Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Modifying Honda Silver Wing 600
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Today at 9:04 am

» Sinko De Mayo
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:10 am

» May 2024 forum picture
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 4:42 am

» checking the oil
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:13 pm

» Strongly considering a one way ride from Texas to Progreso,Mexico and could use some advice
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 10:08 pm

» LF extended back rest
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby Rzor93 Mon Apr 29, 2024 4:14 pm

» FOR SALE - 2009 Silver Wing
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:47 am

» Where can I find top-quality electronic tracks?
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:43 am

» Forgive My Rookie Questions
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:28 am

» Silver Wing for sale - UK
New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeby StuartBrown Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:15 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New to Me Swing

Go down 
+6
Rzor93
Meldrew
Loosemarbles
Erdoc48
steve_h80
Tbear
10 posters
AuthorMessage
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2023-10-18

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 1:19 pm

2005 D with 17,766 miles.
Help me add to the maintenance list
Oil and filter
Tires (Michelin City Grip?)
Gear oil for rear
I am just going to assume the belt is old so for performance mods while we are in the housing would be the white Malossi clutch spring,
Which weight sliders? Malossi also?
Belt? Stay with Malossi?

For now we will look at radiator and brake fluids only but know it needs it.

Spammer for adjustment of shock preload? Best place to buy?
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 2:07 pm

Not gear oil, just regular engine oil is all the is required afbthe back. That will save a bit of money and avoid the whole yellow metals thing.
Yes replace the belt, it might (or might not) have been replaced at 16k miles. Any decent belt will do, I think Honda use Gates, but avoid cheap rubbish.
While you're in there have a look at the clutch blocks. They should be fine at that mileage but disassembly and a good clean of the pivots etc so the blocks swing smoothly will make for smoother take off.
I tried Dr Pulley 25gm sliders, but have gone back to 28gm rollers. Although the acceleration was fun 25gm was too light and kept triggering the cvt light on the dash.
Brake fluid, bleed the new through, don't drain the old first or you'll have fun getting air out of the ABS system.
Coolant, might as well.
Rear shock spanner ebay. At 19 years old it will be worth dropping the forks and replacing the fork oil, that will make a big difference to how it rides.
All the above is easy to do.
You'll need the service manual, I'm sure the Web will turn up a copy for free 🙂
Enjoy.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2022-05-31

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 5:52 pm

Fork oil on these is VERY easy (just did mine a few weeks back)- also consider new springs up front as the OEM springs (for me at least) made the ride OK but a little more ‘crashy’ (is that a word?). Anyway many here use HyperPro springs if you use them and leave out the OEM spacer. Mine rides much better now. As for fork oil, I believe it calls for 10 weight (I think it’s Honda SS8)- I used Amsoil Shock Therapy 5 weight and I’m very pleased with the results. You don’t need to take off the front cover (painted fairing) to do this, and a torque wrench is a must.
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2024 6:45 pm

I bought this bike so I could ride my wife pillion when she doesn’t want to ride her Helix. So yes, suspension front and rear and a Seth Lam seat if it goes like I hope.
In the cleaning/ basic maintenance stage now and then we do some real world testing. Before I spend big bucks, make sure it will pull my big butt and my lovely wife around comfortably.Maybe warmer here this weekend.
I can already see that the rear seat on the Swing looks like a better starting point than the rear of the CTX700. I didn’t remember the difference as so dramatic. Buick backseat versus Mustang. Cars.
I know one thing I forgot: the booster plug!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 998
Registration date : 2016-05-15

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 10:29 am

Scootie spends much of the time hauling me and the wife up and down the hills on bumpy, twisty roads.
I found the rear bottomed out a lot so switched to Hagon shocks, I also changed the front to Hyperpro springs and oil. Both are a big improvement for me and the type of riding I do, but for solo riding on smooth highway or city use that setup may will be too hard.
Many people change the screen and seat, but I've never had an issue with the standard setup.
Don't assume spending money will improve on what Honda did as there are no inherent faults.
I suspect the booster plug is just snake oil, but what do I know?
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1566
Registration date : 2016-10-01

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 3:46 pm

I too bought my SW in order to introduce my Partner to motorcycling. She actually loves it. I had all the usual thoughts of 'suspension ride' between solo and pillion, and the SW in general.

