Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos

Go down 
+4
honda_silver
Hammy
john grinsel
buddy19520
8 posters
AuthorMessage
buddy19520
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
buddy19520

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2010-02-28

Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos Empty
PostSubject: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 6:16 pm

I got my 2003 Silverwing in Sept. 2009 with 3800 miles on it. I used the stock IRC tires until the rear tire was worn out, which was at 7450 miles. That was around the first of April, 2010. Before discarding the old tires, I noticed that I would slip just a tiny bit on hard turns, there was a definite wobble at speed, and it took a lot of body english or counter-steer to turn at speed.

I put on Pirelli Diablo tires front and rear. Handling improved dramatically - turns took next to no effort slow/fast, or sharp or gradual. Traction was inspiring and I found myself leaning a lot in the turns and trusting the tires. The wobble was also gone.

Just this week I started paying attention to the tires again. I had noticed that it was taking more effort to turn. I now have 13,500 miles on the Silverwing (about 6100 on the Diablos). Looks like the rear is shot to me. There is a lot of feathering of the tread blocks. Not only that, during the last month or two the wobble is very much back. Take your hands off the bars for a few seconds to adjust something at 45+ mph and the bars will begin to oscillate.

So here are some random thoughts (bear in mind I have only been riding since June last year, beginning with a 150cc scooter):

When squared off and worn out, any tire probably handles like crap.

The potential mileage from the IRC and the Diablo are probably about the same - note that 3800 miles were put on by a previous rider who was selling because she may have been a bit intimidated by the bike. I put a J Costa on in January and ride the shit out of it, so I think a new IRC would not wear any better.

Once the tire gets squared off, it tends to feel like it slips a little when taking off at sharp turns. Both tires have done this.

It seems that all the problems of the IRC have manifested themselves in the Diablo as the tire has worn out.

I think that I am going to look into another brand just to see what else is out there. I have been pretty happy with the Diablo overall. Has anybody seen a tire that is dramatically better than the Diablo?

https://i.servimg.com/u/f60/15/90/19/32/novemb10.jpg
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Tirres   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeSun Nov 21, 2010 11:33 pm

First look under seat, decal----see what are approved tires for SilverWing---Bridgestone and IRC.

Best handling--stick with what Honda worked with.

Ideal handling and feel, change tires out at 5-8000 miles in matched pairs. Remember SilverWing is scooter, no match for motorcycle, can put you in trees easy.

This based on over 1.5 million 2 wheel miles,something like 3-400 tires, scooter on the side since 1968.---most miles motorcycle.

I have had both OEM Bridgestone and IRC on mine. I am no Bridgestone fan having had rear on the go failures on both Helix and Reflex, and some tread lifting on SilverWing.

Used to be we went thru 2 rears for every front---now tires seem to be more specialized and I find better to change in pairs..,I have fresh set of unmatched tires, in garage to put on-------IRC front as I like grove down center (water) and a Michelin I picked up on "tire emergency".

Wearing funny is just part of game and expense. Do own tire work, including balance.

John Grinsel Scooter "feels" better with fresh tires. Those who put car car tires on must have no "feel" for bike. Ever see road racer bike with car tires?

Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

Number of posts : 362
Registration date : 2010-05-22

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 9:26 am

I only started riding in June 2008 also with a 150cc Genuine Buddy. I've had Pirelli Diablos on my Citycom and my Silver Wing. I think they're great on twisties. My Citycom's (16" wheels) rear wore out around 8k. I'm not sure how, but my Silver Wing's rear could probably still go at least 1k and I've put over 10k miles on it, including on several pretty rough roads that were under construction out in Tennessee, at least a couple gravel-filled pits (that I thought were regular turnouts), and even a small nail in the rear that needed to be patched by a shop. I'm gonna be going darkside and there's quite a few folks on here who have been my inspiration for that. I guess we all have no feel. I'll judge on my own how my handling gets affected. Just knowing that there are others before me who have gone over to car tires and are happy with the change gives some comfort; the rest is up to me to try it for myself. If the car tire lasts me 20k, compared with a Pirelli that lasts 8-12k, and the difference is that the car tire is $20-30 cheaper but might not handle quite as precisely, I'm going with the car tire. I rode a buddy's Swing that probably has a J Costa on it (gotta confirm it cos his 2002 rides like a rocket, whereas I thought my 26g Dr. Pulleys already made my 2004 really fast), but we both ride about 20+k miles a year each, and I don't know how long the J Costa pins last, but the Dr. Pulleys might be cheaper. I guess it's all a matter of preference: performance versus durability versus price. I need what lasts longer and is cheaper.
Back to top Go down
http://www.ezridersscooterclub.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:35 am

Hammy wrote:
If the car tire lasts me 20k

I am expecting to replace my Darkside tire with 40,000 miles in the spring.

