Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

High Beam Usage

Go down 
+9
P Butter
Waspie
CathyN
The Scootist
DickO
DennisB
JeffR
honda_silver
skiwoods
13 posters

When do you use your Hi-Beam Headlight
Only at night when there is no traffic
High Beam Usage I_vote_lcap45%High Beam Usage I_vote_rcap
 45% [ 33 ]
Only at night regardless of traffic
High Beam Usage I_vote_lcap0%High Beam Usage I_vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Day and night regardless of traffic
High Beam Usage I_vote_lcap11%High Beam Usage I_vote_rcap
 11% [ 8 ]
Daytime: High-Beams - Nightime: High-Beams only without oncoming or behind vehicles
High Beam Usage I_vote_lcap34%High Beam Usage I_vote_rcap
 34% [ 25 ]
High-beam for visibility - Nightime: High-Beams only without oncoming or behind vehicles
High Beam Usage I_vote_lcap10%High Beam Usage I_vote_rcap
 10% [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 73

AuthorMessage
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2008-12-29

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:09 am

I am also curious to hear what headlight modifications you might have made to improve safety.
Back to top Go down
http://www.windycitylaser.com/flying.htm
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 11:49 am

The poll is missing some options .... during the day I run high-beam for visibility and during the night I run high-beam when no other traffic.

I installed HID headlights ...
http://silverwing.org/cgi-bin/topic_show.pl?pid=20617;hl=ddmtuning
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:19 pm

I'm like Bill. I use highbeams all the time except at night with traffic. I may get new bulbs one day for better results. I remember when I had my Majesty and was impressed with the headlights. I think they had the best lights of any bike I have ever owned.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi All,
During the day and at night I run my low beams. When I need more light in front of me I hit the brights. When I need more light then that on some of these back roads here in Oklahoma, I'll hit the switch for my high mounted, daylight (killer) spot lights which really do a great job of lighting the road up in front of my scooter. It's good....and I do try to be curtus to others at night and just maybe they will be curtus to me in return.

DennisB
Back to top Go down

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 6:41 pm

Honda-Silver I agree. Smile I run with mine on high during the day. When I started riding with the group in Richmond, IN is when I started doing that. They used to go over safely rules before a ride and always mentioned to put your headlight on high beam during the day. On my Helix I also had a stobe put on. I don't ride at night much but use my high's unless there is an on-coming car and then I always dim them even though it is hard to see.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1018

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 20, 2009 9:06 pm

I agree with the high beam on all the daytime and at nite with no traffic, when, naturally, I go to dim.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: always except in traffic   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 4:06 pm

It sounds like I am like some of you guys. I usually have my high beams on. The exception is at night if I encounter oncoming traffic or pull up behind someone.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Is there a way to update the options on the poll ... so I can vote properly??

I would suggest adding something to the effect of ...

"Daytime: High-Beams - Nightime: High-Beams only without oncoming or behind vehicles"
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 23, 2009 6:33 pm

Bill,

The author would have to change the poll question. I agree that a few more choices are needed for a more accurate poll.

Skiwoods,

Is it possible to add a couple more choices? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 11:30 am

I give up. I have tried editing the poll and cannot figure it out. Jeff, any direction?
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 11:55 am

Gene,

You should be able to edit your poll question by doing this:

1) Log in
2) Go to your first post, when you added the poll, and hit the "edit" button.
3) When the next menu comes up that allows you to edit, you just need to scroll down to , "Add a Poll". Your poll questions will come up.
4) You will see the "Add Option" after your initial choices. Just add the new qestions/choices there.
5) Hit send.

You may want to go to the bottom of the page where you add options and hit the "Allow vote cancellations". If you don't do this we won't be able to change our votes, for those that want to change their vote.

If this doesn't work I can go in and add the additional choices if you would like. Thanks for putting this poll question out there.
Back to top Go down
skiwoods
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
skiwoods

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 3:51 pm

When I have gone to edit mode on my first post, there is no choice for "add a poll" to edit.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 24, 2009 4:15 pm

Gene,

I went in and added a 4th choice. I will look in the system to see if I didn't give members permission to change their own poll question. It might be defaulted that way until I change it. Thanks.

All,

Whoever voted can now go in and cancel your vote if you would like to change your vote. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
CathyN
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 771
Registration date : 2010-11-15

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 12:44 pm

I use my high beam during the day and at night when there is no traffic.

I also added driving lights. I use those at night and during the day if it is raining or is very dark and overcast.

I also have a Kisan modulator on my high beam for during the day.

