Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Today at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Today at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?

Go down 
+10
Pastor Ron
Tn Traveler
steve_h80
Jim Caudill
bikehiker
gavinfdavies
Easyrider
oldwingguy
john grinsel
SteveSilverWing
14 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2015-04-17

Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? Empty
PostSubject: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 4:34 pm

I'm always interested in how riders regard the rules of the road: speed, tailgating and general courtesy on the road. It has always been my belief that one aspect of motorcycle/scooter riding, lane sharing/splitting, is dangerous, and I never do it. That brings an interesting thought to mind regarding cars that will tailgate us as we ride the roads. Getting out of a tailgaters way has always been my strategy and always keep a watchful eye in my rearviews for upcoming tailgaters. If we get hit by one, it could mean serious trouble for us as motorcycle/scooter riders.

I am a subscriber to a motorcycle safety channel on Youtube.com produced by Kevin Morris who lives in Dallas Fort Worth, Texas, called "MCrider." He has many years experience as a state-certified motorcycle training instructor. His instructive videos on how to improve riding skills have helped me considerably. Anyways, I stated my opinion in the Youtube.com comments section regarding lane sharing/splitting that I just don't do it because I want to stay alive. Kevin saw my post and followed up with a link to one of his older videos that I found interesting. The video is in favor of lane sharing/splitting. Here is the link:

Texas SB 288 Lane Splitting Bill
https://youtu.be/Mw2gCPIEdBw

According to statistics, it shows far fewer accidents and/or deaths occur when lane sharing/splitting is permitted. Many states in the US permit it, and many do not. Texas, to this day, still does not permit it. California, where I live, does permit it.

What is your opinion on lane sharing/splitting and do you do it? Law permitting, of course. Smile

Thanks in advance for any feedback on this important subject.

Steve

PS check out some of MCrider's newer videos on Youtube.com where he has since bought much better video equipment -- great content and quality.

MCrider with Kevin Morris
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC4gEs8RahtTYiBqsiziudQ
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 7:57 pm

Lane splitting is fine----extra skill is needed. How to you think 2 wheelers get around in Asia and Europe (although forbidden in germany still done all the time.) Near 25 years in Japan=really fun.
SilverWing a little big for many curcumstances but with caution can be done.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 9:46 pm

Not legal in o-HI-o but I've seen people on 2 wheels and 4 use the " safety " lane to worm their way ahead.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2018 10:31 pm

Here on Oahu, the state has added two additional lanes by removing the shoulder lanes and reducing the width of the existing lanes making it a lot narrower between lanes. For that reason I would be against it here on Oahu. Some areas, they actually added three additional lanes and narrowed existing lanes by two feet. Scary for me. I cannot answer if I would do it if I lived in California because I have never ridden there. My son-in-law always moves to the side when he sees a motorcycle approaching, giving the bike more room. It always makes me jump when a crotch rocket zips between our vehicles at 10-20 mph faster than the speed we are traveling. I guess I am not used to seeing bikes zipping between vehicles. Remember to ride safely in this up coming summer! No sense rushing if it will only save you five minutes of travel time.
Back to top Go down
gavinfdavies
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 137
Registration date : 2017-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 11:16 am

In the UK it is legal, but in the advent of an accident the courts would decide liability based on comparative speed. So if you're filtering at 60mph between stationary traffic don't expect any sympathy but do expect a big bill.

Generally, a maximum speed of 25-30mph and no more that 15mph more than the surrounding traffic is considered sensible.

What is frustrating is there here we're not allowed to use the emergency lane at all (even at low speeds), but we're expected to filter between the stationary lanes!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 11:28 am

I believe no matter where one drives in any country there are those that will do it their way regardless of traffic laws. I've seen some WTH were they thinking to many times and try to keep even more aware in those areas.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 5:30 pm

Steve, thanks for good safety info.
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 6:10 pm

bikehiker wrote:
Steve, thanks for good safety info.

You're welcome, BikeHiker! Did you have a chance to check out Kevin Morris' video series? His videos have really help improve my riding skills.

Steve Smile
Back to top Go down
Jim Caudill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2018-03-02

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2018 7:53 pm

I'm a subscriber of the MCRider channel and found his videos very educational and thought provoking. He may seem a little "deadpan" but don't let that get in the way of learning. I don't ever want to stop learning and be content with my rider skills.

A couple of days ago, I went practicing U-turns and figure-8's in a parking lot on the Silverwing. I wasn't impressed with my results! The dis-engagement of the engine at low rpms and speed was very uncomfortable. I tried keeping the revs up a little and dragging the left brake, but not making it work for me yet. I also feel that at 220lbs, I bring the center of gravity up a little on the high side. More work/practice is needed. I may try and take the ERC on the Silverwing - I did it on my GL1500 years ago. Retook the BRC last summer with the son-in-law - on their bikes.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Me, too. Yes, that McRider info is good, and I hope to be giving myself a continual dose of safety info.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2018 3:20 pm

Filtering (lane splitting for the colonials) is standard practice for those this side of the pond. It's just a matter of doing it cautiously, some don't but that evolution in action. :-)
Back to top Go down
Tn Traveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 75
Registration date : 2017-06-17

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2018 12:19 pm

Don't think I've got enough nerve or AIP.. I have seen a few on the
Interstate here in Tn. All were Crotch Rockets. NOT legal in TN. either.
I'd be afraid somebody would open the window throw something in
front of my Swing. I have eased down the emergency lane to see what
the road stoppage all about. If I was waved on thru by those in charge
I proceeded on my way.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2018 2:47 pm

