Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit

Go down 
+9
Mech 1 twa
sonuvabug
oldwingguy
Cosmic_Jumper
sc00ter
Dale N.
bikehiker
john grinsel
Pastor Ron
13 posters
AuthorMessage
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit Empty
PostSubject: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 11:31 am

I will try and make a long story as short as possible.
Originally BEFORE I purchased my GT3 Motor Trike kit for my Swing, I did heavy research on the maint. of said new part. One of the research was on THE CHAIN. The best method to use on this sealed o-ring chain ( from MANY SO-CALLED EXPERTS) in the field was to first apply kerosene to loosen any grime, wipe off completely then apply your lube. To which I faithfully did every 3rd. fill-up. After 8,000 miles I heard a terrible grinding noise come from my rear sprocket area, pulled over, checked chain, all APPEARED OK, during the ride home (about 50 miles) this happened approx. 3 other times. I called my mech. (who put the trike together) and they said bring it in. I towed it in the next day....and found out today what the problem is: The chain was SHOT...the front and back sprockets BADLY STRIPPED.... COST OF PARTS $350.00...DAYS LABOR? POSSIBLE ANOTHER $660.00 ! My mech. notified Motor Trike to see about my 50,000mile warranty ( not mentioning to them about the kerosene), they said NO WARRANTY, THAT IT WAS WEAR PARTS !!! Really ?! In that manner of reasoning, is not EVERYTHING a wear part ! Sorry, guys and girls but I just needed to vent on this valuable lesson to learn. My only decision now is whether or not to sell the thing after I get it fixed and cut my loses.

I did however, during the course of putting my 8,000 miles on chain, periodically felt a hardness and looseness on chain ( to which) I took it in to my mech, who looked a chain and said all was well !

Lesson learned, go with your gut instinct if you have been riding as long as I have. And get a second opinion from a qualified mechanic. and DO NOT USE KEROSENE ON THIS PARTICULAR CHAIN period, contrary to the so called experts.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 12:39 pm

Problem/s-----open chain, I use ATF, every 100 miles or period
Replacement sprockets should be cheap, I would use reg. roller chain as replacement.

Problem with trikes can be parts (including rubber band drive) are not doing what they were designed to do. If design of trike kit is right, chain and sprockets should easy to do.

Learn to fix yourself.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 12:47 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Problem/s-----open chain,  I use ATF, every 100 miles or  period
Replacement sprockets should be cheap, I would use reg. roller chain as replacement.

Problem with trikes can be parts (including rubber band drive) are not doing what they were designed to do.  If design of trike kit is right, chain and sprockets should easy to do.

Learn to fix yourself.
Do to health restrictions, not possible
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 12:57 pm

or find somebody local to you who can fix.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 1:39 pm

The problem I have being a Motor Trike kit, to be qualified to work on it one must have been trained in their school in Texas. My only other option is to go to Shelby. Which ( if I keep it), I think I will do.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 2:19 pm

Pastor Ron, sorry to hear about this issue. Seems like a lot of money to replace chain and sprockets.

i can see how a chain can become in need of replacement or adjustment at 8,000 miles. But both chain and sprockets shot at 8,000 seems that the drive system must have been enduring a lot of stress to show this result, especially after your careful 3-tankful maintenance. Chain tension issue? Alignment? Could it be that removing lubricant from chain so often would result in multiple time periods of less lubrication until the chain again recovers from the cleaning with full lubrication spreading throughout?

I'm not sure that kerosene, an often used cleaner, could have been the issue. Other chain cleaners may have similar petrol compositions, but maybe some experts on this forum will have good input.

I can see your frustration because you worked hard to PREVENT this kind of issue, and it appeared anyway.

