Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs

Go down 
+2
GHM-PM
john grinsel
6 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs Empty
PostSubject: My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs   My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 6:50 am

As I like to get new bike/scooter every year or so, got 2019 Kymco Xtown 300i abs in bright "see me" blue. In US market Honda has nothing new that works for me,, in the weight class/or features I want or need.

Ridden this new scooter not much yet--but added my $40 Bestem box and rack, bolted directly to rear spoiler. Givi has no rack in stock in US for this bike, so could not use my E-46 box. Actually Bestem probably right size for this scooter anyway. Front mudflap I had from Burgman 400

Size of scooter, almost Burgman 400---bike is heavy, but well balanced, really easy up on Centerstand(for those who don't know how to do it the right way)

Non-linked brakes wonderful for me---as I use rear brake as balancing aide in the real slow speed stuff.

Interesting stock windshield works much better(no buffeting for me) than Honda/Suzuki/Yamaha/Daelim scooters I have purchased new in recent years.
After 2,000 miles or so I will have better opinion.

Quality of scooter appears fine, engine older series (who cares?)

Nut and screw valve adjust=simple. Have ordered spare drive belt and shop manual from dealer. My CB300F left there for them to sell.

Price on bike went up for 2019----but with taxes/freight/Lic. was about $4900 out the door--I paid with credit card.

My CB300F 17-18,000 miles no recalls/nothing broke but I will never buy another bike with no centerstand!! Open chain (replacements are cheap, oil with ATF) pain in butt. And hop over to get on with luggage on passenger seat another pain in butt.

I think this new scooter will work fine for me---as always I add no electronic crap, leave drive line stock (and drive line performance/pick up smooth at this point)--always felt want to go faster get a motorcycle. I really enjoy riding scooter as scooter=nice and relaxed while not being a road blocker.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2603
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs   My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 7:02 am

Congratulations John, that should do you fine! Kymco makes good machines; even the motors for the BMW scoots.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs   My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 7:50 am

small moped thumbs up thumbs up it's all about the ride whatever it is, enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs   My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 9:29 am

Congratulations, Mr Grinsel. Glad to hear that your search finally paid off. Nice early Christmas gift.

Please let us know how you get on with Interstate crusing speeds. Seems to me that a 300 is bare minimum for today's Interstate traffic.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs   My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2018 11:38 am

No scooter is fast enough if you want to run in fast lane, even my TMAX----I find, based on experience 250 is about the min. displacement for free way. Am sure Xtown 300i will run ok, 60mph = about 6,000 rpm---pretty sure bike will sprint to 80 mph I use to get out of people's way.

I rode in Germany for near 25 years---where the people know how to drive/ride fast---here they just do not know how and are dangerous. Pickups worst.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs   My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 8:12 am

John be interested in you high mileage views of the Kymco.
Here the brand are trying to resurrect themselves by self importing & I'm told a big display at our big national bike show.
I see plenty in France but here the alleged dealers have stopped selling or push you towards a big four main brand.
I'm tempted by the 400cc & there was a forum guy did high miles on the 300cc downtown.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs   My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 12:57 pm

I have no fear of Kymco in US---my 300 have older type engine. Kymco furnishes engines for BMW/Kawasaki/Suzuki/Yamaha scooter and in Korea Daelim 250 scooter has complete kymco engine and drive line.

Mine seems to ride well, like non-linked brakes- ride though is a little choppy for such a long wheelbase

Time will tell--price and features good for me.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs   My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 23, 2018 4:40 pm

I think my BMW 650GT is about as big and heavy as I'd ever want to go with a scooter. The size and weight does make for good high speed cruising on the freeways and open highway. It's still handier in town than a motorcycle with it's CVT twist to go and ABS. The only downside is that it's harder to find maintenance information for these things and it's harder to work on it than the Silverwing because of the tupperware.
When I bought this machine I was replacing both a scooter and motorcycle. I had a Silverwing and K1100LT. Old age and arthritis dictated I get rid of the motorcycle for the more better seating position on a scooter for someone with shot knees. I liked the Silverwing but also wanted a bit more power and highway performance. Lately with increasing arthritis I find myself mostly using the GT for errands around tow. I'll probably sell the BMW this spring and see if I can find another SW for a decent price for my more circumscribed local use. The lighter weight of the SW and simpler maintenance is becoming more important to me as time goes by.
Back to top Go down

My new scooter---Kymco Xtown 300i abs
Page 1 of 1