Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.

Go down 
+2
GHM-PM
Meldrew
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. Empty
PostSubject: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 12, 2018 9:09 pm

Having purchased and used 4 new Helix (3 US Market, one Japan Market Fusion--Japanese Market one was same as US Market from Parts book, Riding them a total of 175,000 miles---Japanese one seemed smoother and faster than US models.

Drawback: J rated (62mph rear tire) on bike that would go 70mph or so downhill/tailwind. After long/hard/hot Freeway run in Japan had rear Bridgestone come apart....but I stayed up right....this happened at exit near Iwakuni where I lived and worked. No air loss, limped home on carcass.

Plus:

Easy Valve adjust

Easy drive belt change---no taking clutch apart, just squeeze rear pulley. One drive belt failure near Pulaski VA. Since I always carried spare belt, HRC took me to friend's garage, I changed belt on the spot. Destroyed belt had about 15,000 miles---time for change anyway

Easy oil change, no filter, I carried small drain pan, could change oil in motel parking lot and pour old oil in container and drop off at disposal location. In US I used WalMart house brand 10-40, Japan 10-30 recommended and used.

Now comes the best....low mounted rear trunk, allowed access to tools, rain gear,, etc.
Without disturbing the 2 Ortlieb Rubber bags I used on passenger seat---so once I set bags on rear seat for day, could access what I needed for the day's ride without moving bags.

Things that broke---intake stubs on all, Air box on one, all guts of mufflers shook loose at 30,000 miles----Honda Warranty paid for all replacement of broken parts.

I used old BMW tank bag as "hump bag"

Great sidestand---even worked in the sand of Baja MX, or on snow. Centerstand did its thing. Centerstand perfect.

Some buffeting---tried many different windshields. Tired rider back rests---gave them away. Rear luggage rack hard to find....did use top box.

I liked trailing link front suspension----it did not like winter salt.

All in all enjoyed them as both touring and everday work bike.

Last: foot operated rear brake really handy as balance aide in the slow stuff.

Engine could take endless wide open running.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 3:32 am

I liked my Helix too and kept it for eight years. It did have all the advantages, and faults that you mention. I used to average about 85 mpg Imp. normally, although the fuel consumption suffered badly if I was was on roads with long stretches of hills or and in head winds. It was also scary riding on busy roads in strong cross winds.

When I sold mine and bought a Yamaha Majesty 250, I soon realised it was a mistake and I missed the charm of the Helix for a long time afterwards.

Anyway that was fourteen years ago and I'm not so nostalgic about the Helix nowadays

It didn't have ABS or fuel injection, the headlight was only adequate at best especially on unlit country roads and was hard to adjust. The OE screen was pretty rubbish and was replaced with the much better Sprint Manufacturing, although neither screen offered decent wet or cold weather protection for the hands.

The rear trunk/boot while being very useful for rain suit, spare oil, and other junk had the rear wheel in the way so you couldn't store an open face or full face helmet there. So I fitted a rear rack and 50 litre top box from Non Fango which was a really good addition.

I imported a Utopia back rest for some back support and it was worth it. Although having to stick a sharp knife point through the seat foam to fit the seat post was a bit much. It also made a very handy anchor point for bungeeing Ortlieb bags on the rear seat. I made the perfect tunnel bag from a Chase Harper tank bag which sadly won't fit onto any maxi scooter I've had since.

I also used a magnetic sump plug which was made of a much harder material that that alloy joke on the Silver Wing.

Would I have another Helix? No it was charming, fun, and now very dated so I don't think I would.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2566
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 8:13 am

I never owned/drove a Helix but i am amazed at the mileage people clocked on these 250 size machines...
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 11:54 am

I might add: I have owned 5 Vespas (4 new) Vespa can be made quite buffet free and have hand protection and windshield look over height right, one Daelim 125 (strong and good in Seoul traffic), one ReFlex(more sporty ride than Helix), one TMAX(really fun to ride, complicated drive train), Two new after 2007 Burgman 400's (Heavy, but I liked them) Test ridden BMW Scooter(not for me=expensive Kymco) test ridden Burgman 650 (heavy and maybe not good for the places I ride and want/or need to turn around.

From ownership experience, still find Helix favorite.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 13, 2018 12:02 pm

I for got, 2 new Silverwings, 2009 and 2013 leftover---heavy, weight biased to rear, not much fun to ride, but managed over 90,000 plus miles with them
Back to top Go down
joebillybobinark
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 82
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 14, 2018 6:39 am

ive owned two different Honda Reflex (a '02 and '07) I had just purchased the '07 used (about 10k miles) when the rings went bad. Dealer said the oil was new (I had checked it was full) but she must have been driven low oil for quite some time. a few years later I bought the '02 with 2200 miles. Rode it all over Chicago... fun scoot for city..

career took me to south Dakota and now Arkansas... lotsa interstate riding. 250cc motor just isn't enough for my 300lb frame... and a k7 b400 ran almost 7500 rpm at 75mph on I-30. My '13 Swing is just a great scoot so much so that I also bought a 2012..

why I have two swings is a story that I should share only over a cold frosty adult beverage...
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2018 12:10 pm

The Helix was the only scooter I purchased twice, both new. Totaled first one and purchased another with the insurance money. Great scooters, just a tad bit slow for modern traffic on the interstate.
Back to top Go down
Osprey
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 113
Registration date : 2018-06-30

PostSubject: Re: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2018 6:38 pm

I was on vacation last week and saw this Honda Helix in a parking lot. I hadn't heard of the Helix, so walked over to investigate.
The owner came out and told me that he just returned from a 3 thousand miles trip. I was impressed! Very cool machine.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 07, 2020 10:42 pm

A friend of mine recently saw a Honda Helix and fell in love with it! He asked me if I ever saw one and I say "Owned 3. Know pretty much anything about them.". He is now on the prowl for the newest model he can find. After talking with him and offering to go and look at any he finds with him, I'm starting to feel the love again. Weird because when I purchased my Liberty 150 it is the perfect scooter to me. Fast enough for city streets. EFI, ABS, modern lighting, tall wheels and bought brand new. But for a weekend toy I could possibly see myself with another Helix. Things I learned:
Dunlops toss you on the ground in the wet.
Mufflers suck but Honda warranty will replace them.
Swing arm bolts snap from aggressive riding.
Front brake pads are a PITA to replace.
Front tire a PITA to remove/replace.
Caliper always corrodes/sticks.
Eats rear tires. 6000 miles max.
Buttons on dash fall in dash.
Hagon rear shocks a must!
Clearview windscreen is a must.
I still kinda want one again.......

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.   Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Helix was probably best Touring Scooter for me.
Page 1 of 1