Immediately, I found the rear OEM shocks bottoming out. The front end was more tolerable with pillion but harsh when solo. I fitted YSS Eco shocks to the rear and made life much smoother. I have kept the front end as stock and tolerated the harshness when solo until recently, when I finally submitted to City Grip 2s; and that alone has transformed the ride.

Rollers and Sliders are a topic for debate. For what it's worth, I tried 26g Rollers which gave a better accelleration and increase 70mph revs from 5200 to 5500. I then tried 26 Dr Pulley sliders. They had the same effect on the MPH/RPM ratio but I did start getting the V light coming on, particularly on Motorways. After much thought I reverted to OEM Rollers. No problems since then.

There is much more to read about Rollers and Sliders here on the forum and elsewhere. Mr Honda put a lot of thought into the SW. It's not perfect but it just kinda works.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4178
Registration date : 2010-11-16

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 5:59 pm

I've never bought into this changing shocks and springs business. When Mrs M rode pillion with me on 400 and 650 Burgmans, and my Silver Wing, all I did was change the rear shocks to passenger settings and up the tyre pressures as recommended in the Rider Handbooks.

All very simple and straightforward and I can't ever remember a single issue, and we rode in the Harz, Ardennes, Lake District Passes, and the Dales and Moors of North Yorkshire.

Back in solo mode on the Forza, I've no idea what the rear shocks are set to on my Forza as they're not numbered like they were on the Burgmans and Silver Wing.  All I know is they felt fine when I rode it home new from the Honda dealers five and a half years ago, and I haven't touched them since.
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 6:28 pm

Yah I hear you Meldew. No need to change if they work. We will find out soon. We suit out around 450 pounds together so I am skeptical. And that's why I appreciate advise from others like Loose Marbles about what they've tried and what works.
And Like JohnnyC on here. If he says the booster plug and a clutch spring are the best engine performance mods, that's what I want.
I appreciate the opinions of those who have experience. That is why I like good forums like this one.
I gotta go find a spanner for the rear shocks.
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2024 7:18 pm

NO NEED FOR A SPANNER! for the rear shocks. I read it on here doing a search for spanner size.
Mine are set at 3 on both sides so we can start there.
A simple "clean green" Michigan title transfer turned into two trips to the DMV and still waiting, not really upset because I bought a new battery and the sleekest black machine since Magic Johnson jumped to life and ran fine for a half mile slow ride in the rain.
I was relieved to know it runs! I bought it with a dead battery and it wouldn't charge enough to start it, I let it trickle charge over night.
Back to top Go down
Rzor93
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Rzor93

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2024-04-05

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2024 3:24 am

Tbear wrote:
NO NEED FOR A SPANNER! for the rear shocks. I read it on here doing a search for spanner size.
Mine are set at 3 on both sides so we can start there.
A simple "clean green" Michigan title transfer turned into two trips to the DMV and still waiting, not really upset because I bought a new battery and the sleekest black machine since Magic Johnson jumped to life and ran fine for a half mile slow ride in the rain.
I was relieved to know it runs! I bought it with a dead battery and it wouldn't charge enough to start it, I let it trickle charge over night.

Swings are tanks, a YouTuber I watch who does cannonballs on scooter, had one start right up on 3 year old gas.
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: White Malossi contra clutch spring- Whoa Monster   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2024 9:17 pm

This thing is huge! Like 4”x4”

I’m surprised because I don’t try to work on bikes anymore. I can, but I am slow and unsure.

So, I am gathering up what I need for Magic Mac to make as new.
City Grip tires, makossi belt and clutch spring w stock rollers, oil and filter, check of all other fluids, etc

Mostly a big checkout and cleaning so we can spot future issues.
Back to top Go down
Rzor93
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Rzor93

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2024-04-05

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2024 3:21 am

Tbear wrote:
This thing is huge! Like 4”x4”

I’m surprised because I don’t try to work on bikes anymore. I can, but I am slow and unsure.

