Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Sad Day today

Go down 
+15
Easyrider
2wheelgal
Mike from NS
SteveSilverWing
Dale N.
exavid
Meldrew
cliffyk
bikehiker
steve_h80
bikerboy
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
Pastor Ron
19 posters
AuthorMessage
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 11, 2017 8:50 pm

I waited as long as I could, but unfortunately I had to put her in sleep mode for the rest of the winter. It's not the cold but the 10 inches of snow and the road brine that made my decision. So, I will just bide my time until next Spring and cozy up with my wife and enjoy our inside time, maybe do a little bowling and straighten out my garage and tools that I don't have time to do when we are riding all the time. I pray everyone has a safe and comfortable winter.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 12:15 am

Put a bike away for winter in south? ....and trike at that. This snow/cold we are having lately will soon go away. The South has enough wrong with it....but storing bike in winter not necessary.

Agree the stupid brine they put on roads here really stupid idea----ride thru it solo and really slippery......and sometimes they do it before there is any snow!
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 10:57 am

Jeez, Mr Grinsel, most of use here are well beyond the age of needing to prove something. Could it be that Pastor Ron realizes his riding skills, weighed the risks vs rewards of riding on icy roads in the NC mountains and decided he'd rather wait for sensible weather?

As Fra Juniper Serra said, c.1761, "...come to terms with your ass for it bears you".

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 12:14 pm

My comment-----not many real riders here.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 12:34 pm

Amen to the put up, no so much because of the cold but that nasty brine / rock salt and sand they use. No joke but the asphalt is usually white with that crap long before any snow or ice, the bridges get the rock salt cover, really covered. Sad
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Thank you Cosmic   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 1:56 pm

+1 on all those sensible comments
Back to top Go down
bikerboy
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 405
Registration date : 2011-05-12

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 2:34 pm

Better safe than sorry !
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 3:36 pm

And most of all it's just not fun riding in bad weather, and if it isn't fun why do it?
Mind you as soon as I get a halfway decent winter day I'll have one of the bikes out for a couple of hours... followed by a couple of hours washing the muck and salt off.
Much as I dislike cleaning salt off it does make the roads safer than trying to ride on ice!
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 4:08 pm

Can't blame the Pastor for his reflections. Most of us identify with his feelings. Can't blame the NC Department of Transportation, either, for covering the roads to cover their behinds from our lawsuit mentality. Besides, we might be the first to complain if we wrecked a two- or four-wheeler because the icy roads were not treated.

We all hate to experience it, but snow, and black ice present too much of a challenge for sensible riders. How many slapdown spills does it take for a nut like me to keep challenging fate? I think I have used about 8 of my 9 lives, and now must go very cautiously into that good night...unless the famous last words tempt me:

No, these windows are ok to lean on.
Don’t worry it has airbags.
Hey what’s that buzzing noise?
Don’t worry it’s not that deep.
No, he doesn’t bite.
Hey look a light at the end of the tunnel.
I can pass this guy.
My brakes are fine.
Nice doggy.
"Na, I don't think we need to go to the hospital."
"It's a dud! It's a dud! It's a du...".
"Don't touch the red button!"
It's fireproof.
What does this button do?
So, you're a cannibal.
Are you sure the power is off?
Pull the pin and count to what?
Which wire was I supposed to cut?
I wonder where the mother bear is.
I've seen this done on TV.
These are the good kind of mushrooms. .
I'll hold it and you light the fuse.
This doesn't taste right.
I can make this light before it changes
I can do that with my eyes closed
Put bike away for the winter in the South? Never!

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 4:38 pm

Doesn't anyone know trikes/sidecar outfits are blast in snow?---and it is hard to tip sidecar outfit over.....trike with one wheel in front probably tip over easy----my trike experience is having had 2 Messerschmitts, one new, one used, they were pushers with 2 wheels in front.....and had heater!

Cold---rode about 100 miles at 40 degrees F this morning----hands ok, helmet ok (GMAX 3/4), Darien pants and jacket and FROOZE---had wrong stuff on under and on return trip my electric bib didn't work. For me only proper feather jacket and vest under outside jacket only work....didn't have the right ones today.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Number of posts : 182

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 5:02 pm

There is a fine line between bravery and stupidity. If you get away with it, you are brave. If you don't, you are stupid.

-Francisco Escario-
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 5:55 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Cold---rode about 100 miles at 40 degrees F this morning----hands ok, helmet ok (GMAX 3/4), Darien pants and jacket and FROOZE---had wrong stuff on under and on return trip my electric bib didn't work.  For me only  proper feather jacket and vest under outside jacket only work....didn't have the right ones today.

