Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Easy gps connection to brake switch
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Today at 1:14 pm

» First impressions of the silver wing
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Yesterday at 11:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 4:24 am

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:22 pm

» From Dayton, Ohio
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:05 pm

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:59 pm

» Drive faces
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:57 pm

» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Sat Sep 07, 2024 2:45 pm

» V Belt Light
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:39 pm

» Introducing ME
Drive faces I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:21 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Drive faces

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 26
Registration date : 2022-04-19

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2024 3:52 pm

Doing some maintenance in preparation for a trip to Georgia mountains. Pulled the drive face off found grooves about .020 of an inch deep on the top and bottom.
Should I clean them up or just leave them alone? A new belt is going on.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2024 6:59 pm

Hi David.

Any chance of a couple of photo's please.
With 20k under it's belt it will show wear marks, although there's no tolerance limits in the manual covering it. Mine has 20k+ miles on it, and showing wear marks but runs just fine despite my tinkering and tweaking, hence the request for photo's.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1022
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2024 1:19 am

That's only about 0.5mm, I wouldn't worry about. CVT's are pretty much self adjusting.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 554
Registration date : 2020-12-26

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2024 9:58 am

The pulley faces should always be sanded down slightly to smooth down any ridges or wear pattern left by old belt, it's kind of like smoothing out "The Bumps in the Road" for the new belt, also helps new belt "Break-In" quicker and establish its own wear pattern. I use a flat sanding block with new 150 grit sandpaper, just sand in a random/even pattern, at a minimum rough up with some red Scotch Brite pad.
Obviously clean all belt contact areas.

BTW, less than 1 hour away if you need a hand, LMK.
Back to top Go down
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 03, 2024 12:37 pm

Here are some picsDrive faces Drive_10
Drive faces Drive_11
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2024 12:08 pm

Hi David.

OOOH.....
Thanks for the pictures, is it 2 pictures of the same drive face, or 1 of each drive face?
Either way it looks to me as if someone's been rather aggressive with the throttle using a well stretched belt for some time. The grooving being caused by the reinforcement added to the middle of the drive belt, hence the 2 distinct marks and the darker area (belt burn/slipping) under the outer circle.
A quick google found an OEM in Japan (only the driven side) hence the  ? about the photos, are both faces as bad? Your not going to clean those marks out in a hurry.
Just my personal opinion and not an invite for a bun fight!
Maybe go for second hand units.
There were 2 swings being dismantled state side the other week (listed on here).

Hope this helps.
Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2024 10:36 pm

FYI, in the USA at online retailers like Ron Ayers,  etc., The 2 front pulley faces are approx. $100 usd, rear 2 are approx. $200, NEW !, I know this because I've purchased/have them in my squirrel stash.
Back to top Go down
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2024 2:29 pm

Separate drive faces. I thought they were a little too deep. I have the ability to machine them smooth again. It appears that there is enough meat to do it. Any thoughts? If the same angle is maintained it should all find it's way... I think The belt that is on it is still within service limits and passes visual inspection. So I assume this was done prior to to the install of this belt. I've put about 2000 mi. on it since I bought it and I'm all about steady and smooth!
Back to top Go down
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2024 2:33 pm

I haven't even looked at the rear I'm Afraid very afraid... Wink Wink
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2024 3:05 pm

Firstly, thanks for the insight zrx212, wish it was that easy in the UK.

Hi David, the back pair should be ok, it's only the front that will suffer from Blunt Force Impact due to the nature of how the front Variator works.
Seems you have alternatives, either machine it out a little, buy second hand, or buy new (Ref zrx212).
Let us know how you get on.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2024 5:18 pm

If you have a way to bring scooter to my home in the "Silver Springs Shores" area (Southeast Ocala, about 1hr. away). I'll be more than happy to get your cvt  squared away. Really need to look at all pulley faces, etc., but unless the damage is very critical, most are reusable with some sanding, etc. Just cover any consumables, cleaners, sandpaper, etc.

BTW, I have plenty parts JIC ...

Drive faces Sw15013
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2024 5:21 pm

BTW, any machining work on pulleys probably cost more than parts, local machine shops are a rarity nowadays.
Back to top Go down
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2024 10:22 am

Thank you for the great input. It's always good to bounce things off of those with greater experience. zrx212 I'll PM you.
Back to top Go down
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2024 12:12 pm

Here is the finished product after machining and sanding. Worked out well. Only took about .018 off of each face. I'll let you know how it works out Figured I saved about $250 -#300.

OK I don't see the pics..
Attachments
Drive faces AttachmentDrave Face a.jpg
You don't have permission to download attachments.
(191 Kb) Downloaded 5 times
Back to top Go down
DavidinDunnellon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2024 12:14 pm

Drive faces Drive_13
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1600
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2024 2:38 pm

I'd be interested to see how it works out. Mine are showing signs of similar wear. Keep us posted.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Drive faces Empty
PostSubject: Re: Drive faces   Drive faces I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 07, 2024 9:57 pm

" Here is the finished product after machining and sanding. Worked out well. Only took about .018 off of each face. I'll let you know how it works out Figured I saved about $250 -#300. "

Theoretically cutting the faces will allow belt to sit lower in the front pulley, possibly giving you overall lower gearing, better acceleration ?, lower top speed ?, the best way to check how the cut/sand affects operation is to drive it, you can also make a "Sharpie" stripe on pulley face to see the actual belt travel range. BTW, both front pulleys retail for $64.08 + $37.32 = $101.40 + tax + shipping at Ron Ayers today (USA).

Few important details when reassembling the cvt.

1. Make sure you hold the inner variator pulley assy. fully collapsed as you slide into engine shaft, don't let rollers move out of place.
2. Never allow the belt to bind in the front pulleys while tightening/torquing bolt, otherwise you may get a false tight !! if you bind on belt, collapse belt into rear pulley as needed to loosen, should be able to spin rear pulley and belt move freely on front pulley, this video may help.
3. The variator bolt + washer should be lightly oiled if you are "properly torquing"  Rolling Eyes  
4. A very, very light coat of high temp grease is all you need on variator bushing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYd9AmiHMRc
Back to top Go down

Drive faces
Page 1 of 1