Last edited by honda_silver on Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:45 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:41 am

cheers I'm looking forward to trying to max out a car tire on the Swing too! Is the wear on the darkside particularly different because of the shape, Bill? Anything I should look out for?
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 22, 2010 11:49 am

Hammy wrote:
Is the wear on the darkside particularly different because of the shape, Bill? Anything I should look out for?

The only wear I have noticed is the tread depth Cool

Back to top Go down
Ishkatan
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Ishkatan

Number of posts : 203
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 12:59 pm

I was in a conversation with a Goldwing owner who put on a car tire in the rear with Dyna beads. Said it handles great cornering in the rain and the beads really help with the balance. Then I hear from others the beads are no good.

So... what do you look for in a darkside tire on a SW? (Just idle curiosity - I just put a Diablo on my new 2006 SW so it would pass MD state inspection.)

Also, how important is matching? I have new (2009) front Diablo but the original tire still has plenty of tread, though is starting to show dry rot. I think I may swap the front in the spring and practice front wheel braking during the winter.

BTW, The rear Diablo has lousy reactions on wet grass - or the SW is just not good off road. I was practicing slow U-turns and went off the road by only 6 inches but had to put a foot down and hold the bike up by sheer strength. That is why I am practicing...
Back to top Go down
http://www.parklawnsailingassociation.org
Hammy
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Hammy

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 2:07 pm

I dunno about wet grass. I have ridden through rain, ice, and snow on Diablos (it was on another bike) without any problems and accidentally took the SWing off road when I pulled into a gravel pit thinking it was a turnout. Didn't find handling to be particularly difficult or different from the stock tires. The reason I want to go darkside is for the tire durability - I ride about 20+k miles a year and don't want to keep forking out $60 for each Diablo rear tire when a Sumitomo darkside tire is just $45 and might last up to 40k miles.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 23, 2010 10:46 pm

Ishkatan wrote:
BTW, The rear Diablo has lousy reactions on wet grass - or the SW is just not good off road.

I have driven my Darkside tire on wet grass during pouring rain ... in a straight line. I did not have any problem with wet grass traction ... wet loose mud is a different story.
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 12:42 am

+1
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeWed Nov 24, 2010 10:18 pm

I can't say anything about auto tires on a SW, but I have swapped bikes with a friend who has a CT on the back of his GW. We both have 1800 that are set up the same other than tires. I don't like the way the CT feels on the GW in the twisties or at low speeds in parking lots. I still think there's a reason that manufacturers make tires specifically for motorcycles other than to sell more tires.
Back to top Go down
pja
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
pja

Number of posts : 158
Registration date : 2009-10-03

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 25, 2010 8:02 am

buddy19520 wrote:
... I think that I am going to look into another brand just to see what else is out there. I have been pretty happy with the Diablo overall. Has anybody seen a tire that is dramatically better than the Diablo?

Buddy,

I had Bridgestones as OEM tyres on my SW. The rear lasted about 10,000 km but was quite "iffy" from about 6,500 km. This is my first maxi so I base my tire biases on my motorcycle experience. I wanted Michelin Pilot Sport SC as my first choice or Pirelli Diablo as my second choice. Neither were available in Australia so I tried a set of Metzeler "Feelfree" tires (I know! Who would ever buy tires called "Feelfree" but there you go). These are based on Metzeler's touring tires for motorcycles. They have been on the scoot for nearly 3,000 km and so far seem very good, time will tell.

It seems the SW tire sizes are not readily stocked by the importers in Australia. This is a bit of a bummer Crying or Very sad

Regards,
Peter
Back to top Go down
http://www.caseysbeach.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos   Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Observations on tire wear on Pirelli Diablos
Page 1 of 1