with an On/Off switch -- it's an easy install for around $30.

Go for it! You'll love it.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a 2010 SW    Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 8:57 pm

BUY it that's a good price anywhere. Many are in $4-5 K price and have more miles. Even if it needs tires, belt and a little TLC that's not much more.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1988
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a 2010 SW    Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2019 10:30 pm

mouka that sounds like a great price. If it runs and sounds good I'd buy it, if I was looking for one.

My 08 sat for two years under a tarp in FL. It had 18,xxx miles on it when I bought it from my sister for $1273.00 while down there on vacation. The battery was stone dead, the tires were weather cracked and I wasn't sure about the belt. I trailered it home and ordered new tires, a battery from Ebay and a belt. While waiting for them I hooked the jumper cables from my pickup to it to check all the lights and dash. It had 1/2 a tank of gas and I figured "what the heck" and hit the starter. It turned over about 3 times and fired off and purred like a kitten. That was May of 2014 and I haven't regretted it yet.
I learned how to do all the work on it from being a member of this site and it was interesting and fun to get it up to running condition. JeffR has some fantastic pdf tutorials on doing your own work and that's where I learned how to do it.
Since then I've had it triked out two seasons ago and haven't regretted that either.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a 2010 SW    Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 8:05 am

Mouka, you better get down there and check it out: $2000.00 sounds like a good deal if it is the genuine article. Take a close look, and when ( and if) the deal is done, ride it like you stole it.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2568
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a 2010 SW    Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2019 8:16 am

At that price...if you don't want it I will take it!!! Shocked
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Thinking about a 2010 SW    Thinking about a 2010 SW  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Thinking about a 2010 SW
Page 1 of 1