Maybe Dale can give us an update on his trike drive system.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 16, 2019 10:20 pm

As far as my update goes, I haven't put that many miles on my GT3 yet. The chain still looks like new with the same tension as when I got it. As far as lubing it I wipe it off with a rag after I come home from a ride and spray it down with Chain Lube. I don't do this after every ride but I do do it a few times per season. If I'm planning on a longer day ride I will lube it the day before just to make sure.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 5:06 am

Forgive me everyone. After the smoke cleared, I do not blame Motor Trike, they did not do the installation. I just learned a very expensive lesson, however, after I get the new parts installed and I still have too tight of a chain, I will drive it home and sell it.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 6:55 am

Does your trike have o-ring chain or X-ring? If that is the case you were only lubing the sprockets anyway.

My case I would look for cheap replacement sprockets (industrial supply house) and reg motorcycle roller chain as replacement---industrial chain will not cut it.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 9:36 am

Chain and sprockets already ordered and shipped to Honda dealer. All Motor Trike OEM parts.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 9:38 am

john grinsel wrote:
Does your trike have o-ring chain or X-ring? If that is the case you were only lubing the sprockets anyway.

My case I would look for cheap replacement sprockets (industrial supply house) and reg motorcycle roller chain as replacement---industrial chain will not cut it.

O-ring chain
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 10:06 am

I was just informed by motor trike receptionist ( who I had phoned yesterday for info), the tech. advised her, since I was the first to reach 8,000 miles (as far as they knew) with this GT3 kit, 8,000 miles is a NORMAL REPLACEMENT ISSUE. In other words: every 8,000 miles I will need to replace the front and rear sprockets and chain ! Wow, I hate to see her go, but, as soon as I get her back, she will be in excellent condition and SOLD ASAP. May I sincerely offer my apologies to anyone who purchased this kit on MY recommendation. I was unaware that this would EVER happen in such a short amount of time. Their is a possible other explanation: my installer did not do a correct job or, it is what it is (IMO), a design flaw ? Time will tell, I will try and keep up with whoever the new owner will be.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 11:36 am

Did/does you GT3 kit have a weird sounding "bounce" type noise while in motion? Its actually hard to describe, but it speeds up and slows down with the scooter. Its not the belt or clutch, but coming form the kit itself. Now, chain. That does sound like a good chunk of change in relation to miles for a chain and sprocket but my rocket bike gobbled them on a regular basis. Luckily I could do all the service work myself on the bike. If I get around to my local MotorTrike dealer I will ask them for an estimate on the sprockets, just to compare. And selling it depends on how much you truly love it and how much riding you do per year. Ours just gets ridden local around the 'hood, no road trips yet. The other option would be a Can Am Ryker. After our Spyder I have my hesitation with the brand. Insane expensive service work and constant issues.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 12:51 pm

To be honest, at this point in my life, I am tired of the expense of it all. IF I did the work myself, I would consider keeping it. We both travel about  4,000 miles a year and what it takes to maintain our cars vs. Trike....I think I will sale it for 7,000 ( per my dealers suggestion), and move on. I thought about a Goldwing Trike, however, I would still have yearly maint. Expences having to use a qualified mech.; so, my bike riding day's might just come to an end. Sad
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 12:58 pm

sc00ter wrote:
Did/does you GT3 kit have a weird sounding "bounce" type noise while in motion? Its actually hard to describe, but it speeds up and slows down with the scooter. Its not the belt or clutch, but coming form the kit itself. Now, chain. That does sound like a good chunk of change in relation to miles for a chain and sprocket but my rocket bike gobbled them on a regular basis. Luckily I could do all the service work myself on the bike. If I get around to my local MotorTrike dealer I will ask them for an estimate on the sprockets, just to compare. And selling it depends on how much you truly love it and how much riding you do per year. Ours just gets ridden local around the 'hood, no road trips yet. The other option would be a Can Am Ryker. After our Spyder I have my hesitation with the brand. Insane expensive service work and constant issues.

To answer your "bounce" question. The only sound I had is what appeared to be a plastic cracking sound when I would hit a bump or sometimes turning tight corner's, I believe this was caused due to the close tolerance of the fenders to the wheels. The only other sound that I observed was what appeared to be a rubbing sound coming from within my rear axles. To which I was told this was normal.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2019 1:05 pm

I just remembered that when I first got her, there was too much air in the rear tires, when I talked with MT tech. they said I should run between 21 and 24 lbs. in the rear tires. When I did I no longer had any bounce.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 5:58 am

All , this is sad....having spent a lifetime throwing money at motorcycle/scooter things, I would get rid of it-----want to stay on 3 wheels, new Can Am shaft driven 3 wheeler is designed from get go as trike and may be better deal....and safer. Try trade in.

