Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

seat choices for our Silverwings

Go down 
+11
MikeO
Easyrider
Az Kicker
sc00ter
Meldrew
Dale N.
Pastor Ron
Delray
dspevack
john grinsel
gustav
15 posters
AuthorMessage
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 191
Registration date : 2019-04-13

seat choices for our Silverwings Empty
PostSubject: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 7:15 am

Hello Everybody, let's hear your experiences with Corbin versus stock seat. I want one, wife says wait. How do the passengers feel about them? Thanks, Paul
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 8:36 am

#1 There is nothing wrong with the SilverWing Seat---I speak from over 90,000 miles with 2 new SilverWings.

#2 Changing seat does not overcome being out of shape/ too fat/not riding enough, etc

Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 9:54 am

Corbin is a stiffer seat. has available backrest support that feels great.
When ordering you can get it custom contoured to be higher, lower, or with a straighter butt rest.
Lots of material options, and their new "Fire & Ice" Heater/cooler. accessory. Also a massager I think.

Stock, softer has buttrest, but there is a buttrest to backrest coversion.
Not as nice a backrest as corbin but if you like the softer seat its a good alternative.

There is no one right answer. Personal preference all the way.

Corbin will be @ Wing Ding Rally August 27 - 31, 2019 Nashville, TN, maybe that's close enough for a ride for you. More details on their website.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 397
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 12:02 pm

"I want one, wife says wait."

Tell your wife if she loves your a**, she will support this choice.

But I am curious. Wait ... for what? More soreness? Less support? Fewer pleasurable rides?

The first time I sat on a Corbin it felt like a wooden bench. I said that to the salesman. He smiled and said, "Yep, there's a reason for that." Corbin has more padding. It's firmer. It provides more support for your spine. Whereas a stock seat will eventually sag after a couple hours of riding, a Corbin remains firm. That keeps you comfortable.

They also mold to the shape of your bum, like Birkenstock foam that adapts to your foot. The longer you wear it, the better it fits. The other benefit is that it adds some shock absorption to the Wing's woefully inadequate setup. The bumps aren't quite as bone-rattling.

I've had three Corbin's and wouldn't ride without one. It's a totally different and better Silver Wing experience.

Only downside is expense and wait time -- usually six weeks and a bit longer if you customize it. I always have the butt rest measurement pushed back a few inches so I can stretch my legs out completely.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 1:53 pm

I had the oem seat for about 2 years, then, I added the Air Hawk cushions for front and rear, then, a couple of years ago I bought a Corbin (without the back rests), ......I SOLD BOTH AIR HAWK CUSHIONS. My wife and I both agree, one of the best purchases I ever made.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 5:05 pm

I'm not really sure but I think the seat on my 08 is stock. The only thing I did to it was put a cushion type cover on it that lets the air flow under my butt. I've never had a problem riding for a few hours with it. Maybe it's just me or that I'm cheap and don't want to spend the extra Bucks but I'm happy with it the way it is.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 6:20 pm

I never had a problem with the stock seat on my Silver Wing in the eight years I had it. I remember once fitting my Airhawk on a tour to Germany simply because I had one, and after day one I didn't use it again as it was totally unnecessary.

I've mentioned a few times that choosing synthetic undershorts with no seams round the butt area are a  easy way of being all day comfortable on rides because there's no seams to cause pressure'hot spots' on your bum cheeks.

Alternatively invest in a pair(s) of Moto-Skiveez Cruiser Shorts with cycling shorts type padding specifically designed for the cruiser/maxi scooter feet forward style of riding. They're US made and I can't remember anyone mentioning them on here. I'm a Brit and I know all about them as I bought some a couple of years ago.

Any of these options are a more sensible and darn sight less expensive than air cushions and fancy custom seats that aren't really necessary for the vast majority of the year, or even in the fabled 'riding season'.

Of course cycling regularly conditions your butt too and I no longer get saddle sore as in the early cycling days.