There's scores of cyclists here in York out in the same temperature and a lot colder, and they're just normal folk going about their normal daily routine, myself included.  

I still wear baggy shorts to cycle to the gym, my only concession for this winter weather is a warmer pair of gloves, an old helmet liner under my cycle helmet to keep my ears warm, and my circa 2000 hi-vis orange German refuse collectors jacket rather than a vest.

I also wear this jacket paired with the matching pants when I go out with my long tongs and bag on my voluntary litter picking round the area I live.

Now that's an activity that all you at a loss retired types could occasionally do for your local community.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 6:54 pm

Kudos to your voluntary litter picking! Keeps you warm in cold weather, and we can't thank you enough for correcting the slobs. Cold cycling is often easier than cold MC-ing. Once you get to the first hill on a bicycle, the cold is all forgotten. Fingers--the first to go on two wheels--warm up, and it's all good from there. Motorcycling can be a challenge, unless you are prepared like John Grinsel. Every January, a group of Harley riders go from the Harrisburg, PA area to Erie, PA, rain or shine, cold or very cold. They prepare well, and we have not yet seen any frozen stiffs on two wheels on the side of Route 80. That fine line between bravery and stupidity is hard to view sometimes.

That's nothin' Back home, we used to...!!!!!!!!!

Machismo is not lacking on this forum.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 9:08 pm

I'm old and a softy these days. If it's less than 40F the scoot stays in the garage and I drive the Jeep Liberty with it's excellent heater. Over the years I've had a couple of unplanned dismounts because of heavy frost or ice on the road. I'm too damn old to go sliding down the road on my butt anymore.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 11:45 pm

exavid wrote:
I'm old and a softy these days. If it's less than 40F the scoot stays in the garage and I drive the Jeep Liberty with it's excellent heater. Over the years I've had a couple of unplanned dismounts because of heavy frost or ice on the road. I'm too damn old to go sliding down the road on my butt anymore.

I definitely agree with you on this!!!
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 12, 2017 11:49 pm

It was only 69° F here today, kind of nippy so I wore a sweatshirt and long pants--that wind chill will get you...
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 9:02 am

Personally, the British winters I'm used to are much more preferable to months of humidity in Florida.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 9:24 am

Dale N. wrote:
exavid wrote:

I definitely agree with you on this!!!

Me, too.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 am

Oh come on, your 40F is 6°C which is average for the time of year over here. You're going on about going out in heated Jeeps because of the cold, and there's old dears here in York out on their push bikes getting groceries, a nice bit of fish for their cats tea, or whatever.

Other hardy ladies were out much earlier cycling to work at supermarkets, hotels, and care homes etc. I cycled back from the gym in the snow not so long ago, and in the rain a couple of hours ago and the worse thing that happened were the tops of my legs and gym bag got a bit wet.

I was in Iceland at the weekend where it was -7°C plus wind chill in Reykjavik. I was layered up in Merino wool, fleece, down, hat, gloves, and snow boots and it was still cold, but there were hardy Icelandic folk out on their push bikes. I didn't see anyone out on maxi scooters or motorcycles even though the roads were clear, so Mr G take note there's no 'real riders' in Iceland at this time of year either. Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 10:24 am

18 degrees F this AM. No Snow on ground. Took Motorcycle to VA clinic to have blood tested. Hands got a little cold....but I see nothing wrong with use of bike in winter....in the south.

Trip about 25 miles in total. My next new bike will/should have heated grips.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 11:38 am

I empathize with you, Pastor Ron! I would be sad, too. If it were freezing cold, icy and snowy, I'd definitely be putting my Swing away until milder weather arrives. Fortunately for me, our weather here in Southern California excels with superb riding conditions all year round. No humidity here, but we do have fires, and they can be wreck havoc on your lungs and breathing.

Today I'll ride up 'La Tuna Canyon Road' to 'La Cañada Flintridge' to do my errands while enjoying the ride on the way up. It's supposed to be sunny at about 80F. Cool

PS I'm originally from eastern Canada and know full well the power of Mother Nature's winter wrath!
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 1:12 pm

Steve, I too remember my days in sunny CA., I do not miss the earthquakes or the fires or the Santa Anta winds affraid But when I choose not to ride in cold weather, I do miss the warmth of CA. winters.
And I will try to explain to a couple of those who don`t understand why I choose NOT to ride in the winter: It is not due to lack of skills ,but, because of my skills that I do not ride on snow covered roads. Here in Asheville NC, you are either going up hill or down hill on our roads, we do not have level ground on which to enjoy for any extended periods until we get out of the mountains, so, traveling on icy, snow covered roads because extremely hazordus.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 2:20 pm

If you're referring to me in your post, I couldn't care less whether you or anyone else rides in winter. It's your choice, just like other riders on this forum avoid riding in any form of precipitation, rain, or any type of wet weather. Which is rather silly when owners who don't like getting their Silver Wings wet riding, will spend hours throwing water over them washing and cleaning them at home.

