Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
More butt room I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

More butt room

Go down 
+3
Somerled
dspevack
craigory
7 posters
AuthorMessage
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

Number of posts : 120
Registration date : 2011-06-25

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 am

Does anybody have a reasonably simple way to get a little more space behind the butt (crude, but what else can I call it?). I have my buttrest (is there an official name?) slid back as far as it will go, and there still isn't enough room. I have a Utopia backrest which mounts directly through the existing buttrest, so that might complicate things. Please let me know what any of you have done to improve this situation. Thanks!

Craig
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 1:31 am

http://www.leroybeal.net/motorcycles/silverwing/articles/backrest/backrest.html
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 1:39 am

Thanks Dan. That was a very clever approach. I'm not sure how that would work out with my Utopia backrest, but I'm going to take a hard look to see if they would be compatible.
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 3:04 am

Craig, I ordered the Jac Vinson seat extender here:

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Honda-Silverwing-Reflex-Drivers-Backrest-kit-Complete-/270772988952

I saw the bracket Dan mentioned but didn't think it would be reliable enough for my 230 lb body. That, and there was no padding for my lower back which the Vinson provides. It costs more sure, but still fairly inexpensive and I believe worth the extra cost. However, I will admit I think of it as only an interim solution until I get a custom seat and backrest eventually.

I believe honda_silver uses the Utopia without the backrest. You might ask Bill if that is a solution for you too. He found some padding for the bracket it uses as I recall.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 9:48 am

Somerled wrote:
I believe honda_silver uses the Utopia without the backrest. You might ask Bill if that is a solution for you too. He found some padding for the bracket it uses as I recall.

I first installed my Utopia backrest with the buttrest in place, but riding two up ~75% and with gear fully packed ... it sheared both grade 6 and grade 8 bolts. According to Utopia, this has never happened before.

I removed the buttrest and reinstalled the Utopia backrest, which is way more comfortable ( without buttrest) and allowed the two Utopia bars to be tightened and with no gap between them ... and the bolt has never sheared.

I have a Large AirHawk on my seat covered with an Alaskan sheepskin which covers the plastic groves for the buttrest ... but I will drill out the rivets and completely remove the plastic groves this fall.
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 9:55 am

corbin makes a replacement seat for 500.00. I called and found their location here in fl. I am going to go sit on one before buying. I want flatter and further back. I will let you know how it goes
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 12:09 pm

Dan, Tom, and Bill,
All of you proved good solutions with pros and cons to each one, and now I need to think about all of these options both separately and perhaps combined in some way.
>> Dan, your choice shows very detailed photos on the leroybeal website. They answer any questions I might have.
>> Tom, your choice shows photos on eBay. There are 4 bolts attaching the extension bracket to the existing seat brackets. Do those bolts just attach the extension bracket to the existing seat brackets, or do they go all the way through into the seat shell (under the cushion)?
>> honda_silver, do you have any photos of your setup? I want to make sure I understand exactly what you've done.

Thanks you guys!
Craig
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 12:19 pm

craigory wrote:
>> honda_silver, do you have any photos of your setup? I want to make sure I understand exactly what you've done.

http://www.utpr.com/silverwingnew.html

Pictures are from the website listed above

1) Utopia backrest with buttrest
More butt room Swfront

2) Utopia backrest without buttrest
More butt room Swbarcover

I use two leather wraps ( optional ) from Utopia to wrap both the upper for passenger protect the passenger and lower for appearance.

You do you not see the black plastic pieces on mine, because they are covered with a Large AirHawk and Alaskan Sheepskin ( I will have to measure to verify the size ).
Back to top Go down
Somerled
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Somerled

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-06-02

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 2:30 pm

craigory wrote:

>> Tom, your choice shows photos on eBay. There are 4 bolts attaching the extension bracket to the existing seat brackets. Do those bolts just attach the extension bracket to the existing seat brackets, or do they go all the way through into the seat shell (under the cushion)?

They go all the way through the cushion and replace the factory plate but use the rest of the factory bracket.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2011 11:55 pm

I just took my bolster off entirely, now i have plenty of room for the boys!
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2011 12:09 am

And it was free!
Back to top Go down
bkg123
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2010-09-26

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 10:47 pm

My solution was to completely remove the butt rest, I drilled the rivets out on the plastic guides and the seat allows me to stretch out as much as I like. Right now I have my Airhawk slid back over the place the butt rest used to be, but this winter that's all getting foamed and patched up. The butt rest did nothing for me.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2011 11:11 pm

Im in the process of carving my buttrest down, and back, and will re cover it and replace it. Its amazing the difference in the angle between the seat riser and the backrest to begin with. It will be a smaller and much thinner version of what already there.
Back to top Go down
tubeck
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2011-08-10

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 06, 2011 11:01 am

It seems the seat angles up you back up. i took the buut pad off and tried sitting on it. i feel like I am slide forward
Back to top Go down
craigory
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
craigory

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 12:07 am

Hi Tagg,
Do you use an Airhawk seatpad? Does it take care of the differing angle problem? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

More butt room Empty
PostSubject: Re: More butt room   More butt room I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 07, 2011 9:41 am

craigory wrote:
Do you use an Airhawk seatpad? Does it take care of the differing angle problem?

I sit all the way back without the buttrest. If you position the AirHawk properly, rear of AirHawk touching the rear ramp or even forward more ... it helps in two ways

1) AirHawk bottom has non-slip rubber and AirHawk top material helps to prevent sliding.

2) If positioned properly the AirHawk should raise your forward height by the height of the AirHawk.
Back to top Go down

More butt room
Page 1 of 1