Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» LF extended back rest
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:29 pm

» Goodbye guys
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Today at 4:27 pm

» noise under load
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Yesterday at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Yesterday at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Seat strut

Go down 
+21
Loosemarbles
Davetech
PHXScooterBill
Magoo Triker
Winger61
ebear695
yammer
tarmacburner2
gooffy
Old Limey
Colin B
model28a
wis-rider
Dimond
tankyuong
exavid
tinman
dspevack
RArch
jdeereanton
hotwings
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
hotwings
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
hotwings

Number of posts : 876
Registration date : 2012-04-29

Seat strut - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:05 pm

First topic message reminder :

My oem seat strut is getting weak and its time to replace it. Does anyone know what the pound force is on the stock strut? I can get a gas strut on ebay for around $15 delivered and its got 20 pounds of pressure. Is this enough? Please no suggestions to use wood/pipe for seat props! Thanks
Back to top Go down

AuthorMessage
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:46 pm

LVScooterBill wrote:
I have a question: Was it the same 13kg /28.6 lb force as Hotwings' one or did you all go with a heavier force one?  Am I just better off getting the same 28lb one as Hotwings?
I went with Hotwings on this one - got 28#. You need to fiddle with the ends (top one for sure) as noted in this thread to get it to fit - but no big deal. I had to remove the plastic section under the seat to get my strut out. Mine came with black paint on the slider rod - I compressed it without taking off this paint (it will come off easily with a plastic scour pad) - bad idea as the paint gets down into the plunger seal and then it does not move in/out as smoothly - but still a monumental improvement over my old strut. I have had two SWings and both had lousy structs. It is such a blessing to have a seat that does not continually close on your hands/head as you are rumaging to get stuff in/out. Spending the $13 (heck even the OEM $25) to get a seat that stays open is well worth it. How long will this strut last? Don't know but I am enjoying it while it does! I wanted to get something that someone else said would work - so went with 28#. I don't have any extra weight on my seat - If I did I would consider the heavier weight - but was concerned that more force may do more harm - and cause the strut to fail sooner - but the foregoing is only my 'uninformed' conception - I have nothing to back it up.
Back to top Go down
PHXScooterBill
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
PHXScooterBill

Number of posts : 142
Registration date : 2011-06-07

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 4:56 pm

Thanks Dimond. I had been considering the 33 pound unit since I have a nice Pro Pad gel seat cushion that seems to add weight to the seat where even my one year old stock seat strut can't handle it.
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2013 5:06 pm

LVScooterBill wrote:
Thanks Dimond. I had been considering the 33 pound unit since I have a nice Pro Pad gel seat cushion that seems to add weight to the seat where even my one year old stock seat strut can't handle it.
Honda_Silver has a thread on a great strut from Grainger that handle a massive weight - at not such a great price ($50); but it is tried and proven.

If it was me, I would go with the #33 pound and if that $13 does not last go with the one used/recommended by Honda_Silver.
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

Number of posts : 78
Registration date : 2020-07-08

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2023 10:28 am

Tried to upload a short video of my auto opening seat, but couldn’t work out how. Keeps saying wrong file type with .MOV and .MP4
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2023 4:48 pm

I think I'm right in saying that you cannot upload video to the forum. You'll need to use another platform, like You Tube, and provide a link to that. Sorry thumbs up

I'd like to see the video though!
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 14, 2023 5:06 pm

Well let’s see if this works - first time for me: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8JyyNkoBPuI?si=gxBFeh0y1oCP01LT
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2023 5:05 am

Hi Dave, couple of questions.

1 did you fit yourself.
2 do you have a link to purchase one.

Mines just packed up.
Manny thanks in advance for info.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Davetech
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davetech

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2023 7:08 am

Took about 10 minutes.
2 spring clips, 2 metal bushes come off in the holes of the strut.
Had to drill the holes of the new strut with a 9.5/10mm bit (took about 10 seconds).
Refit as removed.

The new strut cost around £8-9.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B08P1RV5QT?ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details&th=1
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 304
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 15, 2023 12:40 pm

Manny thanks Dave.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 519
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 16, 2023 5:20 pm

Davetech wrote:
Well let’s see if this works - first time for me: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/8JyyNkoBPuI?si=gxBFeh0y1oCP01LT

That's almost an ejection seat, hope it does not bend plastic seat pan , etc. I have a cheap amazon replacement and its slightly stronger than Honda oem, honestly, I don't like how it pushes seat slightly to the left side when open, I have to guide/center seat into latch to close, may bite the bullet and buy another oem one for just $35 USD Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 25, 2023 1:51 pm

Is your seat support ram shot ? Here is a real inexpensive soluton. Get a five inch piece of 2x4,2x3 or 2x2 and stick it between front lip of tool tray and one of the plastic seat pan's grooves . This will keep your seat open to the max and no fear of seat dropping on your head or hands. Iyt works and it's cheap.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 344
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 26, 2023 10:00 am

I have a seat strut on mine that I replaced, but I still use the wood stick I keep under the seat from time to time because I use a rear seat bag that’s a little heavy and closes the seat without too much effort (meaning it doesn’t always stay open with the bag on the back seat)- I use a Givi trunk now as well so it’s more of a rarity that I open the seat for storage anyway.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Seat strut   Seat strut - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Seat strut
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2