You're not going out riding simply because it's winter, so it really isn't sad day as the the title of your title suggests, you're simply don't want to ride in winter by choice and that's fine.

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 3:04 pm

"So, you're a cannibal."
That made me laugh :-)
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 13, 2017 4:59 pm

What part of eastern Canada, Steve?

I'm quite far east in Canada and there has been no wrath from Ma Nature just yet this year. At least not in NS. Today was 12°C and if not for the rainy day that it was, a ride was to be in order. I almost pulled the plug and did the winterization. Over the next few days, the wrath of which you speak is set to arrive. But if recent history holds there will be riding days into early January too.

Mike
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:58 am

Frosty roads again this morning. 20F. I enjoyed the excellent heater in the Jeep again. I don't have to prove anything to anyone, not even myself. I like creature comforts, for me scooters are for fun not endurance testing. Everyone should do their thing. I have heated gloves, heated jacket liner, heated seat and grips and have used 'em all but as I age I use them less and less.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 3:32 am

What I don't get is all this annual nonsense about it's a sad day I have to put the Silver Wing away, it's too cold to ride, there's salt on the road etc.

Yes it's the end of your 'riding season' and a lot of members live in places where there's snow about for months. You either accept that or make the effort to get out when conditions allow even if it's only for a hour or two.

It's all this moping on here telling everyone you're not able to ride as if it's some great personal loss, it isn't.

Over here the attitude is bollocks to being out in freezing weather and subjecting your pride and joy to rust and salt corrosion, so many bikes/scooters are only taxed from April to September. A car or a ratty bike or scooter is used for transport and life goes on as normal.

That's their choice, the difference being they then don't spend the next six months on forums telling everyone they'd rather be out riding.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 10:23 am

exavid wrote:
Frosty roads again this morning. 20F. I enjoyed the excellent heater in the Jeep again. I don't have to prove anything to anyone, not even myself. I like creature comforts, for me scooters are for fun not endurance testing. Everyone should do their thing. I have heated gloves, heated jacket liner, heated seat and grips and have used 'em all but as I age I use them less and less.

I read your post above and have some questions:

Do you have all your heated gear running at the same time?  The reason I ask is that I have a Gerbings heated jacket, pants, and gloves.  The folks I ride with, all riding Gold Wings, say I shouldn't have my heated gear all running at the same time or I will burn up the stator on my 2009 Swing.  Do you have an extra battery, separate from the Swings electrical system, installed on your Swing that you run your heated gear off of? If you run your heated gear off the Swing's electrical system, do you have to alternate between the different elements so they aren't all running at the same time?  Even in SC there are days in the winter when I ride early in the morning I need my heated gear until the temps get up past 50 or so, (ya, I'm a wimp when it comes to cold Rolling Eyes ). I sure don't want to damage something on my Swing using my heated gear!

This topic has been on here preciously I believe, and the answers as I recall, were that running all the heated gear "should" be ok. It would be great to have input from someone who actually does run the gear answer my questions above.

Thanks for your input. Smile
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 10:33 am

You need to look at draw for your electric stuff vs output. Although I don't like electric junk, I used some on my second SilverWing, with no negative results. Down jacket under my Darien Jacket works best for me when cold, long underwear, jeans, Darien pants work ok for me. Very important for me, outers being waterproof. Feet, rubber boots over riding boots, keep feet warm as needed.

Hands I have no real answer----cheap ski gloves from Walmart work ok, covered by Aerostich rain mitts work ok in wet and they do provide extra layer when cold.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 10:43 am

I have to identify with both sides of this "issue," even though it was not necessary to jump on a person's offering of his feelings like flies on a carcass. Objectively telling what YOU DO instead of criticizing someone for leaning on the safe side is the better route. Snow on ground today; bike in shed. Sad day today (original post title). Hoping in a few days for a window of dry roads, even though freezing temps could hide a few unwanted black ice patches lurking around the corner. But sometimes I take the risk. None of us appreciate an unexpected slapdown, but even in the best of conditions, this happens. Yes, my choice can really get me into trouble for tempting fate, or make me look like a sissy for locking her up for a few months. But we can respectfully acknowledge others' choices, or ignore them, and then take comfort in our own choices.

