Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Passenger Back rest
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:17 am

» New to the forum
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:18 am

» Gulf shores, AL
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby Mauryturnsoutitsmine99 Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:52 pm

» Searching for Honda or After Market Part
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:22 pm

» A strange howl
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rattles Gone

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 11, 2019 10:36 pm

I now have a rattle free Silver Wing. I've been chasing rattles since I got this scooter and today out on a rough road it was rattle free.

I've been snugging up screws, taping joints in the plastic to locate the sources of a bunch of rattles and today I seem to have gotten them quiet at last. Taping works on some rattles, just cover s few joints with masking tape and see if any thing changes rattle wise. I do a few at a time until I can find the cause. On a particular plastic piece I loosen all the fasteners and then snug them back down evenly to reduce any bulging between fasteners or uneven stress.

Today's test was the windshield. I found some screws loosely fastened and some tight. After evening up the tension on them a test ride showed I got 'em all. At least for now I can go over bumps without a rattle and any speed without a buzz.chickendance
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1030
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2019 1:37 am

Just means it's fell off :-)
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2019 8:54 am

Good for you, if it doesn't rattle or buzz how can you tell it's running SmileSmile
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2019 4:30 pm

I didn't say the buzz was gone. I hear it whenever I turn that right hand grip. Rolling Eyes

But then as a long time Goldwing owner and rider I've had plenty of practice in "de-rattling". My first Goldwing a 1983 GL1500 was a pure cacophony of rattles, buzzes, rumbles. I've owned all models of Goldwing from the 1000 to the 1800 and they all liked to complain on rough roads and especially crossing railroad tracks.
Back to top Go down
Jim Caudill
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 39
Registration date : 2018-03-02

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 12, 2019 6:47 pm

I had gotten used to my rattle-trap and decided to investigate the other day. I repaired 5 broken/cracked attach points on the two side panels. Replaced two missing screws from below the taillight, removed the windshield and reworked the GIVI reinforcing plate and a cracked ear on the windshield, replace two "well-nuts" and added a couple of fender washers to the lower mounting screws, and repaired a locking tab on the windshield garnish. I think some of this happened when I dropped my scooter 3 times from a dead stop this summer. Bottom line is that the scooter sounds and feels "rock-solid". I never would have thought it could sound so solid and rattle-free.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 14, 2019 1:41 am

It is nice isn't it. My scooter really hums along with only the engine sound now. Seems to make the bike feel a lot more solid on the road, not really of course, but gives that sensation.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 11:43 am

For rattles, I used small stainless sheet metal screws---drilled small starter holes for them. My 2 SilverWing had no broken tabs....and I bought them new and knew their history.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 15, 2019 11:40 pm

My budget doesn't allow for buying bikes or scooters new so I get a lot of practice working on them as well as rattle hunting. Besides bikes I've had to spend on airplanes, sailboats, target rifles and pistols (competitive shooting), so many things to play with, so little time and funds.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 6:48 am

Buying bikes and scooters new for me has been cheaper in the long run, as I use them for everything and expect 50,000 miles or so with no or little trouble---I am not constantly fixing other people's mistakes. I tend to buy cheaper stuff----Current Kymco XTown 300i ABS about $4200 and at near 9,000 miles=no trouble, extra expense. Warranty 2 years.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Rattles Gone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Rattles Gone   Rattles Gone I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 16, 2019 4:47 pm

Nice if you can afford it.
Back to top Go down

Rattles Gone
Page 1 of 1