I say skill, slow pace works around the world. US skill rates low, laws do not allow in most places. One advantage of bike is to get thru jams.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2018 4:02 pm

When I rode in SO.CAL. (in the 70's) I lane split during rush hour between SanFernando Valley and SanPedro for about a year. I was also in my late teens early 20's....Since  then, I do not lane split and ESPECIALLY since I ride a trike now
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2018 5:45 pm

Lol, no i can't imagine that working on a trike.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2018 7:48 pm

I cannot imagine riding a wheel in front trike. Remember how your trike tipped over as a child. I do have at least 75,000 miles experience with 3 wheels, though---had 2 Messerschmitts in the 50's but they were pushers with 2 wheels in front---their advantage over motorcycle/scooter or sidecar outfit=heater in winter. They were not bad in snow.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2018 8:25 pm

Messerschmitts Smile I drove a DKW for a couple weeks, 5 speed on the column not 3 in the tree")
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2018 10:14 pm

john grinsel wrote:
I cannot imagine riding a wheel in front trike.  Remember how your trike tipped over as a child.  I do have at least 75,000 miles experience with 3 wheels, though---had 2 Messerschmitts in the 50's but they were pushers with 2 wheels in front---their advantage over motorcycle/scooter or sidecar outfit=heater in winter.  They were not bad in snow.

Is this the kind of Messerschmitt that you mean, John?

Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? 2-mess10
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2018 6:42 am

Yes---I had a '57 used, new '59, $400 used,$6-700 new. Really liked them. Remove front seat you could sleep in them. 200cc Sachs engine, spare tire, enclosed, in oil, dual row drive chain. Heater....radio if you could afford it.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2018 8:13 pm

Only if stuck in a highway jam and its hot. I'll use the edge of road if its paved but to much junk there have to be careful. A holes will open car doors around here as they sit in A/C while I'm overheated.
Back to top Go down
SlvrwngTraveler
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
SlvrwngTraveler

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2017-11-03

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 11:27 am

Hi Steve. Being So-Cal rider for many years I do the splitting every day when commuting to & back from work. I found wing to be stable enough & with good braking power for squeezing thru the stop & go traffic although handling decreases when riding under 25mph. Having a front like sport bike helps too. Other slower moving motorcyclists are letting me go in front of them assuming some super fast sport bike is approaching. motorcycle Thanks for the youtube channel info!
Back to top Go down
SteveSilverWing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
SteveSilverWing

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 11:45 am

SlvrwngTraveler wrote:
Hi Steve. Being So-Cal rider for many years I do the splitting every day when commuting to & back from work. I found wing to be stable enough & with good braking power for squeezing thru the stop & go traffic although handling decreases when riding under 25mph. Having a front like sport bike helps too. Other slower moving motorcyclists are letting me go in front of them assuming some super fast sport bike is approaching. motorcycle Thanks for the youtube channel info!

You are most welcome for the links, SlvrwngTraveler.  Thanks for sharing your experience on lane sharing.  I'm still nervous to make it a regular part of my riding maneuvers, but have begun to use it when riding up crowded on-ramps as everyone waits for their 'green light' to enter the freeway flow.

Have a great day!  It's going to be a really good one!!

Steve Smile
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 10, 2018 1:44 pm

This one is tricky. I will generally pull-in and let tailgaters go by, they obviously have no road sense. During traffic holdups, the traffic on mainland Europe will part to allow motorcycles to go 'down the middle', they're clearly more aware. Low speed is always recommended, at least the wheels are turning while the car's are not. This is becoming more prevalent in the UK I'm pleased to say.

My greatest fear is taking the white line during corners and meeting another bike doing the same coming the other way !!!

It's a risk which I think only experienced riders might take. I'd like to have this discussion over a beer or two! Surprised
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 3:49 am

I'm vary wary of riding when riding on the outside of a line of traffic held up by road works or some problem way up ahead. At times you can almost sense the pent up frustration and annoyance of drivers stuck in a lane of barely moving cars, and if there's not much traffic coming in the opposite direction inevitably some drivers will attempt a U turn to find an alternative route.

All their attention is focused on that gap where they can pull out and make that U turn, they won't be expecting a motorcycle/maxi scooter moving up on their outside behind them, and if you're unlucky enough to be there when they make that turn...

In countries like France and Italy where there's a strong scooter culture, drivers accept riders confidently carving their way through traffic. In Holland, Belgium, and Germany, I've followed other riders riding between slow moving or stopped autobahn traffic. My experience is most drivers accept the practice, some are considerate enough to move out of the way for you, and just a few resent you making progress when they're not and will deliberately narrow the gap as you approach them.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 9:21 am

Experience in Germany lane slipping around long back ups (really against law), Benz or BMW drivers will try to block you or open door...something about their ego problems.  US only had trouble with pickup drivers---they do not like anyone getting ahead...and later as road opens up, they attempt to run you down, again ego or penis problem.  My take.   Japan/Italy/Korea you are expected to go around.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1570
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2018 3:12 pm

Meldrew and john grinsel's comments are quite alarming. I'm not sure how I would react if someone opened a door on me, there would at least be an exchange of words ! Anyhow, we have to remember that they're only jealous because we are moving...and they're not. Use good judgement and let the moron drivers think they've got the upper hand. We all know that we will get there before they do ! Take great care.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?   Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lane Sharing/Splitting - do you do it?
Page 1 of 1