Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Easy gps connection to brake switch
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Today at 5:14 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Yesterday at 3:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:24 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:22 am

» From Dayton, Ohio
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:05 am

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:59 am

» Drive faces
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:57 pm

» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:45 am

» V Belt Light
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:39 am

» Introducing ME
Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:21 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage

Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? Empty
PostSubject: Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?   Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 4:14 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-tdVY6Kone4

I know how the variator works, but it looks like it has TWO variators.

I was wondering what happens to the "slack" when the variator changes pitch, but now I can see that both the front and the rear gadgets change proportionally.

Here's my brain's attempt to understand:

1. The front gadget is the clutch. The fat coil spring tends to keep the cones squeezed together, and that's what takes up the slack of the belt.

2. The rear gadget is the variator.

3. The variator is what actually changes the "gearing." The front pulley expands or narrows as the force of the variator "pulling" on the belt forces it to do so over the objection of the coil spring. So the front gadget is just passively reacting to what the variator does.

Right?

Please tell me I'm right.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?   Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 4:18 pm

Oops. Clutch rear, variator front.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?   Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 4:31 pm

By the way: What's the weight of the OEM rollers?
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-13

PostSubject: Re: Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?   Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeTue Feb 09, 2010 4:44 pm

1) The 'front gadget' would be the object on the left. It's the Variator. It expands or narrows relative to the engine rpm's and the centrifugal force on the variator roller weights, or slider weights.

2) the 'rear gadget' is the Driven Pulley assy. Hidden behind the Driven Pulley is the clutch itself. The clutch shoes expand as the Driven Pulley's rpm increases. The shoes expand to contact the Clutch Bell (Honda calls it the Clutch Outer) which is directly connected to the rear wheel via the final reduction gears.

3) The action of the Variator Pulley and Driven Pulley expanding and contracting in consort are what changes the gearing.

This site might help explain the working of the CVT, but the illustration of the rear pulley/clutch is assbackwards relative to the Silverwing. The Silverwing clutch is attached to the 'back half rear pulley'.

http://flexistentialist.org/blog/archives/2003/10/27/cvt-basics-constant-variable-transmissions/

Hope this helps

Tim
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?   Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 2:21 am

mickey wrote:
By the way: What's the weight of the OEM rollers?
28 grams
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?   Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:18 am

Cosmic_Jumper wrote:
1) The 'front gadget' would be the object on the left. It's the Variator. It expands or narrows relative to the engine rpm's and the centrifugal force on the variator roller weights, or slider weights.

2) the 'rear gadget' is the Driven Pulley assy. Hidden behind the Driven Pulley is the clutch itself. The clutch shoes expand as the Driven Pulley's rpm increases. The shoes expand to contact the Clutch Bell (Honda calls it the Clutch Outer) which is directly connected to the rear wheel via the final reduction gears.

3) The action of the Variator Pulley and Driven Pulley expanding and contracting in consort are what changes the gearing.

This site might help explain the working of the CVT, but the illustration of the rear pulley/clutch is assbackwards relative to the Silverwing. The Silverwing clutch is attached to the 'back half rear pulley'.

http://flexistentialist.org/blog/archives/2003/10/27/cvt-basics-constant-variable-transmissions/

Hope this helps

Tim

And the light bulb goes on! Got it. Thanks.

Heavier rollers make the gear ratio lower, like short-shifting a standard transmission. ("Higher" gear, for cruising.) The contra spring makes the gear ratio higher. ("Lower" gear for acceleration.) They have to be in balance.

Simple, yet complex.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-29

PostSubject: Re: Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?   Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 10, 2010 7:33 am

Hi Mickey,

Hope this helps:

Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? Scan_310
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?   Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 4:23 am

hey mickey,
That is a video of my bike i made in 08. i'm supprised it gets so many
viewers
As the others have said, the variator is the larger front one and the
clutch is the rear one. As the engine rpm increases the belt in the front
increases diameter the the rear spring loaded one is forced to follow.

glad you liked my video.
Paul
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?   Now I'm confused.  Which one is the clutch? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 10, 2010 7:05 am

Having completed the installation of my "yellow springs" and 26 gram rollers I can now say, officially, "I understand." It's an absurdly simple system, really.
Back to top Go down

Now I'm confused. Which one is the clutch?
Page 1 of 1