Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Pastor Rons chain problem

Go down 
+2
Dale N.
oldwingguy
6 posters
AuthorMessage
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

Pastor Rons chain problem Empty
PostSubject: Pastor Rons chain problem   Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2019 6:08 pm

My friend has a long history with bikes and maintenance, and works as he wishes in his friends bike repair shop, his thoughts on the problem.

My first question is HOW LONG IS THE DISTANCE BETWEEN SPROCKETS? A long run will cause chain slap without any type of guide/tensioner. Slap is bad. Look at the long travel chains on dirt bikes, they all have numerous tensioners and guides to keep chain in check. Kerosene is a no no. It attracts dirt and attacks the rubber o-rings. WD-40 on a rag is the popular cleaning agent followed by a dry rag wipe and then lube with a QUALITY lube. Some folks even avoid WD-40 and prefer a petroleum free cleaner because of the o-rings, but I have always done okay with WD-40. Do this on a hot chain right after a ride. Where does these chain and sprockets live? Rear brakes wear much faster than front brakes because they live in an environment where they get little cooling air flow and the dust and grit kicked up by the bike is worse on the rear. If this chain and sprocket combo is in an area where dirt is prevalent and little cooling takes place that is going to accelerate wear at a pretty good pace. I’m leaning towards the environment where the chain lives and I bet the manufacturer knows this and that’s why they say 8000 miles is the average. Why not belt drive like the Spyder? Talk about a very nasty, dirty place to work. The RT belt is practically fully surrounded by bodywork and other parts. It is a hot, dirty place to work, but yet over 100,000 miles is the norm for these belts. My vote is on the environment where these chains work and this set up screams for a belt drive system.
Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2014-02-13

PostSubject: Re: Pastor Rons chain problem   Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2019 10:12 pm

Makes sense to me. Hopefully my GT3 chain will last a while. Time and mileage will tell.
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

PostSubject: Re: Pastor Rons chain problem   Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2019 8:52 am

Just a thought here. Why could this not be a problem of misalignment of the sprockets. There are a couple of inexpensive lazer chain-alignment tools available which would certainly confirm that the chain were properly aligned.

Perhaps the sprockets themselves are not plumb, or rear sprocket is twisted (?) relative to the fixed front sprocket. Either of these would add a lot of stress both the sprockets and chain.

Tim
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Pastor Rons chain problem   Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2019 9:01 am

Tim that's why I said this, I've seen it with chains and V BELTS, it doesn't take much and the longer the distance between pulley / sprocket centers the worse it is. <<>>> Any offset between the sprockets can put the chain in a bind and cause even more wear.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Pastor Rons chain problem   Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2019 11:42 am

I just say poor design
Back to top Go down
Pastor Ron
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 400
Registration date : 2013-02-24

PostSubject: Re: Pastor Rons chain problem   Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2019 3:50 pm

thank you everyone in your interest and information, that I will consider all. However, I was just informed by a brother on the Trike Talk forum that he is willing to meet up with me to investigate this issue and HOPEFULLY resolve the problem....IF their is one. Thanks again everyone, and I WILL keep you posted.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Pastor Rons chain problem   Pastor Rons chain problem I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2019 7:19 pm

I think like anything, once you modify it you loose some reliability. No matter how well engineered it is, its a modification outside of the original design. I had a Tow-Pac kit that fell apart. So when it came time to replace it I did a bunch of research and the MotorTrike kit got the best overall reviews. I dont think we will put even 1500 miles a year on ours, and if it does turn out that our sprockets fail at 8000ish miles than we'll deal with it then. Im gonna get in touch with the guy who did our GT3 kit. He has been a service tech/master mechanic FOREVER and has been doing MotorTrike kits since they started. He'll be honest about wear items and labor cost to repair. Will post my findings. Overall, we like out GT3 kit. Its not as refined as a factory trike but it rides nice and seems well put together.
Back to top Go down

Pastor Rons chain problem
Page 1 of 1