Since after US after- market stuff seems to be built to no safety/tested standard or fit----something made from get go as trike probably better deal and should provide better service and get rid of belts/chains, too.

Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 7:12 am

john grinsel wrote:
All , this is sad....having spent a lifetime throwing money at motorcycle/scooter things, I would get rid of it-----want to stay on 3 wheels, new Can Am shaft driven 3 wheeler is designed from get go as trike and may be better deal....and safer.   Try  trade in.

Since after US after- market stuff seems to be built to  no safety/tested standard or fit----something made from get go as trike probably better deal and should provide better service and get rid of belts/chains, too.

I agree to some point, but NOT a CanAm….They are almost the worse bikes on the market. Harley makes a trike in their factory, but they too have many problems. If I were to ever go back to triking it would be a Goldwing 1800.

Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 9:52 am

The next issue of Motorcycle Consumer News is doing the Ryker review. I just remember the dealer telling me to bring my wifes 2012 Spyder RTSE5 in when it was locking itself. How? It LOCKED ITSELF with the electronic parking brake! Towing is a hassle and most tow companies will pass because of that. Final nail was when the dealer would hook it up to the diagnostic computer for $245, just to have it pull the code. Never again. So Im just saying my "heads-up" when it comes to Can-Am. The Ryker is supposed to change all that. Yeah, whatever.... The Harley Freewheeler is cool and their quality has improved ten-fold. Not many options out there for a factory trike.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 10:47 am

Further to this: I have a lady friend who rode her Motor-Triked Burgy 650 from here (east coast) to the west coast, did some National Parks touring, then headed back home. Incident-free, she got as far as Missouri where the bike refused to move. It turned out to be the same, worn out chain and rounded sprockets, as yours, Pastor Ron. She loaded the Burgy in a U-Haul, drove home, to have it repaired. Coincidently, I'd estimate the trip miles at that point to be a bit over 8,000 miles. And I know for a fact that she never did the kerosine wash thing.

Tim
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 11:07 am

My take on three wheel trikes with one wheel in front=they are dangerous---remember how your trike tipped over then your were a kid And how Honda took their 3 wheel ATV off the market.

My 3 wheeler experience---well over 100,000 km with Messerschmitts---3 wheeler pusher, they were at least manageable and fairly safe as you really had work to raise the inside wheel.
=I will always remember the local cop on his Servicar trying to chase us on our 125's HD----one time inside wheel raised sending him into some yard=no steering control.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 11:46 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Further to this: I have a lady friend who rode her Motor-Triked Burgy 650 from here (east coast) to the west coast, did some National Parks touring, then headed back home. Incident-free, she got as far as Missouri where the bike refused to move. It turned out to be the same, worn out chain and rounded sprockets, as yours, Pastor Ron. She loaded the Burgy in a U-Haul, drove home, to have it repaired.  Coincidently, I'd estimate the trip miles at that point to be a bit over 8,000 miles. And I know for a fact that she never did the kerosine wash thing.

Tim

Thank you VERY MUCH Tim, for that info...there was just something wrong with my mech. telling me it was MY FAULT for putting kerosene on the chain. Again, thank you.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 12:54 pm

Wow 8,000 and a shot drive system sold as NORMAL ? wear, that will cure me of wanting one when the time comes. IF it even approaches their NORMAL I would be looking at a beefier chain and sprocket for the drive system. Looking back at my chain driven bikes I never had a chain / sprocket failure that early, wear yes replacement yes, even the Honda 175 CB was past the 35,000 mile mark before replacement.
How does one adjust your trike chain tension?
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 929
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 1:59 pm