I want to be seen and I want to see what is in front of me on a dark road.

Cathy
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 5:04 pm

honda_silver wrote:
The poll is missing some options .... during the day I run high-beam for visibility and during the night I run high-beam when no other traffic.

Same as Bill, (he saved me typing.) Wink
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeSat Jan 28, 2012 11:40 pm

Waspie wrote:
Same as Bill, (he saved me typing.) Wink

Option added ... you can cancel your vote and resubmit if you would like.
Back to top Go down
P Butter
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
P Butter

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2014-10-30

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 1:19 pm

High beams always during the day
Back to top Go down
Colin B
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Colin B

Number of posts : 586
Registration date : 2013-03-20

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 1:42 pm

Blinding all on coming drivers!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 2:17 pm

Yes, and preventing one from seeing what's behind the oncoming Bobby Dazzler.
Back to top Go down

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 2:24 pm

In the UK, the police motorcycle training manual (and the Institute of Advanced Motoring handbook, so I'm told) warn that one of the main risks of riding with high beams in day time is that it can mess with other road users' perception of how far away you are.
Counter intuitively, it is possible for them to perceive you as further away, rather than as close as you actually are.

Here you could also be prosecuted driving without due care & attention or failing to show due consideration to other road users, both can incur penalty points on your license.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 6:30 pm

Here in Florida they teach you in the safety course that you must take to get your motorcycle endorsement on your drivers licence that you should use your high beams when riding during daylight hours. I've seen this topic on a lot of forums and it always seems like it's common to use your high beams when riding during daylight hours here in the USA and it's considered rude and/or illegal over the pond. I have never been blinded by oncoming high beams or had a problem seeing what's behind an oncoming scooter or motorcycles using high beams during daylight hours. High Beam Usage Dontknow
Back to top Go down

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 04, 2014 6:56 pm

I don't know the answer Roger, but I wonder if it has something to do with the daytime light levels in Florida, on the two occasions I have visited there it did seem like a very bright place.
Is it the same rule all over or does it vary from state to state ?
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 12:54 am

The Bern wrote:
I don't know the answer Roger, but I wonder if it has something to do with the daytime light levels in Florida, on the two occasions I have visited there it did seem like a very bright place.
Is it the same rule all over or does it vary from state to state ?
It agree it's very bright here in Florida. In fact when we are on group rides here the leader of the group will ask people riding with their lights dimmed to turn their brights on so he can see them better to keep count of the riders.
I'm not sure if other states advise using high beams in the daytime but just looking through the posts above it seems a lot of others in the USA do it.
I never notice oncoming traffic blinking their high beams at me in the daytime. If they did and I thought I was bothering them I would definitely dim my lights for them. There's so much road rage here in the USA I wouldn't want to aggravate some nut.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 1:42 am

Both the Washington and Oregon state DMV driver's manuals recommend motorcycles (and scooters) operate with high beam headlamps during the day. I've installed a Kisan headlight modulator on my last four bikes because I believe they are a very good safety tool at least in the US and Canada where they are legal.
The most common fatal motorcycle accident in the US is an oncoming vehicle turning left across the road in front of a motorcycle/scooter. The most common explanation by the cage driver is, "I didn't see him". I know there have been several times when my modulator caused a car to stop suddenly when they were about to enter the roadway in front of me. Well worth the cost and the side benefit of longer life for your headlamp bulb is nice too. Modulators are normally installed in the high beam lamp and have photo sensors that shut off the modulator when ambient light is low as at dusk.

http://kisantech.com/mag/index.php/pathblazer.html?id=1481&p=1&category=http%3A%2F%2Fkisantech.com%2Fmag%2Findex.php%2Fpathblazer.html&make=12&model=83&submodel=363&year=33
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3795
Registration date : 2009-06-29

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 5:02 am

I have a feeling it also has something to do with what roads are like and the terrain.
Here there are very few flat bits of road and so one is constantly dazzled by oncoming vehicles coming over the brow of a hill with even dipped headlights, especially the damned HID ones. Also, very many roads in the UK are in narrow cuttings (sweeping statement but certainly true in Wiltshire) so there is only one position on the road one can adopt - one is unable to move to a different line.
I didn't experience the 'dazzle' problem in West Flanders which is why I think flatness reduces the problem.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 05, 2014 2:50 pm

Mike I think you've probably found the main reason for the different
opinions between over there and here. Wink
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

High Beam Usage Empty
PostSubject: Re: High Beam Usage   High Beam Usage I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

High Beam Usage
Page 1 of 1