Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Easy gps connection to brake switch
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Today at 6:14 pm

» First impressions of the silver wing
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Yesterday at 4:04 pm

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 9:24 am

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Sep 14, 2024 10:22 pm

» From Dayton, Ohio
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Sep 13, 2024 6:05 pm

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Thu Sep 12, 2024 8:59 pm

» Drive faces
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Sep 08, 2024 2:57 am

» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Sat Sep 07, 2024 7:45 pm

» V Belt Light
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sat Sep 07, 2024 5:39 pm

» Introducing ME
Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Sep 07, 2024 12:21 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Slow gas leak

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
dmataames
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2020-08-23

Slow gas leak Empty
PostSubject: Slow gas leak   Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 04, 2024 9:18 pm

I just bought a 2003 Silverwing. I rode it home on lots of Interstates at higher speeds and only got 44 mpg. I noticed a strong gas smell in my garage after a day with a small puddle of leaked gas. I’m not sure where to start to try and locate the leak or if this is a problem that is somewhat common. Any help or input would be appreciated. The bike does run great by the way, but is leaking gas from somewhere.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Slow gas leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slow gas leak   Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2024 12:34 am

Check the gas lines as they are now pretty old (for leaks)- there was a recall I believe on the 02-03 bikes due to faulty welds in the tank that could result in a gas leak- you’re likely looking at some disassembly but it is a good way to learn the bike. It likely won’t be possible for you to tell if your bike was repaired under the recall (I have an 03 as well and have no idea)- I was told by the prior owner he had the tank serviced and it was leaking but I’m not sure if Honda did the work- he told me it cost him > $600 to have the repair done- it may have been from fuel separation and water in the tank that rusted the tank (because it was a low mileage bike that sat unbidden for a long time). If it is the tank, it can be repaired and if a fuel line, well, that’s a much cheaper fix. I would also obtain a service manual (paper copy or online version) to help with learning the bike. Hopefully it’s a cheaper fix.

One more thing…I wouldn’t run it that way until you determine the leak source, you don’t want to risk a fire (sorry for obvious advice).
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1022
Registration date : 2016-05-15

Slow gas leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slow gas leak   Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2024 8:41 am

44mpg US equates to 53mpg UK. If I was getting that on a long run at 70-80mph I would be more than happy.
The fuel leak is a worry though, but before pulling everything apart check you haven't over filled the tank and the dribble is just a from the drain.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4208
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Slow gas leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slow gas leak   Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 05, 2024 10:43 am

Well the Silver Wing is over 20 years old and bits corrode and perish over time. The previous owner or seller must have known there was a fuel leak and kept quiet about it afraid of losing the sale.
Back to top Go down
mavericksssrig
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2013-02-18

Slow gas leak Empty
PostSubject: Re: Slow gas leak   Slow gas leak I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2024 4:08 pm

My 2002 had a leak when I bought it about 12 years ago, coming from bottom of gas tank. Instead of the arduous removal and repair process, I used fuel tank patch epoxy putty, and it's still holding. Key is to clean and prep a 3" diameter area around the hole, so that the rust would have to eat a LOT more area for the leak to reoccur. This can be done with access to the bottom of the tank.

Back to top Go down

Slow gas leak
Page 1 of 1