I've never had to use that Anti-Monkey Butt Powder I bought in a Ace Hardware store in Texas a few years ago either.  Crying or Very sad

As I now ride the new Forza 300, it's stock seat is probably the most comfortable one I've ever parked my pert bum on.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 7:17 pm

Thanks all. Keep 'em coming! Have to admit those Cobins are good looking. Am also thinking large sheepskin pad and no stock backrest as you really gain a lot of leg room without it. Paul
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2019 11:11 pm

I actually really like the stock seat on the Swing. When my wife bought her Swing it came with a Corbin and the stock seat was long gone. Then, when I got my junky Swing I found it was torn up. Cant seem to win. I do like the Corbin but dont like keeping the rain and sun off of it. Wife likes it because it has a backrest. So its mostly a wallet/style decision if you ask me. Wanna hear crazy? I bought a 98 Yamaha Zuma for $400. In nice shape overall but I had to completely go thru it, so add another $200ish in parts. The stock seat is really soft and my cheeks hit the pan molding, so I ordered a Corbin for it, $400-same price for the scooter! It gets covered with a Cool Ass cover when parked and lives in a garage when not being ridden!
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 5:52 am

Long day comfort in summer=no underwear, Seems stupid to me to spend $500 (?) on seat when older bike only has $2000-$3000 value. Added accessories never add any value when you sell bike, unless to idiot.

Foot forward riding position does really nothing for all day comfort. Think spine.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 7:37 am

Probably the same reason I spent 2,500.00 on a bed.....I am at the age where comfort is important to me, and I have worked hard all my life so that I can have comfort in my old age, instead of scrimping by in life like some have to do. Therefore I am not a grumpy person.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 8:55 am

"I have worked hard all my life so that I can have comfort ... Therefore I am not a grumpy person."

Amen, brother. Life puts a lot of pressure on us. We need to take it easy on ourselves, at any age. And I'm with you on the value of a great mattress, too.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 9:37 am

I'm retired and grumpy too, what the bed I'm sleeping in has to do with it I've no idea. I'll be getting up in the middle of the night to take a leak no matter how comfortable it is. I'll be sleeping in a strange hotel bed tonight too, and as long as that bloody air con unit outside on the balcony doesn't keep me awake I'll be fine.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 12:03 pm

Some have learned how to defeat obstacles in life....and some have not. I give credit to where credit is do: TO GOD BE THE GLORY
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 12:36 pm

Others have also gained the knowledge and wisdom of the correct products for drive chain lubrication.  They also instictively know that a maxi scooter forum isn't the place to remark on taboo subjects like religion, guns, and politics.

Last edited by Meldrew on Wed May 08, 2019 4:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Az Kicker
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Az Kicker

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2013-08-22

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 1:34 pm

My riding buddy and I both have Russel Day-Long saddles on our Swings. They are amazing.

We did a ride from Phoenix to Yellowstone and back (3000 miles) in seven days, temp ranges 108F to 32F, in full riding gear... no sore butt! Knees, well that's another story.

My buddy is 6ft4in and says his custom seat is the single best comfort investment he's made.

They are expensive, and you have to send your seatpan to them so your bike is down a while, but when my previous scooter met it's untimely end I simply moved the custom seat to the brand new Swing and was instantly comfortable again.

I too am at the age where comfort is worth paying for.
Back to top Go down
http://AzKicker.com
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 3:43 pm

When I purchased my used 2002 Swing, it came with a Corbin seat. I instantly disliked it. I do not have a large butt and sitting on the Corbin seat felt like I was seating on hard saddle. Within 20 minutes of riding, my butt cheek bones hurt. The seat was covered with leather. At the time I could not afford replacing the seat. When I purchased my 2013 Swing, I instantly enjoying the softer seat. It fit my butt just right.
I would suggest to anyone looking to replace the seat is to find a bike that has the seat you are looking at and sit on it. Check if it changes the height for you. Better yet if you could take it out for a ride. My 2¢.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 4:11 pm

I have the stock seat but have on my bit a piece of Oxford Blanket Multi Purpose Anti-Slip Mat with a motorcycle bead seat on top of it to massage my cheeks!

It helps keep my nethers slightly cooler than sitting directly on the plastic ... at least I think it does; it may be all in the mind.

Either way, I won't be buying a custom seat in the foreseeable future.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 4:19 pm

MikeO wrote:
I have the stock seat but have on my bit a piece of Oxford Blanket Multi Purpose Anti-Slip Mat with a motorcycle bead seat on top of it to massage my cheeks!

It helps keep my nethers slightly cooler than sitting directly on the plastic ... at least I think it does; it may be all in the mind.

