Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!

Go down 
+5
Silverwing28681
Chilliwing
tinman
Winger61
SylSki
9 posters
AuthorMessage
SylSki
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 57
Registration date : 2013-03-11

40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! Empty
PostSubject: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 2:45 pm

Went into the garage to run the SWing for awhile and the more I stood around with the door's half open, the more I thought...what the heck. 3 thin layer's under my Leather Jacket, helmet into the house for a short so mask wouldn't fog and a pair of the bright green glove's and a handkerchief in my outside pocket! Went for a ride not picking on any distant spot in order to keep the speed down. No problem, only thing that got cold was my hand's but I should have put my thin white liners in. With mileage short of 20 some on I noted a noise that I waqs bothered with. As in the X500 I had, it sounded like a shock rattle. Not know enough about this unit I didn't look any further but hoping I may get some thought's on here. When I had this sort of similar sound on the X500, service told me it was the shock's resetting during bump's. Well, I don't know any better so...??? I enjoyed the ride and before going into the garage again, I filled up with 93 octane gas as I used in the X500. It only had taken 5 buck's but the weather forecast for this coming week it terrible and I like to go out and run the scoot. I am also keeping the trickle charger on it. In all, I love the scooter, wow the get up and go is so much stronger and faster than the 500 of course.
Back to top Go down
Winger61
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Winger61

Number of posts : 452
Registration date : 2010-10-15

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 4:19 pm

40 degrees??!! Shocked
Sounds like a heatwave compared to what we're having. Just about managed 32 degrees F today, currently 30 degrees and falling!

Graham
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 4:30 pm

I was riding at this time last year. We still have 6 ft of snow , the melt down has not started yet.I have cabin fever. affraid
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 4:32 pm

I was riding at this time last year. We still have 6 ft of snow , the melt down has not started yet.I have cabin fever. affraid
Back to top Go down
Chilliwing
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Chilliwing

Number of posts : 146
Registration date : 2011-09-03

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 5:31 pm

Tinman 6feet of snow!

That Sucks! Hate to tell you I have been riding on and off most of the winter. Today and all this week looks like blue skies, sunshine and double digits in sunny southern BC.
Keep shovelling Tinman! You will be out of the cabin and riding in another month or two!
Back to top Go down
Silverwing28681
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Silverwing28681

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2012-08-16

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Ahh, you guys must move south, Right now 6pm in the east and its 60 degrees outside
Back to top Go down
GaryM
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2012-12-27

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 7:38 pm

I got "initiated" on the highway with my SWing sooner than I wanted or expected when my wife's Jeep Wrangler went into the shop. Down a vehicle and needing to get to work, I layered up for a 32 F ride. 15 min at 40mph and 30 min at 70mph, brrr! Coming home it was a bit warmer at 40 F but I was taking some serious wind buffeting! SWing got me home, safe if slightly frozen!

Gary M
Back to top Go down
DarthJ
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 195
Registration date : 2011-09-27

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 9:52 pm

REALLY hate to tell ya, even when it gets cold here (gets down to low 30s on average with some in low 20s F) it's still nice enough to ride, I just bundle up and go for it. I lose more riding time due to wind than anything else.
Back to top Go down
SylSki
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 23, 2013 10:49 pm

Anyone experience that front end noise?
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 12:24 am

Your forks might be low in oil ,or the cold whether riding might be affecting the shock response. My 85 shadow would rattle the front suspension in cold whether.
Back to top Go down
SylSki
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 6:45 am

Starting tonight near Pittsburgh a start of a good bit of snow. Forecast is 3-6 inches but the last time we had a similar forecast we ended up with 14 inches! Oh well, just have to go out to the garage and make sure the SWing is comfortable and charged up for a big day, warm day! I realize you people in Some part's of Canada get snow measured in feet, I don't know how I could handle that. The morning's here North of Pittsburgh are in the low 20's. Am due to receive my mounting bracket for the Givi V46 tomorrow and hoping the snow doesn't set it back.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 7:05 am

I have a big sale on snow today .A full transport full for the cost of shipping .Order now before it's all gone.Order 2 loads and get one free.( price subject to change) cheers
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 10:41 pm

Same here, 40F is good riding weather. Much lower and I do plug in my Gerbings jacket liner and gloves.
BTW - 87 Octane is all you need in the US and Canada. The owner's manual was written in Japan where they like much of the world including Europe use a different octane measuring system. Using higher octane doesn't do anything good for an engine it's just a waste of money.
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 24, 2013 11:29 pm

The only I suggest...is if you are going to store it for a few weeks or months, is to put in some gas treatment....i agree with exavid, putting in higher octane is just a waste of money.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 12:48 am

Speaking of parking the scooter for awhile I installed a 12V outlet in the left cubby. Don't know why Honda provides that outlet in Europe but not here. I wired it directly through a fuse to the battery so it would be hot all the time. Then I got a Harbor Freight battery tender for around $5 and installed a 12V plug in place of the battery clips. So all I have to do to connect the battery tender to the scooter is to plug it in to the outlet in the left glove box. I have a couple of electrical outlets on reels on the ceiling of my garage so it's easy to plug in the tender where ever I happen to park the scooter. I did the same thing to my GL1500 several years ago. Very handy to keep a battery up with the least effort, no need to take anything off to hook the tender to the bike.
Back to top Go down
SylSki
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 4:03 am

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Will_it_hurt_the_motorcycle_if_you_mix_87_and_93_octane_gas
Lower Octane = More powerful explosion, very short burn time, hotter burn
High Octane = Weaker and slower explosion, colder burn.

Putting higher octane fuel in a lower octane engine usually results in poor perfromance because the power stroke has finished while the fuel is still burning
I do not know about octane, but, I found the above info at the above web site. Further, my manual for the 2102 XWing reads,"Your scooter is designed to use Pump Octane Number (PON) 86 or higher. Page 30
I think I will start using 87 Octane.
Back to top Go down
SylSki
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!   40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE! I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 25, 2013 4:06 am

Of course my previous post should read 2012 XWing not 2102 ! Sometimes my finger's go faster than the brain!
Back to top Go down

40 DEGREE'S ANXIOUS TO RIDE!
Page 1 of 1