Kerosene is oil. Oil would not hurt the parts you are talking about.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 7:30 pm

oldwingguy wrote:
Wow 8,000 and a shot drive system sold as NORMAL ? wear, that will cure me of wanting one when the time comes. IF it even approaches their NORMAL I would be looking at a beefier chain and sprocket for the drive system. Looking back at my chain driven bikes I never had a chain / sprocket failure that early, wear yes replacement yes, even the Honda 175 CB was past the 35,000 mile mark before replacement.
How does one adjust your trike chain tension?
one must loosen bolts on both swing arms and then turn both sides of adjustment screws
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 9:35 pm

How well doing that can one be sure that wheel alignment / final drive sprocket and drive sprocket are both aligned to each other? The other is as the sprockets wear and the teeth " sharpen and become more pointer the more difficult it is to keep that alignment. Any offset between the sprockets can put the chain in a bind and cause even more wear.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2019 9:42 pm

What size chain does it use? 8k and it's worn out not right. Most motorcycle chain sizes are 520-530 and are very strong. A good chain even on a 100 HP bike will last 20k. 50 HP SW same or more.

Not much info. on their website but sounds like the weak link that should be addressed. I'd also be very disappointed with that problem. $$$ lots of cash on a conversion and it fails.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2019 4:02 am

Makes me feel better for my Voyager trike (four wheels), no chains/sprockets to wear. The Voyager came with the 2004 Swing. Not sure how often I will need to replace the belt. Once the frame bracket is aligned, you just have to adjust the pre-load.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2019 10:15 am

I never had the chain adjusted since it had been put on....the tension was correct until cleaning, then it would loosen, after driving to mech. to check it, it would be tight again. I tried telling what was happening, all they would say is " it seems to be OK now."
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 9:16 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
What size chain does it use?  8k and it's worn out not right. Most motorcycle chain sizes are 520-530 and are very strong.   A good chain even on a 100 HP bike will last 20k. 50 HP SW same or more.

Not much info. on their website but sounds like the weak link that should be addressed. I'd also be very disappointed with that problem. $$$ lots of cash on a conversion and it fails.

The chain is: RK520XSO-100

I have been told (after replaced) that I shuld get 30,000 miles off this chain (if) I do not clean with kerosene, At this time, I am selling my Swing since all parts are 100%. I will be taking pictures and posting very soon. I will be asking $8,000.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 9:29 am

Would it not have been appropriate to add on an automatic chain oiler? Here's a link to a review of some on the market:

https://adventure-motorcycling.com/2014/08/18/tested-tutoro-chain-oiler-reviewed-on-bmw-650/

My 2¢ and 20/20 hindsight

Tim
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 11:43 am

Possibly Tim, but, I will leave that up to the next owner.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2019 7:44 pm

RK 520X is a good chain should have lasted much longer.
Good luck with sale.
Back to top Go down
MsLinda-FL
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2018-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 10:38 am

I'm sorry to hear about your trike kit. I added a Trigg trike kit to my SW 600 about 5 years ago and not had one issue with it as it uses all of the original sw parts to work

mslinda
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 5:17 pm

I had two buyers..... When it came to letting her go.....I COULDN'T DO IT !!! I guess I will keep her around until I will stop riding....If that will ever happen.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 8:22 pm

Good for you. Enjoy . RIDE ON!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 9:11 pm

Pastor Ron, You could try this: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-product/other-products/cleaners-and-protectants/chain-lube/
I use Amsoil motor oil in all my vehicles and it seems to work good. Just don't use kerosene on it again. Get a dedicated chain cleaner if you want to clean it. I just wipe mine off with a rag until I get the gunk off it then lube it. I've done this to all my chain drive cycles and haven't had a problem with any of them.
Just a thought.
P.S. If you don't like Amsoil products make sure you use a good lube and/or cleaner that's dedicated to cycle chains.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeMon May 06, 2019 11:27 pm

