Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Givi AF214 Airflow Adjustable Windshield install on 2012 SW
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 10:58 am

» Drive faces
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Power to gps handlebar mounted
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:32 pm

» Easy gps connection to brake switch
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:14 pm

» First impressions of the silver wing
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:24 am

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:22 pm

» From Dayton, Ohio
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:05 pm

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello everyone

Go down 
+4
MikeO
"Hi Yo"
Meldrew
jeffm68
8 posters
AuthorMessage
jeffm68
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-06-03

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 1:51 am

HEy there,

Name is Jeff, and I just started looking at some options for commuting. My wife and I are planning a move to Phoenix sometime next year, and we are only taking one of our vehicles with us; so when i get there Iam definately going to need something to get around on.

I do have a few concerns though, mainly because of my size. I am 6'2", and about 290, so I am wondering if I will fit on a SWing comfortably. From all the videos I have seen it loks like the people are a bit shorter than me and they seem to be sitting up pretty high. Any advice you can give me would be great.

I have looked into other scooters, but the Honda just seems more like what I want; that and the fond memories of my dad's Goldwing from when I was a kid of course.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4209
Registration date : 2010-11-16

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 2:37 am

Hello mate,

The best advice I'd give is go to a Honda dealership or any other bike shop that has a Silver Wing on display and go and try one for size. Make sure the adjustable seat butt stop is moved fully back when you sit on it. If you do buy a Silver Wing and still need more leg room you can remove the butt stop and convert it to a back rest like the Silver Wing in the photo at the top of home page.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello everyone 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 7:52 am

Jeff, I don't think your size would be a problem, but your motorcycle/scooter experience might. Fond memories of you father's Goldwing are good, but if you have never ridden, you need to take a MSF course. There is a chart somewhere that can calculate fit on different bikes, but I don't know where.  scratch  Maybe someone can help with that. I know you have a number of things to consider, so good luck with your search.  welcome 
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3821
Registration date : 2009-06-29

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 8:02 am

Hello Jeff.

I'm 6' tall but don't have the bum-stop right back because I have relatively short arms. My knees are bent when I'm sitting on my Silverwing; I find this position very comfortable.

I agree that sitting on one yourself is the best way to see if it's comfortable for you. Smile 
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 10:19 am

Welcome Jeff,

You will fit if you have the seat all the way back. But riding a bike in Arizona in the summer may be a bit much. I have family there and when we visit in the summer I just can't take the 110-115 degree heat. You may also try sitting on a Burgman 650 as well since they offer just a tad more leg room.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 12:35 pm

Hello JeffM and welcome to the site. I think you will find that there are quite a few very knowlegable people on this site that can help you with just about any question you have. I went through a similar evaluation process about 8 years ago and ended up buying a Silverwing. I am 6'5" and 240lbs, so I was also concerned about how well the Silverwing would fit me, but after riding it more than 40,000 miles I can tell you it fits just fine. Note that in the photo of me sitting on my bike there is lots of leg room.

If you get a Silverwing, there are several modifications you may want to consider including a taller windshield (the Givi "Airflow" is highly recommended), a seat cushion (the Air hawk works very well), and depending on your riding style, you may want to consider repalcing the standard front springs with HyperPro progressive springs to reduce the nose dive on braking and improve cornering stability.

Good luck and have fun with your analysis.
DCC
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 3:13 pm

Load capacity of SilverWing is 366 lbs.

First get motorcycle license----SilverWing is not great beginners machine---my take, having been at this a long time--61 years and over 1.5 million miles----suggest getting real motorcycle....not cruiser type!!

Costs----bikes/ scooters are not cheap to keep, especially if you cannot do work yourself---lease on new Hyundai Accent/upkeep/gas probably cheaper if you do any kind of miles.

SilverWing is reliable, on way out....but in spite of being on market a long time, dealers are not familiar with them.

If you buy one, don't waste time/money making mods until you have 5,000 miles on bike-----what feels good in showroom, may not feel good after 8-10 hour day
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Hello everyone Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello everyone   Hello everyone I_icon_minitimeTue Jun 03, 2014 4:13 pm

welcome applause welcome
Back to top Go down

Hello everyone
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: