Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

bringing scooter out of storage

Go down 
+5
Easyrider
cotetoi
Delray
oldwingguy
bonehead
9 posters
AuthorMessage
bonehead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2019-06-27

bringing scooter out of storage Empty
PostSubject: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 7:45 pm

Hi ya'll. I have a 2003 silverwing that has been stored for maybe 4 years. I Just put in a new battery, pumped up the tires and rode it around the block. Trying to figure out why I let it sit for so long.  Some times life gets in the way, lol.  Surgeries on the right knee and hip probably had something to do with it. It has just under 10,000 miles. I would have changed the oil at 7000 with mobile 1. I'm sure an oil and filter change is in order but would I be taking a chance riding 50 miles to the location I'd prefer to work on it?  Are there other issues I should address? Do the belts on these deteriorate with time or is that more just a use issue. It started immediately and runs fine in spite of the old gas, so of course the temptation is to just start riding. I guess at 64 my instinct is to err on the side of caution. Thanks for any advice on how to get back on the road, Mark
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 9:08 pm

After 4 years I would change antifreeze, flush bleed the brake system, check tire condition and being me probably change the drive belt just to start out fresh, with the low miles brake pads should be good but inspect them and the rotors, maybe remove pads and clean the working parts. Oil and filter would be a given.
Back to top Go down
Delray
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Delray

Number of posts : 399
Registration date : 2018-07-07

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2019 9:46 pm

I have a gut feeling you could bury a Silver Wing ten feet in the ground, leave it there until the year 2050, dig it up, slap in a new battery and it would start. Oh, it might cough a few times, but it would start.

Which is to say, I don't think you're going to hurt it riding it 50 miles to work on it. I'd warm it up real well first to make sure the fluids and oils are circulating.

As far as updating, I agree with new coolant, brake fluid, oil and filter. I'd change the gear oil because it's so easy, as are new spark plugs. Definitely check the date stamp on the tires; if they're more than five years old I would install new ones.

Same with the drive belt, although I bought two 2003's in the last two years with original belts and they were both in excellent condition when I checked. As long as there is no oil or grease visible in the belt case I'd say you'd be fine for awhile if the belt looks good.

Definitely take a look at the air filter and CVT filter inside the first of the three belt case covers.

I'd buy a can of Brakleen and spray the bejeebers out of both calipers and rotors. I do that once a year with paper plates as a backstop to keep the spray focused and an oil pan on the ground to catch the runoff. It removes a ton of grime and the parts look shiny and new.

Is your 2003 Candy Glory Red? Man, I love that color. I've considered buying 2003 tupperware in that color to put on my black 2012 -- maybe just selected panels since revamping the whole bike would get pricey.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 8:15 am

My 2 Cents.
I would check the working status of the electrics: lights, blinkers, dash lights, and any warning lights on the dash that don't go out when they should. Four years of rest won't affect the drive belt in my opinion. It is an expensive item, same for the brakes. OEM Pads don't wear out from sitting. Cheap ones might corrode and separate. Seafoam is your friend as far as the gas and the injection system are concerned. Biggest concern would be tires: as mentioned before , check the date stamp: four digits stamped on the tire wall. First 2 are the week and the last 2 are the year. 2014 would mean 20th week in 2014 ( May 2014 ). Check the feel of the brake levers, and function before you go too far. If you had to do an emergency stop, you'd have to be sure you can !
Safety first; after 4 years you should take an inventory of your skills: practise in a safe place if necessary. A lot of it is common sense, and your own observations.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 11:14 am

As to your question. Check for cracks on your tires. If you see any then do not drive the 50 miles. If no cracks, drive slow to your repair location. Test your brakes and make sure that you have enough fuel to make the 50 miles.
Back to top Go down
bonehead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2019 7:57 pm

Thanks for all the advice. The tires are 5yrs old but look perfect and have excellent tread. It's always been inside. I've checked the brakes and they seem fine. I think I'll ride her home and start on the checklist You've collectively provided. Just sold an old elite 80 for $500, so that should give a good start on getting this one in top shape. I'll have my wife shadow me and carry my AAA card, lol.Yeah, she's red. Thanks again, Mark
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1600
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 6:51 am

Ditto all of the above. Did you 'prime' the engine and final drive before starting? Trivial?...maybe but I always prime the engine until the pressure light goes out after an oil change or if the bike has been standing for a while. Naturally, the oil will drain under gravity and I don't like the thought of un-lubricated metal grinding together before the oil starts flowing.

Just a thought.... clown
Back to top Go down
bonehead
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 12:27 pm

yeah, it's intuitive to let it idle for a bit while checking brakes, signal lights and those sorts of things. I am totally amazed at how easily it started up. As if I'd ridden it yesterday. Thanks
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1600
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 12:48 pm

That's why we choose Honda. The SW deserves more cred!

I keep looking out for an additional bike to take the load off the SW but I haven't seen anything which ticks all the boxes in the same way. Apart from all the stuff mentioned above I think you'll find your resurrection in good running order. Hope you get to enjoy it in all it's glory once again bounce
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 6:03 pm

I just picked up my Swing from my storage location in Post Falls Idaho. I keep it on a battery tender while stored. Turned the ignition on and waited a few moments to let the fuel pressurize. Bike started on first try. My rear tire was very low and I rode it to a service station and aired it up. Rode it about 5 miles to my daughters house. There I checked the oil, brake fluid, coolant level, all tires for punctures and air pressure. Checked all the lights. Heading on our road trip to Seattle then on to Vancouver for a few days, then to Victoria. Returning through Seattle then on to Coeur d'Alene Idaho. All in about ten days.
Just need to check what tools I need to take with us.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 6:25 pm

Have a great time. Nothing like a riding vacation to relax and see some new sights.
It's about the ride I don't like setting times and destinations to be somewhere. Traffic weather and interesting sights are always a distraction. Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2019 7:35 pm

2003 is old bike in my world----first after sitting for 4 years, I would make sure fueling/gas tank/ fuel injection are in order and working right---then of course tires, drive belt should be replaced period, check replace all fluids, make sure such things as side stand and centerstand pivots are oiled----good wash wouldn't hurt----rest=just ride and see what happens.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: bringing scooter out of storage   bringing scooter out of storage I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2019 4:01 pm

Loosebearing said: "That's why we choose Honda. The SW deserves more cred!"

You put in a new battery, pumped up the tires, and rode it around the block on five-year-old tires.

Therefore, you should do the following:

1. Mount.
2. Start.
3. Twist and go 50 miles for a check up.

If you want it to last 100,000 miles, just keep up normal maintenance.

If you want it to last 101,000+ miles, take all of the above suggestions.
Back to top Go down

bringing scooter out of storage
Page 1 of 1