So, I am gathering up what I need for Magic Mac to make as new.
City Grip tires, makossi belt and clutch spring w stock rollers, oil and filter, check of all other fluids, etc

Mostly a big checkout and cleaning so we can spot future issues.
I was lucky enough to have gotten a service manual with mine. I think the silverwing is probably one of the more easier scooters to work on. YouTube has some good tutorials and I believe this forum has some good pictorials as well.
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 11, 2024 9:18 am

After a lifetime of chasing the zen of motorcycling I made a liberating decision. I am done trying to work on my bikes.
What would take me three days and multiple do-overs my mechanic does in two hours. He is a natural. I am a struggler and I admit it. I've studied service manuals and Youtube is great but it's always a fight for me and I often lose. You can kick me out of the club anytime.
What tips I learn from all ya'll masters of the universe on here I pass on to him. I appreciate it.
Edited to add: I'm not totally useless, but only when I must. I charged the old battery for an overnight and then I removed it and reinstalled a new battery. I sized up to the TZY14 (not sure that's the correct numbers, it is the one for the ST1300) as recommended on this fine forum.

Last edited by Tbear on Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : totally useless or nae)
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2562
Registration date : 2012-05-17

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2024 7:10 am

Not everyone is a mechanic or so inclined. When I bought my SWing my decision was that Honda would do all maintenance and repairs... Well since I lived 50 miles from a dealer that went out the window and I have performed ALL oil changes and maintenance myself. With the exception of tire installs. The pictorials on this forum have helped greatly, that said I am inclined and do have quite a few tools.

This is YOUR decision and if you have a good mechanic, then use him. At my age I would IF I found one, sigh.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2024 11:51 am

with 100,000 miles of Silverwing experience with 2 new ones---leave drive line parts stock, replacing drive belt every 15,000 miles with OEM, any clutch parts with Honda parts if necessary---performance fine with stock parts---remembering this is a scooter, performance fine in stock condition----almost the best of maxi scooters!

Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2024 12:11 pm

Sir, I hear you...but even Honda can be improved upon a little. My last bike that I could ride right -handed was a 2014 Valkyrie and I am working my way back up with a left-hand throttle, started with a Reflex, tried a dual-sport, I am liking the looks of the Silverwing. I have a right hand, it just hurts too much to ride with it.

I last rode one ten years ago. I remember turbulence that I am hoping to remedy with a clip on shield.
We are only doing Silverwing Forum tested modifications. Clutch spring while my mechanic is in there anyway. Probably a booster plug later. Front forks seem pretty mushy. We shall see how the 20 year old rear shocks like the weight.

I will never be able to rack up as many miles as you have. Never mind my ole buddy Sal's quote, much respect to you.

I forgot to ask, if the Silverwing is not the best of the maxiscooters, what is? Smile

Last edited by Tbear on Fri Apr 12, 2024 12:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 12, 2024 12:29 pm

I had just driven across Canada to Grand Island to pick up a pair of nice one owner CTX700's (all my wife had to say is "maybe I want to ride a motorcycle after I learn my Helix"). I paid about what I would expect to pay for one really nice late model, one owner Silverwing.
Then I saw a 23 minute-old Facebook ad for a $1,000 Silverwing with a "clean green"title only an hour from my house. The widow "awarded" the bike to me because I was respectful. She already had a dozen responses. I told her I would pay the $1,000 sight unseen. Well, the title is not green and the bike is not as clean as I hoped, nor was it ABS or a color other than black. But it seems to run ok with 17,000 miles and the new battery, although I have not driven it far or fast. Yet.
I am not bragging about deals at all, my point is I can afford to fix it up a little, especially if it looks like one I will ride a lot.
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2024 10:06 pm

Wife is riding the Helix like she was born for it. Three days in a row, over an hour today!
I first gave up the idea of a Silverwing so I could get her a Helix to learn on.
Now she is starting to rock the Helix and I got a Silverwing gift too.
She pulled away from me today, I on my Reflex. Could not catch her. Smile
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2024 9:04 pm

Got the Swing back yesterday with new tires, oil, contra spring. Seems much quicker to 60mph than I remember from 10 years ago. Really like it.