Although I'm not addicted to smoking or alcohol, riding and overeating are my two vices. I might live longer with the first two. Let's face it, all of us on this forum are a little touched (negative definition) for risking two wheel danger and discomfort, just so we can sniff the fresh air like our favorite dog with his nose out the window.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:04 pm

Bikehiker,
I'm in total agreement with you. No one should ride beyond their safety level. That level is an individual thing. I am lucky to be able to ride all year round. I do change my riding style when riding in the rain, and it rains a lot here. I feel for members that have to store their bikes for the winter. Go time to tinker with your tinker toy. LOL!!

Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 5:27 pm

This forum is always nice and warm. I'm never cold or uncomfortable. Riding is different: we all have different local weather to contend with. I don't look down on anyone putting their bike up for the winter. I do it myself, probably earlier than most. I know my riding limits and my body's limit. Instead of a short riding season I could shorten my life trying to prove that I can ride in -10C weather, or in a blizzard. You may not set out in a blizzard but it could come upon you.
My riding buddies and myself are all seniors and we have a range of health issues that dictate prudence, and erring on the side of caution. That said, I applaud anyone who rides all year round. I am sure they take all precautions and have years of wisdom under their belt. To each his own: Ride safe, always.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 6:21 pm

At my age I am now a Fair Weather Rider. Way back when I was younger I could stand the cold/cool weather and never gave it much thought. I ride now because I enjoy it but cold and rain takes the enjoyment out of it. It's one thing to get caught in a shower but it's another to go out in it just to say you rode today. I'm old enough to not care if someone thinks I'm a Wuss. It doesn't bother me.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 12:49 am

I spent 36 years in Alaska, 12 of them in an eskimo village north of the arctic circle. So I do have a bit of experience in the low degrees. Used to ride my snogo in -40F, it was for the job not for fun. These days I don't like to be in the cold much. Short rides on my scooter like running an errand in town are okay as long as there's no ice or heavy frost on the roads, but I do like a cage with a heater when I have to go further or really damp cold.

I believe the Silverwing has a shunt voltage regulator. That means the stator is operating at full output as allowed by the engine rpm. Shunt regulation just dumps the extra voltage to ground. That means any excessive additional load only draws the voltage down but doesn't increase the current in the stator coil.

I never had a problem wearing my Gerbings jacket liner and Gerbings gloves at the same time. Just check your voltage at cruising speed with everything turned on. If the voltage holds up to the same level as running the bike at the same speed without the additional load all should be well.
Back to top Go down
cliffyk
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
cliffyk

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 12:51 am

Dale N. wrote:
At my age I am now a Fair Weather Rider. Way back when I was younger I could stand the cold/cool weather and never gave it much thought. I ride now because I enjoy it but cold and rain takes the enjoyment out of it. It's one thing to get caught in a shower but it's another to go out in it just to say you rode today. I'm old enough to not care if someone thinks I'm a Wuss. It doesn't bother me.

Me too.

A man, much wiser than I (Harry Callahan), stated "A man has got to know his limitations."
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 4:26 am

Dale N. wrote:

Yes you do get caught out in the rain or you set out on a ride to a destination when it's raining, do you really wimp out because you have to go out in the wet. If you're caught in light rain or a shower you ride through it and even summer gear can take that and soon dry out. Good riding gear shrugs rain off, or if it's convenient you stop and put on rain gear. It's easy enough if you have all the zippers open on your one or two- piece, and a plastic bag to pull over your boots to stop them snagging on the lining of the pants. With an Airflow the side wings deflect most of the rain away from your gloves and at worst they get damp.

I've been away a few times now and had to do 200 or 300 miles in the rain back to a ferry terminal to an evening crossing. I've found once I'm zoned in to high speed wet riding it's actually quite enjoyable and I'm singing old Seventies tunes to myself inside my helmet. I treat myself to a good hot meal en route, and the only downside of wearing rain gear all day is fighting your way through the layers to answer the call of nature.

Wet weather riding is all part of the game, and like any other outdoor pursuit you need the proper clothing to do it.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 8:11 am

My Wife and I took two rides from MN to FL on motorcycles years ago when we were still young enough to handle it and enjoy the ride. For some reason there were areas of rain between here and there. I sent out requests for no rain while we were on the road but they all got ignored. Go Figure...

