Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Drive faces
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Today at 6:04 pm

» Power to gps handlebar mounted
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Today at 4:42 pm

» Givi AF214 Airflow Adjustable Windshield install on 2012 SW
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby AGWING Today at 11:38 am

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Easy gps connection to brake switch
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:14 pm

» First impressions of the silver wing
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:24 am

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:22 pm

» From Dayton, Ohio
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:05 pm

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:59 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Hello from AL!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Manowar
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2014-10-28

Hello from AL! Empty
PostSubject: Hello from AL!   Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeWed Oct 29, 2014 9:26 pm

Hi, I am new to here, thanks for having this! This beauty came from the dead in Pensacola, it was nothing bu a frame, engine and wheels with a title. I recently started rebuilding this 2003 FSC600 Silverwing. Her colors are wineberry red and silver. There are so many steps to completing this project, but, as many of you can understand, I enjoy the challenge! She is looking pretty good now and I have taken her for short drives up and down my street. I am so excited about this, I have always owned motorcycles and this automatic is incredible!
So the rear brakes have caused me some grief. First it was missing a caliper. I bought one and also the brake line that connects via banjo bolt. I attempted to use the left rear brake lever to bleed the system and nothing came out. I could hear a squirting sound but it was coming from the front. I found that there was a missing line from the FRONT caliper, it is a nipple thread that sits in between two banjo bolt lines. I cannot find this in the service manual or the parts list on bikebandit.com. Also, now the rear parking break stopped engaging when pulled. Not sure if there is any relation but the parking break worked fine before I started working on the caliper!
I would appreciate any advice on this topic and look forward to meeting new friends/enthusiasts of this beast of a scooter!

Noel
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Number of posts : 2085
Registration date : 2010-02-03

Hello from AL! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from AL!   Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 12:09 am

First welcome to the best Silverwing forum on the web.

The rear master cylinder controls two hoses, one goes to the rear caliper and one goes to the front caliper. Below are links to the parts involved.

REAR BRAKE MASTER Parts

F-1-5

FRONT BRAKE - CALIPER

REAR BRAKE - CALIPER

Here are some links to help you learn a little about maintenance for your scooter.
Maintenance, Tips and Hints
"Pictorials" Maintenance
Look through there and if you can't find what you need there the search works good on this forum. Then if you still need help just ask again.
If no one else joins in on this post I'll try to add more later. I hope this helps you some to get started.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Hello from AL! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from AL!   Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:40 am

Welcome to the forum from me too.

There are two bleed nipples on the front caliper. When bleeding the brake system the rear caliper is bled first, then the lower nipple on the front caliper, then the top nipple on the front valiper is bled via the right brake lever.

Regarding your Parking brake: it's always reassuring to me to hear that someone else is getting the, "It wasn't broke until you fixed it..." treatment. All I can say that the Park brake is a PITA. While it's relatively easy to adjust -much easiier to access with the muffler off- that adjustment seems to
change at will. Assuming that the cable does move then the best way to adjust the brake is (with the scoot on the center stand) to slowly pull up the parking brake handle four clicks. Then loosen the lock nut on parking brake caliper adjustment screw and turn the screw so that the rear wheel is locked. Then hold the screw in position and tighten the lock nut. Release the Park brake handle and rotate the the rear wheel by hand. If there is any brake drag on the wheel repeat the above procedure as necessary.

It's a relatively simple mechanism but a PITA to deal with -and expect that adjustment to change at will. FWIW those parking brake "pads" are extremely thin -almost cardboard thin. They are only designed to keep the bike from rolling when parked, not to stop the bike at speed like the actual brake calipers do.

Do try not to ride off with the Parking Brake still engaged. It will ride fine but you'll quickly eat up that pad surface and you'll be out another $45 + maybe a new disc too. Oh, and as long as the Parking Brake light is lit your odometer ceases to accumulate miles.

Tim
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Hello from AL! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from AL!   Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 4:08 pm

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Oh, and as long as the Parking Brake light is lit your odometer ceases to accumulate miles.
Tim
Thanks for that information, I never knew that. I don't know if I want to ask how you found that out. Shocked
I guess I've been lucky because my parking brake has been fine since I adjusted it. I hope I haven't jinxed myself saying that.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Hello from AL! 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

Hello from AL! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from AL!   Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 5:25 pm

Welcome Noel. Good luck with your restoration. cheers welcome cheers
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Hello from AL! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from AL!   Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 5:35 pm

model28a wrote:
Cosmic_Jumper wrote:

Oh, and as long as the Parking Brake light is lit your odometer ceases to accumulate miles.
Thanks for that information, I never knew that. I don't know if I want to ask how you found that out.<>

Suffice it to say that I've had to replaced a few parking brake pads.

Tim
Back to top Go down
dwoodul
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
dwoodul

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2014-08-20

Hello from AL! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from AL!   Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:44 pm

Welcome Noel. Good job with the SWing restoration. I know that's a lot of work. I restored a Honda V65 Magna about 10yrs ago and that was a bunch of work but fun. Bet I ordered 100 Magna parts from Ebay. david
Back to top Go down
model28a
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
model28a

Hello from AL! Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello from AL!   Hello from AL! I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 30, 2014 10:52 pm

Tim as you mentioned in your post above for the price they charge you sure don't get much of a pad on the parking brake. When I adjusted my parking brake I only pulled the handle up one click before I adjusted the brake pads. I wonder if that's why I haven't had to adjust it again. Question
Back to top Go down

Hello from AL!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: