Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just got rear-ended the other day

Go down 
+3
Easyrider
sc00ter
VictorLouis
7 posters
AuthorMessage
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2020-04-26

Just got rear-ended the other day Empty
PostSubject: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 3:23 pm

I am UN-injured, and there's NO damage. WHEW ! Read on....

In my thread asking if you like my Swing (w/reflective additions), it segued into discussion of Hi_Viz apparel. Well, DANG'ed if my phone picked today to refuse to import photos. Suffice to say, the event happened on my bumble-bee black and yellow TMax. SO, picture the arse-end upswept in yellow with red brake lamp. My entire back is sporting a Held Hi-Viz vest with a couple of reflective stripes. The entire back of my full-face is coated in Hi-Viz yellow (Plasti-Dip aerosol). Bright, sunny day, around 3pm, with traffic flowing Northbound. I stuck out like you can imagine.

I was second or 3rd back from the stoplight on a 35pmh surface street. I was watching my rearview, and a white BMW coupe was approaching. I can't recall if I tapped my brake lamp, or not. But the driver was looking forward. THEN...I saw him clearly turn his gaze down and right, as he appeared to root around the center console. INSTEAD OF a quick point and squirt around the car in front of me....I THOUGHT a good horn-toot would work. The Wolo on the bike sounds like a sedan horn, so plenty loud. He looked up JUST in time to kiss the butt of my bike.

Thankfully, it barely jostled me, but I had to admit he'd made contact. I threw down the kick, and immediately check my bike for damage. White paint transfer at the 6 o-clock mouth of the muffler. Wiped RIGHT OFF with my gloved thumb. I saw only a black skid mark of his bumper where the corner must have kissed my bike's black plastic mudguard/license holder.
I turned my gaze toward him, and instantly realized I could 'take' him if it went south, LOL. Suffice to say, I rooted him out with some strong invective, and motioned from head-to-waist with my hand like a wardrobe model, "You COULDN'T SEE me?"

I then mounted my steed, fired it up, and just made the light change to green. He remained motionless in my rearview with honking behind him. I'd like to hope he took a moment to REFLECT, and that perhaps I helped to shake him up a bit. But, it's a great lesson for us that despite our best efforts, we have to remain vigilant. I SHOULD HAVE MOVED instead of praying on the stupid horn!
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 6:58 pm

Glad all was okay! I'm seriously considering running camera's on my scooter like I do the car. No denying who was at fault. Anyways, I got bumped at a red light not to long ago. Guy was playing on his phone and drifted forward. I got off, checked the scoot (all good) and told him I carry full coverage for stuff like this. I'll just pay the deductible and let the insurance company destroy his credit next time. He said he was sorry and offered to fix any damage, but I told him all was good, but next time-insurance will get involved.

He was in a crappy old Pontiac, but I see him almost every night going home, so he must work like the rest of us for a living. Scooter was worth more than the car! He avoids me at red lights now. Again, glad you cover you mirrors and hit the loud horn!
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 7:03 pm

And before I forget. I had a Ford Ranger with a huge, long heavy duty tow hitch. On one side on the bumper it said: Pay attention or... On the other side: You'll loose a radiator! It was a Edge model with the factory lift. Just the right height to punch a hole in a radiator. No one ever rear ended me!
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 7:15 pm

That slogan is ALMOST as good as:

Back - OFF, or I'll TEST your AirBags
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 12, 2020 10:18 pm

That's good! A young lady at work has a early 80's Chevy truck and the sticker in the rear window reads: We don't need no stinkin' airbags. We die like real men!
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 13, 2020 12:22 am

I do film all my rides on my Swing with a Gopro 7 Black here in Idaho. I have it mounted between the air scoop just above the light and the bottom of the windshield. I use quick disconnect mounts. The camera has great stabilization that it actually looks as though I am using a gimbel. After my ride I erase all the files on the SD card. I secure my camera with a tether wire just in case.
I will be using the camera on my 2013 Swing when I return to Oahu later this month.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 14, 2020 6:21 pm

Simply a change to a fresh cord attachment from my cell to the confuser....

Just got rear-ended the other day Lardas10
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2020 12:39 am

sc00ter wrote:
And before I forget. I had a Ford Ranger with a huge, long heavy duty tow hitch. On one side on the bumper it said: Pay attention or... On the other side: You'll loose a radiator! It was a Edge model with the factory lift. Just the right height to punch a hole in a radiator. No one ever rear ended me!

I was driving my '94 F250 in a parking lot when I got rear ended by a woman who was chatting on her phone. I went back to talk to her and she asked me if my truck was damaged. I told here the truck was okay but her radiator had been holed by my trailer hitch and dumped it's coolant on the ground. She didn't want to trade driver's license info and if I didn't care she'd just go on home with her two kids. I agreed and watched her go off in s cloud of steam. I did wonder if she got the car home.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 16, 2020 9:31 pm

Paul, your tale reminds me of a note of caution for those members that don't already know it. I sold insurance for a couple of years, and this was a hard-lesson learned...

Even if the accident is NOT YOUR FAULT, it can bump your insurance rates.
Comprehensive claims add-up, Also. Hit an animal? Damage at, or near your deductible? Take care of it O-O-P. 'Free' windshield replacement offered in some states (if state insurance regs mandate such)? Much cheaper for you to find a quality replacement for a couple of hundred and don't say SQUAT to your carrier. You get the idea.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 1:23 pm

I've Been riding for 56 years, always wear high vis and stopping at lights, line up on the right or left side of the car in front of me. I've had to only use this escape route 2 times in my life and glad I did.

Your really smart to keep looking in your rear view.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 17, 2020 2:53 pm

You're not riding fast enough!....

but seriously, being rear ended is not something I've heard much about within my small biking fraternity.

I've started checking my mirrors more often though Shocked
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 6:56 pm

Any time you reduce speed it's best to clear your rear view for anyone not slowing. Not everyone is looking out the windshield these days.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 29, 2020 7:56 pm

Almost got a turkey today or it almost got me. Hen. Car pulling out from gas station didn't see me till last second close one. Last week Semi pushed me into left shoulder had about six feet of road there good thing there wasn't the usual dead deer or tires . Stay safe.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Just got rear-ended the other day   Just got rear-ended the other day I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Just got rear-ended the other day
Page 1 of 1