The first trip was on my 74 Honda CB750. We didn't hit any rain on the way down or while there. On the way back we hit about 10 miles of rain in 3 little stretches in MS but it was so darned hot and humid that we didn't stop to put on any rain gear. The rain felt good and we dried off in no time once the rain stopped. We also stopped about once per hour not only to fill up the bike but to fill us up on water and air conditioning... We stopped overnight in Cedar Rapids, IA. When we woke up it was 65 degrees. After those 2 weeks in FL's hot weather that 65 degrees felt cold and we had to put on our jackets.

The second trip to FL was on my 1980 Yamaha 850 and we hit about 150 miles of rain on that trip in a few stretches. That trip wasn't as much fun because her health was starting to go down hill a bit. Her tailbone was starting to hurt her pretty much, so at a motel we spent the night at, I went out and cut a deep V into the back of the seat where the lumbar support was to help relieve the pressure. She said that helped a lot. I smeared some black RTV Silicone Seal over the "wound" on the seat and it lasted until I sold the bike a few years later.

That was the last long trip we ever took on any bike. We did put a few 100-200 mile runs on bikes after that but no long trips. After that, with her health problems, she couldn't swing her leg over the seat anymore so that ended my riding until after she passed away just over 4 years ago. I miss her a lot and miss having her on the back with me but sometimes I swear I can still "feel" her on the back. I ask if she's enjoying the ride and I haven't gotten hit in the head yet so I guess she still does like riding with me.
Back to top Go down
2wheelgal
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2016-08-20

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 8:22 am

exavid wrote:
I spent 36 years in Alaska, 12 of them in an eskimo village north of the arctic circle. So I do have a bit of experience in the low degrees. Used to ride my snogo in -40F, it was for the job not for fun. These days I don't like to be in the cold much. Short rides on my scooter like running an errand in town are okay as long as there's no ice or heavy frost on the roads, but I do like a cage with a heater when I have to go further or really damp cold.

I believe the Silverwing has a shunt voltage regulator. That means the stator is operating at full output as allowed by the engine rpm. Shunt regulation just dumps the extra voltage to ground. That means any excessive additional load only draws the voltage down but doesn't increase the current in the stator coil.

I never had a problem wearing my Gerbings jacket liner and Gerbings gloves at the same time. Just check your voltage at cruising speed with everything turned on. If the voltage holds up to the same level as running the bike at the same speed without the additional load all should be well.

Thanks so much Exavid!! That is exactly what I needed to know!! I am going to have a volt meter installed on my Swing in the near future so I can keep an eye on this very thing.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeFri Dec 15, 2017 12:04 pm

cotetoi wrote:
... snipped ... we all have different local weather to contend with ... Jay.

That pretty much sums it up. No bikes on the road here now either and it's not just the cold the rider feels. It's the reduced tire flexibility and grip, the beet juice brine they spray on the roads, the -15* C chill which takes until mid afternoon to warm up and of course, the snow ... of which we've had 2 pretty good events here in my area and the sand/salt recipe they dump on the roads to improve traction and fight the effects of the snow and ice.

Trying to ride a two wheeled vehicle in my area year 'round would be just stupid ... and we all know about fixing stupid.
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-06-17

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeSat Dec 16, 2017 7:16 am

]sonuvabug....
Like comming back from somewhere you've never been.
Tried & failed every time.
Have a very MERRY Christnas to ALL

Joe
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 7:00 am

Sad Day today 20108610

17th June 2017 before coming down from the mountains to the Geiranger fjord in Norway. I was happy to have a new set of Metzeler Wintec Feel Free tyres because the conditions were extremely challenging. Last spring as well as the whole driving season has been colder than it has been for decades.

Happy holidays and good driving season for next year!
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 9:30 am

Leena, Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and everyone on the forum.

PS: If those are the road conditions in June, I can see why you would want to extend your riding season as much as possible. Waiting for a sunny day could take out the entire riding season !!!!
Jay.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitimeSun Dec 17, 2017 3:22 pm

Nice image, especially because it was taken during one of those tempting-fate times when a few degree drop in temp could spell more than challenging moments. That's why the juxtaposition works so well there. That's the kind of daredevil event that we enjoy so much at an early age, but gradually steer from as we "mature" and get a little more sense...though when I stop having fun being stupid, you can just throw dirt on me.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Sad Day today Empty
PostSubject: Re: Sad Day today   Sad Day today I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sad Day today
Page 1 of 1