Bad news: the front fairing tab is broken on top left, and I believe what it is screwed into, not sure what that part is called. Would that be the inner frame? $465 and $203 each from Honda. The windshield flaps because the top left screw is missing.
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 25, 2024 10:56 am

Alrighty! A little duct tape on the windshield and I added a clip-on visor. Much better!

AND this baby really scoots. I am amazed how quickly we accelerate with this Malossi clutch spring as the only modification. I was practicing braking just so I could take off again!

I was concerned about the vibration at higher speeds (80) but my mechanic told me the shop he used to change the tires didn't balance the "scooter tires". We both agreed that we will not use them anymore and I will have to remove them and balance before I want to go too far.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 301
Registration date : 2022-12-23

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 4:40 pm

Hi Tbear.

Do your own balancing, the tools are cheap enough, and plenty of tutorial vids on YTube.
Just search motorcycle wheel balancer on Ebay or whatever, then you can get as anal as you like lol
So easy these days with alloy wheels, unlike spoked wheels you had to true first then fit a tyre.

here's an image of one.
New to Me Swing C1109514

Hope this helps.
Be safe be seen! Hi-vis and LED's are your friends.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 341
Registration date : 2022-05-31

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 4:55 pm

I had a tire installed on the rear wheel recently and I was told the same thing, that they aren’t able to balance it- I have a MC wheel balancer but due to the size of the rear hub opening, my metal cones don’t fit and also meet in the middle of the wheel (cones are not large enough and basically go through the center hub, so the wheel is really never true for balancing). I just bought one of these today, made specifically for the SWing:

http://www.marcparnes.com/Honda_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm

Here’s what it looks like:

New to Me Swing Img_3513

Not cheap at $105, but it is custom made for the SWing and is for both the front and rear wheels. You just need a pair of jack stands (or as one person on the site used, plastic milk jugs).
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3298
Registration date : 2009-08-18

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 5:41 pm

Best in n America, where shops cannot or do not balance scooter tires------"Ride On" works well may help seal small leaks----Not cheap but works. I have used it for at least 200,000 miles!
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1382
Registration date : 2016-01-02

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2024 10:47 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
I had a tire installed on the rear wheel recently and I was told the same thing, that they aren’t able to balance it- I have a MC wheel balancer but due to the size of the rear hub opening, my metal cones don’t fit and also meet in the middle of the wheel (cones are not large enough and basically go through the center hub, so the wheel is really never true for balancing). I just bought one of these today, made specifically for the SWing:

http://www.marcparnes.com/Honda_Motorcycle_Wheel_Balancer.htm

Here’s what it looks like:

New to Me Swing Img_3513

Not cheap at $105, but it is custom made for the SWing and is for both the front and rear wheels. You just need a pair of jack stands (or as one person on the site used, plastic milk jugs).

Good purchase this is the best wheel balancer out there, I've been using one for years on several bikes with the proper adapters. Balances a wheel to precision but takes a bit of patience just get it close and you will be fine. Center the cones equal on the shaft and lock screw opposite each other. Newer tape on weights are not lead and are hard to cut-trim.

Buy some Scotch tape to temporally attach the weighs until you are happy with the balance then clean wheel and attach them.
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2024 5:39 pm

I just ordered Marc Parnes SLW wheel balancer. And I am looking up Ride On too, sounds useful for someone as mechanically challenged as I.
I need to start a thread about "Be safe be seen! Hi-vis and LED's are your friends with a new topbox suggestions"

I really didn't know about the "scooter thing" for wheel balancing. I just thought it was the local shop (who don't balance any wheels). Thank you all.

Edited to add: https://www.ride-on.com/us/support/tire-types/motorcycle-formula

This stuff sounds so great I  want to drink some for myself! Aramid fibers even! This stuff will definitely be useful for us scootery types. Will be ordering a couple to try out or keep in case of a flat.

Oops. Tried to order Ride On for USA, no web site. European only it seems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New to Me Swing Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to Me Swing   New to Me Swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

New to Me Swing
Page 1 of 1