I actually enjoy riding ours, much more than I thought I would, so I know how you feel about keeping it. I just hope my wife has the hand strength to slow it down. She did good with the Buddy 125 and the Spyder had a foot brake. She liked the foot brake. I got the front brake working much better but debating ordering a front Malossi Whoop for it to make it even better.??? I still need to get some chain lube. Gonna run to the shop that installed the kit and see what they recommend. I would suggest starting a piggy bank or something to offset the surprise"if" something were to happen again, be it chain or something else. I save around $250 every year in change alone and just roll it over if not needed. Now get out there and ride!
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 8:42 am

Thank you all for your kind comments....I have started a "PM" budget for the trike. Scooter, can you PM me and tell me who did your trike conversion ? I think I would like to drive out there and get a second opinion on my chain tightness from someone else who has actually DONE a conversion. The other two (MT people) within 75 miles of each other CAN do the conversion, but, has not actually done one yet.

Dale, thank you for your suggestion, however, I believe I am using the right stuff know MADE for O-ring chains....and NO kerosene from now on!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 10:13 am

Try ATF as lube---I do//did every 100 miles. Dirt does not seem to stick, so you do not have to waste time cleaning.

Think on your trike, maybe number of teeth on front sprocket and rear may allow chain to hit same spot every time around---there is formula to prevent this---trike maker may not have used it or known in selecting sprocket teeth.

Note: for my recent chain history using ATF---Suzuki GS-500 E, including several trips to Mexico and Central America=43,000 miles on original chain and sprockets, for replacement I used cheap available sprockets and cheap Japanese roller chain...still working fine on bike when I traded at 66,000 miles. My 2017 Honda at 18,000 miles---chain and sprockets ok---one or 2 links binding as it was o-ring, lube on inside gone....traded bike at 18,000 as I was tired of no center stand.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 12:32 pm

I do not think that the chain hits the same due to front being so much smaller than the rear sprocket, I am finding out that many people have their own opinion about their lube of choice, I think I will stick to my recent purchase of Maxima chain wax, at least until I use a few applications to see how well it does. I can assure you, I will be watching my chains history VERY closely.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 3:02 pm

Pastor Ron,
Do you still ride two-up? That will cause your chain/sprockets to wear faster. I believe that Dale rides solo. I would think that chains/sprockets/belts have differing lifespans depending on your riding styles.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 3:04 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Pastor Ron,
Do you still ride two-up? That will cause your chain/sprockets to wear faster. I believe that Dale rides solo. I would think that chains/sprockets/belts have differing lifespans depending on your riding styles.

I do ride solo most of the time except when my wife decides to come down from Heaven and go for a ride with me. But she's pretty light now so there's no extra work for the chain.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 3:47 pm

Yeah Dale, but I bet you can still feel her there riding with you. Say HI to her for me. Ride safe!

And as Pastor Ron says, "Ride with miles of smiles".
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 7:05 am

Easyrider wrote:
Pastor Ron,
Yes, I usually ride two up.....I came to the conclusion that it is what it is.. If I spend the time riding, I'll spend the time buying...why ? Because you can't take it with you.
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2019 6:40 am

An odd number front and even number rear sprocket will do what you need. And I would have expected at least a 525 chain on a strike if I'm honest.
Good to know you haven't given up on riding yet 😃
Back to top Go down
Hiyo
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Hiyo

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2019-10-22

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitimeMon May 18, 2020 12:37 pm

A bit late but here goes. That's an industrial chain on that rig but is not very long so it makes lots of trips around compared to a regular mc per wheel revolution. The alignment is critical and a pain in the arse. I measure the axle relationship to the rest of the machine. I hit mine with WD40 and wipe clean and then reapply any good waxy chain lube. No solvents. About every other ride or when it looks dirty as an interval for maintenance. It sounds worse than it is, but the chain is exposed. The adjustments suck but aren't as necessary as often as you might think. If you could feel the sprocket teeth when riding, it's too tight. I went with about 1/2" of Freeplay. There is about 7000 miles on this rig I believe to be as a trike. No excessive wear I could see.
Also I built new supports for the fenders and run about 20-25# in the rear tires.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit   Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sad news about my GT3 Motor Trike kit
Page 1 of 1