Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Givi AF214 Airflow Adjustable Windshield install on 2012 SW
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 10:58 am

» Drive faces
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Power to gps handlebar mounted
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:32 pm

» Easy gps connection to brake switch
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:14 pm

» First impressions of the silver wing
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:24 am

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:22 pm

» From Dayton, Ohio
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:05 pm

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem

Go down 
+5
sonuvabug
Dale N.
Marvincon
Cosmic_Jumper
rowlingstone
9 posters
AuthorMessage
rowlingstone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2020-04-27

Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem Empty
PostSubject: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 9:57 am

Hi guys I am a new member now. I have always loved motorcycles even when I was 9 and got my first mini bike, thats when it started. Ive had many bikes since then and now I have a full dress Harley electraglide a Goldwing, a couple regular 150cc scooters and my newest bike a 2003 Honda Silver wing FSC 600. I love the ease of the step through bikes now that I am 65 so its a lot easier than my Electraglide to back out of the garage and get pointed in the right direction ha ha. They are all easy to drive but maneuvering them when they are turned off into different spots seem to be the hard part. Anyway the gas gauge was blinking on my new silverwing so I went to fill it up and it was already full. I figure the sending unit was not working good but ive never worked on the silverwings yet so if there is any good advice I would be thank full. Does the sending unit come separate than the whole fuel pump unit and its in the tank im sure so let me know,in the past I have cleaned up the electrical slider the float controls on other vehicles but I dont know about any of it yet. Is the tank a lot of work to get to ? can you pull the assembly out of the tank without removing the tank?  Of course I am waiting for the complete shop manual to arrive which I always get when I buy a new bike but its a week away still. So I know there is a lot of good info out there with all you guys so I look forward to talking to everyone,( once I figure out all the post it rules and how to's) thanks guys.   Randy
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 10:55 am

Hello Randy. Welcome to the forum.

It sounds as if you’ve got gunk & varnish on the sending unit coil/wiper. While the real fix is to remove the pump/sending unit (yes, they are one assembly), the more practical approach is to use Techron or Seafoam treatments to the fuel tank. Think one bottle of Techron over the next 3 tanks full for starters.

The tank drops out from the bottom which, unfortunately, necessitates removing everything forward of, and including, the seat. Meanwhile you could remove the seat undercover to expose the fuel pump/sending unit plug and check do a voltage check. The pump is 12 volts, the sending unit is 5 volts.

Please keep us posted. We all benefit from shared information.

Tim

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:44 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 8:35 am

Yes the fuel sensor is attached to the fuel pump unit in the tank. I have a brand new unit in mine and the gauge does not go below full until about 46 miles. Just let you know. Maybe I just over fill it?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 9:01 am

One other thing: When you turn the ignition ON does the fuel gauge sweep to FULL and then drop to flashing? If it does then that it indicates that the Combination Meter display is good.

If it doesn’t then you should access that 4 pin terminal at the fuel pump and jumper the 5 volt (Sending Unit) connection to see whether that moves the fuel gauge. Be very cautious, the other connections on that 4 pin terminal are 12 volts. Applying 12 volts to the Sending Unit circuit will allow the magic smoke to appear at the Combination Meter and/or toast the Sending Unit

Edit: The wiring color codes for the Sending Unit are, Gr/Bl and G/Bl.

Last edited by Cosmic_Jumper on Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Marvincon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Marvincon

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2019-05-06

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 9:18 am

Until the manual arrives, try this;
https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Honda/Honda%202002-2013%20%20Silverwing%20600%20Service%20Manual.pdf
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 10:06 am

Welcome aboard this board Randy!
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 10:20 pm

Welcome aboard Randy to the BEST SWing site on the net.

And like Tim said, try techron or seafoam first. It might just be gunky. I use seafoam especially when I put it away for the winter. I usually dump 1/2 can in the tank and fill it full. Then I take it for a few mile ride to make sure it's circulated nicely. Never had a problem with it. It wouldn't hurt to also do that for the first few tanks even/if the gas gauge starts to work properly. It will make sure all the gunk is gone.

I also use it in my snowblower and lawn mowers. I dump 1/2 can in my 5 gallon gas can and fill that up. Sometimes it takes 2-3 years to use it all but no problems there either.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 29, 2020 8:30 am

Dale N. wrote:
... snipped ... I use Seafoam especially when I put it away for the winter. ... It will make sure all the gunk is gone. ...I also use it in my snowblower and lawn mowers.

^^^ This! ^^^ I use Seafoam in all of my engines including my truck's diesel engine. It is the best degunker/decarbonizer and fuel stabilizer I have found over the years. And it will not hurt your engine! Go to their website and check out their videos.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 30, 2020 2:35 pm

When you have the fuel pump assembly out you can clean the tank fairly easily. Reach in the hole, break cleaner and a rag gets the varnish out. I had to replace the whole fuel unit and wash the black tar out of the tank when I bought my SW that sat in a garage for 10 years.
Back to top Go down
gustav
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 192
Registration date : 2019-04-13

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2020 12:54 am

No doubt about it, SeaFoam is the best there is! imo, Paul
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeFri May 01, 2020 9:19 pm

Look inside tank with a good flashlight . Rust-gunk???
( Think one bottle of Techron over the next 3 tanks full for starters. Quote. ) 1 ounce per gallon of fuel.
Techron can remove junk on sending unit slider but not a overnight fix.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeSat May 02, 2020 10:01 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
Look inside tank with a good flashlight . Rust-gunk???
(  Think one bottle of Techron over the next 3 tanks full for starters. Quote. )   1 ounce per gallon of fuel.
Techron  can remove junk on sending unit slider but not a overnight fix.

Agree but one other thing makes it work more efficiently and that is run the tank level down to at least 1/8 of a tank before the next treatment, better wait until the reserve bars are flashing. Reading the bottle instructions you will see UP TO xxx gallons, adding the entire bottle won't hurt.
Back to top Go down
rowlingstone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 12:50 am

[quote="Cosmic_Jumper"]Hello Randy. Welcome to the forum.

It sounds as if you’ve got gunk & varnish on the sending unit coil/wiper. While the real fix is to remove the pump/sending unit (yes, they are one assembly), the more practical approach is to use Techron or Seafoam treatments to the fuel tank. Think one bottle of Techron over the next 3 tanks full for starters.

The tank drops out from the bottom which, unfortunately, necessitates removing everything forward of, and including, the seat. Meanwhile you could remove the seat undercover to expose the fuel pump/sending unit plug and check do a voltage check. The pump is 12 volts, the sending unit is 5 volts.

Please keep us posted. We all benefit from shared information.

Yes I will try the seafoam first, the gauge seems to work well it goes all the way up when turned on then down to 1 and blinks. I am not ready to tear it all down yet so I will just watch the miles for now and try the seafoam or techron first and see how it goes for awhile. Thanks for all the good tips !
Back to top Go down
rowlingstone
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem   Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem I_icon_minitimeWed May 06, 2020 12:55 am

Well the first thing I will try is using the techron or seafoam first as I am not ready to tear it all apart just yet, I will watch the mileage and run it down to almost empty a few times and add the additive and see what happens, Then if I have to I will buy the unit and install it. The gauge does go all the way up before it comes back down and then settles on 1 bar and blinks so im sure its the sending unit. I will try the techron first and see how it works over a few tanks of gas. Thanks for all the tips, lots of good info out there, thanks!
Back to top Go down

Rowlingstone Introduction and gas gauge problem
Page 1 of 1