Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Easy gps connection to brake switch
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby gettyuptogo Today at 5:14 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Yesterday at 3:04 am

» Throttle Body Jiggle Valve
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Sun Sep 15, 2024 8:24 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sun Sep 15, 2024 9:22 am

» From Dayton, Ohio
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Sat Sep 14, 2024 5:05 am

» Hello from Fort Worth,Tx
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Fri Sep 13, 2024 7:59 am

» Drive faces
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Sep 08, 2024 1:57 pm

» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Sun Sep 08, 2024 6:45 am

» V Belt Light
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Sep 08, 2024 4:39 am

» Introducing ME
Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Sep 07, 2024 11:21 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Greetings from the UK

Go down 
+4
Meldrew
JohnyC
GHM-PM
d0nnyoz
8 posters
AuthorMessage
d0nnyoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2024-08-11

Greetings from the UK Empty
PostSubject: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2024 8:24 pm

Just 'found' this forum and thought I would join as after reading quite a few postings, I realised what a helpful bunch you are!

I've had my Silverwing (FJS600) for about 3 years now (purchased 2nd hand) and has 16,000 miles on it.
I've always had big bikes for the last 30 years or so, and almost all Honda's. My trusty Hornet was my goto bike but I did really enjoy my Blackbird! I had a Ducati 1000 Monster for a while (got it rather cheaply!) and ended up with a ban of 4 months for speeding tickets ('totting up' we call it in the UK) and then had some close shaves with cars and my wife told me I had to get rid of the bikes!
Said I could get a scooter so I came home with the Silverwing! (She said, that's a big scooter!)

But there are a couple of things I now want to do with the Silverwing. Like change the shocks, need a new seat damper, want a new smaller screen on it, etc, so I'm hoping I can get some help with that on this forum.
Doesn't seem to be an abundance of parts in the UK for the Silverwing so I'm interested in other experiences of buying parts, globally.

Anyway, loving the Silverwing. So easy to ride.
Back to top Go down
GHM-PM
Site Admin
GHM-PM

Number of posts : 2606
Registration date : 2012-05-18

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2024 11:36 pm

Welcome aboard! Lots of good info on here. Be sure to check out the maintenance pictorials, they have helped me a lot.

Keep the rubber down AND the speed LOL.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2022-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 4:44 am

Hi dOnnyoz from the west country (Bristol to be exact)

Welcome to the forum, for all things Silverwing and a bit more besides.
You didn't say what year it is, helps us gauge possible advice.

For most spare parts these days Ebay is your friend, use Fowlers parts identifier for the Honda part number then spam Ebay with it.
Check the latest topics "Shock Absorber YSS replacement".
Only people making replacement screens these days is Givi, take a look at their AF214 adjustable screen, if you want it short just leave the top adjuster screen part off.
I personally don't use a seat damper, tried a few, either they are too hard or soft and restrictive as to how far you can open the seat up to, its a big storage boot, make the most of it.

Hope this helps.

Be safe, be seen! ear buds and headphones killed load pipes, Hi-vis and LEDs are your friends these days according to insurance statistics.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4208
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 5:46 pm

JohnyC wrote:
Only people making replacement screens these days is Givi, take a look at their AF214 adjustable screen, if you want it short just leave the top adjuster screen part off.

That's not true at all. Givi is undoubtedly the most popular choice to replace the awful OE screen, I fitted one myself but there are others.

Leaving out US screen manufacturers, some owners have fitted the KF214 from Kappa, Givi's sister company. French manufacturers Secdem and Ermax both make screens of different heights and colours.

Another manufacturer is MRA who have a Vario screen which has an adjustable spoiler on the top. There's also was a Japanese screen for the Silver Wing that gave both height and full hand coverage, whether that's still available I've no idea.

From bitter experience I wouldn’t recommend anyone who has a Givi Airflow fitted riding with the adjustable top screen removed. In fact I've posted about this on previous occasions.

I had a top section detach itself at speed on the A1 in North Yorkshire and I had to ride over 100 miles back to Cumbria with all the wind blast from the bottom section.

