Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Givi AF214 Airflow Adjustable Windshield install on 2012 SW
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Today at 10:58 am

» Drive faces
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Power to gps handlebar mounted
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Yesterday at 4:42 pm

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue Sep 17, 2024 10:32 pm

» Easy gps connection to brake switch
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:14 pm

» First impressions of the silver wing
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:24 am

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:22 pm

» From Dayton, Ohio
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:05 pm

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

New to the site - Columbus Ohio

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
jpoliti
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-07-02

New to the site - Columbus Ohio Empty
PostSubject: New to the site - Columbus Ohio   New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 2:04 pm

Hi. I've had my 2008 Silver Wing for the past 2 years. Have enjoyed riding it mostly around town and occasionally on the highway but haven't taken it on any long trips (yet). Love the bike for it's get-up-and-go as well as the storage - I have a Givi box as well as the underseat storage.
One of the reasons I'm here - I am curious if it is possible to "easily" and "affordably" upgrade the brake system to ABS from what I have right now. I had an elderly lady turn in front of me in town and I was on a bad road surface. Managed to lay the bike down with lots of cosmetic damage. Her insurance paid for the repairs to the bike and it's running good as new, but I'm considering the ABS version of the SW. Rather than throw the baby out with the bathwater, I'd like to see if the bike can be refitted. Didn't see anything in the forums, but if there is a discussion I'd like to be pointed to it.
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
New to the site - Columbus Ohio 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: New to the site - Columbus Ohio   New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 2:57 pm

sunny     welcome     sunny    Glad you got your bike fixed. As to the brake conversion, there has been a discussion. As I remember, the short answer was no. I couldn't find the thread. Maybe someone else will find it for you. I think the cost of conversion would be more than buying a model equipped with the ABS. Stay tuned, I'm sure someone will let us know. Hopefully in a new thread, so it can be found in the future.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: New to the site - Columbus Ohio   New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 3:31 pm

To convert a non-ABS Swing to ABS would be a financial nightmare. You would need: new wheels, new front and rear brake calipers, ABS modulator, new ECU, different main wiring harness, front and rear speed sensors, instrument panel, front master cylinder, etc

The wiring harness is $365, the ECU is $538, speed sensors $100 each, front brake calliper $300, ABS modulator $860......

I've only listed $2300 in parts. There are many more.
You'd be looking at a minimum of $5000 for parts and labour. I'm also quite confident no mechanic would touch that job, for fear of missing something and the liability involved.
Sell your Swing and buy an ABS model.
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

PostSubject: Re: New to the site - Columbus Ohio   New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 3:40 pm

Welcome to the forum jpoliti. You could do like I did and keep your 08 and find a slightly used one with ABS.  Smile 
 welcome
Back to top Go down
LDB
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
LDB

Number of posts : 157
Registration date : 2014-05-19

PostSubject: Re: New to the site - Columbus Ohio   New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 02, 2014 6:47 pm

Welcome to the forum. I'm new here too. It's a great group of helpful people. There is a very simple way to upgrade to ABS at probably equal or less cost than do it yourself. Sell yours to someone and take that money plus some boot and buy an ABS bike. The difference will likely be less than the total cost of upgrading yours.
Back to top Go down
jpoliti
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2014-07-02

PostSubject: Re: New to the site - Columbus Ohio   New to the site - Columbus Ohio I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 03, 2014 10:48 am

LOL - Well, not what I wanted to hear, but probably what I needed to hear. I'll have to look into selling the bike. Shame - I really like the bike.
Back to top Go down

New to the site - Columbus Ohio
Page 1 of 1