Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.

Go down 
+4
Easyrider
Sidewinder Pilot
Mech 1 twa
john grinsel
8 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. Empty
PostSubject: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 7:35 pm

My latest tire combo---Power Pure SC Rear/Metzeler Feel Free Front has made cornering much more steady/confidence inspiring---take off tires were matched set of IRC--Honda recommended for 2013 Silverwing----they really wore square. Felt real bad near end of life....but rear did last 15,000 miles....because...it had to----ever try to find Honda dealer in US with SilverWing rear in stock? Tires one of the problems long trips pose---Harley dealers usually have tires in stock, BMW do too....if you can find one in US.

Metzeler was what was available-----Power Pure SC my choice as past experience.....they wear round and last 10,000 miles.
Bike goes nice with this combo.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 8:17 pm

New to me 2013 SW with IRC tires. NOT a good tire BOTH.
Front very noisy, rear uneven wear.

Replaced with MICH. Pure Power. Grip very good, rear is good for about 6k. Front------
Evil head shake from front 45-35 on decel. at times. Don't take hands off bars. You don't feel it otherwise.

I eat tires. No chicken strips for me.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 9:05 pm

I used the PowerPure as a matched pair a few times and didn't like the front's tendency to wiggle on deceleration. The rear was ok and did wear nice.

I then tried the Shinko's as a matched pair and they were not for me, ran nearly 15,000mi (2-rear/1-front) and found them to have passable traction on warm and dry pavement.
Wet roads were another matter, they were scary! Even broke traction from a stop...

I am now back with Michelin again, but with a matched pair of City Grips, and they work very well.
I've got a couple thousand miles on them so far and no slipping in corners at all.
Hard braking is excellent and no lost traction on launch,

Time will tell how the tread life is compared to the "Gold Standard" Power Pure
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 29, 2017 11:17 pm

On my 2002 Swing, I installed a matched set of Power Pure SC tires and, like most riders did not like how the front tire tracked. It was all over the place on groved concrete roads. When I installed the front, it looked like the thread pattern was backward if following the directional arrows. It was opposite from the rear. I thought it was that way because the front tire does the heavy braking and needs to evacuate the water.
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 9:08 am

Michelin Power Pure SC tires on front and rear on mine. Disappointed to find the rear is down to the wear bars and the front close.... only 6446 kms on them. Great tires otherwise.
Mike
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 9:19 am

I once tried Michelin Power Pure on front....and didn't like it=feel. But Power Pure SC have worked well for me on both SilverWing and on Burgman 400. Like the way they wear round and stay round on edges.
Back to top Go down
Sidewinder Pilot
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Sidewinder Pilot

Number of posts : 200
Registration date : 2015-05-21

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 30, 2017 7:12 pm

I just checked my odo and I'm at 3000 miles and about 30 days on the new Michelin City Grips.
They still show no significant wear and they have fantastic traction, very difficult to get a skid while braking, and have had no slippage in hard cornering.

I'm still gun-shy in the rain after my experience with Shinko, but I am "testing the waters" somewhat.

They were $60'ish each with internet price match and free installation at our local Ocala FL Honda dealership. Now that I live here I'll never pull a wheel again!
Back to top Go down
SlvrwngTraveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SlvrwngTraveler

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 1:33 pm

@ Sidewinder Pilot - I have the same tire setup on my wing and going the same direction with new tires like you. Power Pure's didn't impressed me at all. After 9k front is still holding while rear is weirdly mis shaped and worn out. After reading your impressions with City Grips I hope to regain confidence in Michelin, get better traction and hopefully squeeze extra few miles before next tire change. If the rear ends up to be improvement over Power Pures, I'll probably go with City Grip for the front as well although I would like to test softer compound tire for the front because I have a feel wing would handle /grip better while cornering etc.
Wonder what's your impression now after more than 6 months of last time you posted your report? Do you still like City Grips? Give us an update please.
Back to top Go down
arskal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
arskal

Number of posts : 55
Registration date : 2017-07-13

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 2:33 pm

In my previous scooter, Jonway 250, I used Continental Twist tyres and they worked fine. When they worned I bought Michelin Power Pure SC. At first ride I noticed that front tyre followed all the road scratch / road lines from Grader. I didnt like that effect.
In my current scooter, Honda SW-T, there is Michelin Power Pure SC in front and Pirelli Diablo Scooter in rear. Michelin PP SC does the same effect than my Jonway. I think I must change this tyre away.
Pirelli Diabo tyre works without any problems in my scooter; amazing grip and never caused problems on any road surface.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 29, 2018 6:21 pm

I've got the Diablo Scooters on my little GPX250 (16" rims) and they're wonderful, although haven't had to use them in the wet, since I use the scooters then instead. And the GPX weighs about have a Swing. And they're 16".... ok, so maybe not a great comparison, but they are good.

But next time I'm tempted to got for some german Heidenau K66's for the Swing. My smaller 125 scooter has them, and the grip in the wet is wonderful. Don't really have to ride differently. The only time I've had issues is when the roads aren't wet, just greasy, when it's not been wet enough to wash the crud off, but enough to get the diesel and oil spils really working well... Rolling Eyes I won't be riding it much in the wet, but I'd rather have the wet grip if I need it. I won't be throwing it around like the GPX either Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.   New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New tire Combo---restored cornering confidence.
Page 1 of 1