It was vey noisy and uncomfortable, my custom fit earplugs and supposedly quiet Schuberth helmet seemed to be of little use. Up on the Pennines I had to stop and put on another layer under my summer suit to stop windchill. With the top screen fitted this had alway been unnecessary.

I arrived back home fatigued with my ears ringing, and both my helmet and jacket were plastered with dead insects. Since I already have tinnitus from my early riding years of naked bikes, crap helmets, and no earplugs as everyone was blissfully unaware of noise related hearing damage. I'd have probably made my tinnitus a lot worse without those custom fit earplugs.

Luckily replacement top screens were easily available and not too expensive so things got back to normal pretty quickly.

So with this cautionary tale posted yet again, I would strongly recommend that anyone who values their hearing leave the top screen in place and just lower it.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1022
Registration date : 2016-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2024 6:13 pm

Welcome to the forum.
Hagon are the other make of shock, UK based too. Whether changing the shocks will benefit you will depend on what you're looking for, I like them but others prefer the softer feel of the originals.
One thing that is worth doing straight away is replacing the fork oil as this often gets ignored for years. Don't fret oil weights, springs or emulators, just something fresh will make a big difference.
Screens are very personal, I think I'm the only one here happy with the original screen, although I do take if off in hot weather.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1600
Registration date : 2016-10-02

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2024 7:09 am

Welcome to the forum DOnnyoz. There is a mine of information here on the forum and I hope you find it useful.

David Silver Spares have all the OEM parts you might need and the seat damper is not that expensive. I replaced mine 10 years ago and it still works fine. Well worth the money.

Of course eBay is useful for all kinds of spares and there is a guy in the UK who regularly breaks Silverwings for parts.

As I am near Eastbourne in East Sussex, maybe we could arrange a meet-up for a ride around and a chat.

Hope you enjoy your SW, it can be great fun once you get used it. welcome

Back to top Go down
Dale N.
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Dale N.

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2014-02-14

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 18, 2024 11:45 am

Welcome dOnnyoz to the BEST SWing forum in the Universe!!
I've never had anybody from another planet tell me otherwise so it must be true!!
Lots of info here and the "Search" box at the top left can be your friend.
I've learned a lot just by being a member.
Back to top Go down
Maco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2024-08-22

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 24, 2024 7:47 pm

Good morning everyone
This MrSÈGO from Benin Republic 🇧🇯
Just purchased an used sw 600 . Here, it's difficult to get silverwing parts, Whereas I am in need of a radiator. Could you let me know its price? And how I could get?
Or an supplier address.
Thanks

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1022
Registration date : 2016-05-16

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2024 8:37 pm

Congratulations on you new SW.
Over here in the UK I have used https://
www.fowlersparts.co.uk/ but to export to Benin might be expensive.
I expect you'll need to do a lot of googling to find whichever supplier is nearest you.
Good luck with the search.
Back to top Go down
d0nnyoz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 2
Registration date : 2024-08-11

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2024 4:44 am

Thanks for all the info regarding the parts.
I've had a quick look round but parts are not that abundant and also quite expensive - I don't remember my other Honda parts or even my Ducati parts being that exensive for what seems smaller parts. I mean, I was looking at Drive Belts and a lot of them are over £100!! Is that normal? Maybe I'm just out of touch nowadays! I had a Gilera 220 some years ago and it wasn't anywhere near that price for a belt!

Anyway, I'm not here to moan!
Will look into all the advice regarding the screens/windscreens. Interesting stuff regarding who makes them from @Meldrew. Thanks.

My model year is 2009.
And yes, @LooseMarbles, I might take you up on you offer, although I think our fair weather riding days might be over for this year!!

I'm off to research some parts for Damper, Shocks and Windscreen!! Wish me luck!
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 348
Registration date : 2022-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Greetings from the UK   Greetings from the UK I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 06, 2024 7:18 am

Hi Donny.

Yes, parts can get very expensive if you go main dealer route.
Ebay is your friend for most serviceable Swing parts.
Use Fowlers parts website to get the Honda part number you require then then search Ebay by part number.
Drive belts are mid £40s, Amazon belts are mid £50s.

Hope this helps.
Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down

Greetings from the UK
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Introductions-
Jump to: