Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Today at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Today at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter

Go down 
+5
Meldrew
Mike from NS
Easyrider
Cosmic_Jumper
john grinsel
9 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter Empty
PostSubject: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 12:26 pm

As I get closer to buying another bike/scooter. Already bought 9 new rubber band drive scooters since 1990---getting tired of plastic panels and belt replacement.... ridden these rubber band things near 400,000 miles, so have some time on them.

78 in a few days, getting hard to do feet up U turns when I stop on small roads---SilverWing is heavy and can be very top heavy feeling loaded for long tours. Also hard to put over 500lbs pig on lift alone, thinking about all the expensive broken plastic that could happen in tipover.

My current SilverWing is 2013 left over and I have kept it longer than I usually do=starting to spend money on it...warranty done.

Current considerations= Suzuki TU 250---slow, never seem to break, easy to work on---already had one new---worked fine for my use, as far as Maine, WI, UP of Mich from Chattanooga. And Honda PCX150--has 3 HP less than TU, over road performance about the same. I like Vespa--had 4 in the past, 2 125's. P200E and P150E. I liked the 150 best, often used it for European camping trips----But for the price of a VespaGTS300 equipped with windshield, rack, etc.
I can/could buy both a new TU250 and PCX150 here!! nearest Vespa Dealer 125 miles and no large network of dealers in the US or Canada for that matter. Both Suzuki and Honda have dealer network in N. America.

One other possibility=Suzuki Burgman 400, best feature non-linked brakes!! But $8000 a lot for scooter that is about 100 pounds lighter than SilverWing. They work well for me--had 2 new ones, went as far as Alaska. Better Gas mileage than SilverWing.2016 left overs available in US market.

I do not buy used....as with the miles I ride and everyday use, I soon turn a new bike into used and I find warranty very nice.

So in real world TU250 or Honda PCX150?? Honda Forza 300 out as it appears to be one model year only in US(dead big scooter market probably cause). As I age no trikes for me---had 2 Messerschmitts in the 1950's---liked them,pusher 2 wheels in front, heater and by sliding the front seat out, you could sleep in them=nice when you had no money for hotels.

My decision will probably be TU250??

Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 12:51 pm

Turning 78 in a few days? Well thenHappy Birthday Mr Grinsel. I hope you are able to continue your riding career for many years to come.

Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 1:35 pm

John,
Welcome to the best Silverwing site on either side of the pond. A lot of great riders that can answer any questions you may have.  Nah, just joking.

My question to you is --- How much longer will you be able to do long distance riding? That should be considered when picking your next bike? Also --- Would you ever consider a bike with side car? You seem to have done a bunch of miles on them.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 2:10 pm

see no limits on when---living in boring place---getting away makes life interesting.

Sidecar---rode for 40 years-- show me modern machine other than URAL that made to take the strains of sidecar? Maybe Jawa 2-stroke? BMW's used to be sidecar strong---I bought new Harley in 1966 with factory tin sidecar---bike designed to take strain, engine couldn't really stand being run hard, keep the speed down=ok
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 2:48 pm

Happy 78th ,,, in a few days, John !! Many more miles to ride so the next bike has to be even more special ---- and reliable. Have you ever considered some of what Kymco offer?

Mike
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 20, 2017 4:46 pm

Kymco yes---but no dealer in Chattanooga, and dealer network in N. America??
Back to top Go down
Mike from NS
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Mike from NS

Number of posts : 462
Registration date : 2013-09-12

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 8:21 am

John, when in Nova Scotia last summer ... did you go to Peggy's Cove? The Peggy's Cove Lighthouse is what I have there for the avatar.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 8:53 am

john grinsel wrote:
Kymco yes---but no dealer in Chattanooga, and dealer network in N. America??

A quick Search by me using a random zip code for your area found two Kymco dealerships in Chattanooga that could fix you up. Smile

Triumph of Chattanooga, and Scenic City Scooters.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 9:25 am

Scenic city dealership=closed, Triumph of Chattanooga does ATV's, so nothing for scooters, is also BMW shop that offered me awful deal on trade for BMW scooter last year. Try to stay away from them.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 9:51 am

I feel for you John, you're in a state with bad food, dirty rest rooms, and now a scarcity of decent scooter dealerships. Sad
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 11:48 am

John,

Here is a suggestion: Keep the Silverwing for long distance riding and buy a PCX 150 for in town errands.

Nothing wrong with having more than one bike to take care of the motorcycle needs of a serious rider like yourself.

Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 12:11 pm

Get old,78, SilverWing is just too heavy/too big, really enjoy for long trips to strange places. Can tip over in parking lots, etc. Mine is also getting up in mileage/always like new, something different.

Probably will get my second Suzuki TU 250---they don't break, easy to work on/keep up.

Never have liked heavy bikes--had one new barge, Kawasaki 1200 Voyager, so heavy center stand worked like jack. Had 4 HD big twins, set up right they were ok--solo seat/no junk added on/engine could really not take hard running--vibration, too.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 3:26 pm

John

I think the TU 250 is a good choice & quite a small frame sized motorcycle (your aware as youve already owned if i read correctly)

They do go on forever and are easy to maintain. A mate of mine is 1800 miles into a trip to Croatia and back on his as I type his running mate is on a Suzuki RV125 Van Van.

Now as an alternative how about considering the RV 200 which I believe is now marketed stateside but the 180 rear tyre can put some folks off
Back to top Go down
Scootn56
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-02-23

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 2:12 am

John, I am surprised that you are thinking about another Suzuki TU250. Have you changed your mind about bikes without center stands? You commented the following on October 16th 2016
Quote :
Getting harder to find something that will work for me and my riding needs.....and I will not buy anything that has no centerstand----I rode my TU 250 10,000 miles (worked fine) but got tired of NO CENTEREDSTAND. I have had over 75 new bikes/scooters so some brand experience with lots of miles ridden.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 6:58 am

I hate to live with no center stand---can make/use swing arm support for chain oiling or even try Loobman chain oiler Other maint. put it on my lift where it is held upright.

The question is? What else is there on US market that can be loaded up (rack/top box for dog/metal tank for magnetic tank bag -waterproof/choice of windshield -round handlebars)? Maybe a little overpriced, Suzuki still has fairly large US dealer net work, in case of trouble. Nut and screw valve adjustment nice.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 8:47 am

[quote="john grinsel]<>The question is? What else is there on US market ...<> [/quote]

What about a Honda Forza NSS300.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 9:37 am

I hope the big companies stroll thru the forums and are listening to you, John. A Grinsel edition with all your requisites would be nice ! Heck, I'd buy one in a few years.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 10:12 am

The Forza may be a one year only in US--that scares me. I test rode one=ok, nothing special....am getting tired of drive belts and plastic to take off.
Back to top Go down
Scootn56
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2013-02-23

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 1:58 pm

The Honda Forza was available thru 2016. Honda of Chattanooga shows to have a 2016 in stock on their new inventory list of their website. Southern Honda shows a 2014 model for $3997.00
You have mentioned in the past the Yamaha SR400. Have you ruled that one out?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 3:07 pm

I can live with SR400----had a new SR500----but the SR 400 isn't cheap, don't mind kick start but Hepco & Becker rack/hard bags really expensive add on plus windshield---makes it more money than I might want to spend for low performing bike.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter   still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

still thinking on choice of new bike/scooter
Page 1 of 1