Either way, I won't be buying a custom seat in the foreseeable future.
Thanks Mike, Tried the beads in the past, did not work for me! Have found a really good looking sheared sheep skin, thinking it over.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1987
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2019 9:19 pm

MikeO wrote:

Just curious MikeO, How do you ride your SWing with your face on the seat?
Sorry, I couldn't help myself... bounce Laughing
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 5:32 am

You don't really want to know, Dale! Razz
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 11:01 am

Meldrew wrote:
Others have also gained the knowledge and wisdom of the correct products for drive chain lubrication.  They also instictively know that a maxi scooter forum isn't the place to remark on taboo subjects like religion, guns, and politics.
One mans trash is another man's treasure.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 12:03 pm

Let it go, gentlemen.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2015-06-13

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 12:44 pm

On my third Silverwing and I always remove the driver's backrest to gain a few inches and allows me to place my butt on the passenger seat on long rides. For my 5'8" frame @ 150 lbs. the swing seat feels great period.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 1:14 pm

Seats for SilverWing, I have some suggestions:

First if acquiring new out of the box---ride it 5000-10,000 miles then decide if spending on seat even necessary

Second, if old....and most of them are now----standard foam may just be worn out/crushed---I would replace foam using standard cover.

Third: most custom seats ain't good in rain---think leather, or if sewn pattern on top, each needle hole sucks in water....can provide wet butt for several days.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 2:45 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
Let it go, gentlemen.
Thank You "Cosmic Jumper" Paul
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeThu May 09, 2019 8:43 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Seats for SilverWing, I have some suggestions:

First if acquiring new out of the box---ride it 5000-10,000 miles then decide if spending on seat even necessary.

If you rode 5,000 miles and are in pain you probably need a chiropractor. If you rode 10,000 miles and are still in pain you need psychiatric help.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 5:14 am

Pain: take a couple of Aspirin, get in shape, get rid of some body weight, get off and walk around every 50 miles.

Comfort wise SilverWing has two bad points: OEM windshield causes misery of one sort or another, feet forward riding position just not good for body,and third maybe handle bars too high.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 1:24 pm

I'm quite amused by this topic, no one decides to change their car seats because their butt is a bit sore after a long journey. An eight or nine hours sitting in an Economy Class aircraft seat leaves you feeling pretty much the same, but it doesn't ever convince you break out the plastic and go Business or First Class on all future flights.

So why not man up and say buying a custom seat for a scooter that's now been on the go for almost 20 years is nothing more than another example of cash rich old men farkling for the sake of it.

Could it be be they don't spend enough time on the stock Silver seat and their boney old butts are out of condition by too much time sitting on the Layzee-Boy.

By the way I'm currently in Italy, and I've seen literally hundreds of scooters in the last couple of days. The ones not being ridden balls out using both sides of the roads Italian style are parked up everywhere, and I've yet to see a single one fitted with a custom seat.

Last edited by Meldrew on Fri May 10, 2019 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
mjmanley51
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2019-05-10

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 3:13 pm

I am new to the forum. Once upon a time I had a Bergman 650 (long gone). Because I am 6'5" I needed more leg room. What I found out about the Corbin seat with driver backrest and $650.00 later was that it put me up about 2 inches (which was no problem) and it pushed me back about 3 inches which was good for extra leg room. The draw backs for that seat was the passenger did not have as much room as with stock seat and the Corbin seat was much heavier then the stock. Before of the extra weight the seat would not stay up when opened. Otherwise it was a great saddle. Thanks. Scooterguy Mike
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 6:42 pm

excuse me for asking a simple question
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 7:34 pm

gupstav wrote:
excuse me for asking a simple question
It was a simple question, your new to this forum, please do not let some turn you off from asking questions, some, usually interfere with others to try to appear wise, take what is given and come to your own conclusion.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 7:55 pm

"excuse me for asking a simple question"

Asking about a Corbin seat is a brilliant question. The benefits are significant. More stability (creates a more grounded center mass for the bike). Better for your health (more padding = less of a beating on your spine). More comfort (see previous). Longer lasting (leather). More attractive (and why not?).
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 8:05 pm

Convert the seat bumper to a back rest . I'm having issues pasting a link for Ebay sorry.

Seller ezntexas $ 59 Search Silver Wing back rest. Much more room and a nice back rest to boot. Nothing to modify and can be removed.

I like mine 5 11 and long legs .
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 8:35 pm

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Convert the seat bumper to a back rest . I'm having issues pasting a link for Ebay  sorry.

Seller ezntexas $ 59  Search Silver Wing back rest. Much more room and a nice back rest to boot. Nothing to modify and can be removed.

I like mine 5 11 and long legs .  
Thanks mech 1. looked it up looks good. Does it interfere with passenger comfort? Paul
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2019 9:16 pm

I don't ride with a passenger.? It puts you back farther so it takes away some rear seat space.
Back rest is also much higher than stock seat so on-off for pass. must be harder. If you don't put bolts in it can slide out of seat and back in very easily. Bolts under seat for bumper spacing- adjusting.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: seat choices for our Silverwings   seat choices for our Silverwings I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

seat choices for our Silverwings
Page 1 of 1