Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Givi AF214 Airflow Adjustable Windshield install on 2012 SW
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby AGWING Today at 11:38 am

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 10:32 pm

» Power to gps handlebar mounted
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Yesterday at 5:44 pm

» Easy gps connection to brake switch
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Mon Sep 16, 2024 1:14 pm

» First impressions of the silver wing
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Sun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Sun Sep 15, 2024 4:24 am

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:22 pm

» From Dayton, Ohio
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Fri Sep 13, 2024 1:05 pm

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Thu Sep 12, 2024 3:59 pm

» Drive faces
First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sat Sep 07, 2024 9:57 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First impressions of the silver wing

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
RedRaider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RedRaider

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2024-09-09

First impressions of the silver wing Empty
PostSubject: First impressions of the silver wing   First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 12, 2024 9:57 pm

Having owned the Burgman 400 and 650, i can safely say the silver wing is more fun to ride. I felt very comfortable immediately on my first ride ever. As if I'd had it for years.
It's quite a bit lighter and more nimble than the big Burgman, and in every way out performs the 400. So it fits nicely in the middle.

The sitting position and the little backrest fit me just perfectly at 5'9". My feet naturally go to the forward part of the boards, which I really like, rather than the feel of the "throne" position with knees together, which I've always disliked.

Acceleration is good, not great. Roll on from 45 to 65 is just OK. The linked brakes feel very solid.
Freeway riding-it feels very planted and predictable. Wind /wet protection is excellent.
The only negative is the engine is a little buzzy, compared to the Burg 650 anyway. Not bad but it's there at any rpm. But mirrors are clear, even at 75 mph so I'll get used to it.
Bottom line is I really like it and will ride it a lot and that's what it's all about!
Glad to have found this forum :-)
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: First impressions of the silver wing   First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2024 5:44 am

Lots of great information here in this site- the only thing I note with the SWing is that when passing traffic, I have to plan the pass just a little better to give me more time to get by vs my 1100’s (with the SWing, it takes just a little longer to pass). It’s my ‘rolling office chair’ and to me is as good as a Honda DCT bike even though it’s a CVT without true gears.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2606
Registration date : 2012-05-17

PostSubject: Re: First impressions of the silver wing   First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 13, 2024 7:56 am

Thanks for your impressions! I bought my Silver Wing in 2012 and still love it. The power is good, especially for a 600cc.  My main gripe was the windshield, I am 6 foot and the stock screen was too short. I had a Cee Bailey custom made years ago and it rocks.  All in all this is one of the quietest and smoothest bikes I have owned!
Back to top Go down
COMick
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 13
Registration date : 2020-10-31

PostSubject: Re: First impressions of the silver wing   First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 14, 2024 9:31 pm

Hey Red Raider, I see that you also have a Honda CTX 700N. I've been contemplating going from my 2004 Swing to a 2014 CTX700. I'm currently hitting the freeway here in northern Colorado for a 20 mile commute to work and posted speed limit is 75! So far, the Swing is keeping up well (and passing a lot of slower moving vehicles to boot) but I'm not sure how much punishment this 580cc engine can take.

Can you compare the ride of the CTX and the Swing on the interstates?
Back to top Go down
RedRaider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RedRaider

PostSubject: Re: First impressions of the silver wing   First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2024 1:31 am

Hey COMick- yes I have the naked version of the CTX700. I am pretty familiar with I-25 in Northern Colorado.75 mph on I-25 is just a suggestion, as you must know.

My brother used to live in Loveland, and my family would often vacation in the Poudre Canyon. River rafting mostly. Love it up there.

The engines are quite different on the two bikes. The CTX has a 270° crank, very torque-y down low like a v-twin cruiser. Not something I'd really recommend for sustained 80 mph runs.

If you're going to make daily 40 mile round trips on a freeway like that i would recommend  something like a used Honda ST1100. Can pick one up for probably 4500 bucks, and it eats miles like M&M's
80 mph is a comfortable cruising speed for it. Very good wind /weather protection. And that V4 is smooth as buttuh!

But to specifically answer your question if I had to take the CTX or the Swing on that run, I'd take the Swing.
Good luck!
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 375
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: First impressions of the silver wing   First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2024 8:21 am

COMick wrote:
Hey Red Raider, I see that you also have a Honda CTX 700N. I've been contemplating going from my 2004 Swing to a 2014 CTX700. I'm currently hitting the freeway here in northern Colorado for a 20 mile commute to work and posted speed limit is 75! So far, the Swing is keeping up well (and passing a lot of slower moving vehicles to boot) but I'm not sure how much punishment this 580cc engine can take.

Personal opinion…I think the SWing’s engine is easily up to the task for a 20 mile commute, even at 75 mph. I ride mine on a local highway at 75+ mph and plenty of grunt is available (and you’re no where near redline). Maintain it and use it. Getting an ST1100 is a viable option, but then it’s another bike you need to learn and maintain (maintenance is pretty straightforward on those) plus insurance and registry costs. They are great bikes though (I have 2 of them and love to ride them, but they are heavy beasts, ~ 750# or so loaded).
Back to top Go down
RedRaider
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
RedRaider

PostSubject: Re: First impressions of the silver wing   First impressions of the silver wing I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 15, 2024 11:04 am

Erdoc48 wrote:
COMick wrote:

Personal opinion…I think the SWing’s engine is easily up to the task for a 20 mile commute, even at 75 mph. I ride mine on a local highway at 75+ mph and plenty of grunt is available (and you’re no where near redline). Maintain it and use it. Getting an ST1100 is a viable option, but then it’s another bike you need to learn and maintain (maintenance is pretty straightforward on those) plus insurance and registry costs. They are great bikes though (I have 2 of them and love to ride them, but they are heavy beasts, ~ 750# or so loaded).

Good points on the ST1100--it is a pretty heavy machine,but dang its a great sport tourer. I was also assuming OP is commuting on I-25, that may not be the case at all, in fact I think the speed limit on that road is 80 or 85? I know its hammer down or get outta the way
I do think the CTX700 engine is slightly more highway friendly, but mine being the Naked, I just cant handle the beating from the wind at sustained speed,which is why I would prefer the SWing on hiways.
COMick, you might want to look at the full fairing version of the CTX700--no doubt a cleaner ride through the turbulence, and most of them I have seen are DCT versions. Never ridden one myself
Anyway, good luck
Back to top Go down

First impressions of the silver wing
Page 1 of 1