Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Passenger Back rest
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:17 am

» New to the forum
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:18 am

» Gulf shores, AL
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby Mauryturnsoutitsmine99 Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:52 pm

» Searching for Honda or After Market Part
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:22 pm

» A strange howl
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
A strange howl I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

A strange howl

Go down 
+2
Erdoc48
welshman in canada
6 posters
AuthorMessage
welshman in canada
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2023-09-03

A strange howl Empty
PostSubject: A strange howl   A strange howl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2024 12:25 pm

Before  I explain my problem I'll give you a brief rundown about the scoot. I bought it in September of last year and for numerous reasons I didn't get much riding in before the Canadian winter forced me to stop. I felt it was a bit 'wobbly' and didn't seem to go where I thought it should or wanted. I figured I would adapt soon enough. Over the winter I replaced all the fluids and replaced the belt. It only had 8,500 kms on it but I figured a new belt was prudent The other thing I did was replace the tyres which were the originals. I installed Michelin City Grip 2's. The scoot is now much nicer to ride and I've been able to get a bit of mileage on it this summer
On to my issue. I'm starting to hear a howl as I'm riding. It starts around 80 km/h and continues up past 100. The noise never changes and doesn't get louder as speed increases. I'm pretty certain it's coming from the front somewhere and last weekend I started taking more notice to see if I could figure it out Firstly,it is almost certainly coming from the front. I then realised the noise comes and goes pending the surface of the pavement. It also comes and goes if I gently sway off centre. This leads me to believe it's front wheel related. The bearings are fine and the tyre runs true with no vibration. It's a bit of a mystery and perhaps it was there last year and I just didn't notice due to me getting used to riding a different type of machine. It has a stock windshield, but I feel it's lower than that. More as if it's down by the floor boards.
On a final note I should say I'm hard of hearing and wear two hearing aids. I don't wear them while riding as they get uncomfortable and the noise gets pretty bad. This leads me to believe the noise is worse than I realise given I am capable of hearing it. BTW my partner says she can't hear it.
Sorry to ramble on a bit!! Anyone have any thoughts?

Charlie
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2022-05-31

A strange howl Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange howl   A strange howl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2024 2:06 pm

Can’t say with certainty, but if you can hear it from the pavement, maybe it’s the tire or tires (a resonant hum). I recall certain brands of tires on other bikes, like the Honda ST1300 (from the forum) have resulted in a speed related hum. It’s not harmful of course, but to many they changed tires and the hum resolved. I’m not suggesting changing tires if they’re still in good condition, just something you may have to live with til the next tire change, assuming no mechanical issues otherwise.
Back to top Go down
welshman in canada
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

A strange howl Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange howl   A strange howl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2024 3:37 pm

Erdoc48 wrote:
Can’t say with certainty, but if you can hear it from the pavement, maybe it’s the tire or tires (a resonant hum). I recall certain brands of tires on other bikes, like the Honda ST1300 (from the forum) have resulted in a speed related hum. It’s not harmful of course, but to many they changed tires and the hum resolved. I’m not suggesting changing tires if they’re still in good condition, just something you may have to live with til the next tire change, assuming no mechanical issues otherwise.

The tyres are new and maybe a trait of the City Grip 2's It's installed in the correct rotation and the pressure is as per the manual.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2022-12-23

A strange howl Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange howl   A strange howl I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 06, 2024 6:13 pm

Sounds to me like a Tupperware howl.
You only notice it on a Swing at higher speeds
Have you tried temporarily blocking the top front air vent, then try to two bottom ones, then all of them.
If it was a bearing issue, the pitch would vary depending on speed
Hope this helps.
Be safe, be seen!

Ooh, just thought, the front fender has a steel, arched brace under the plastic (part no. 2)
it's glued to the fender with sticky foam. That makes a constant noise at higher speeds when the glue fails.
A good adhesive sealant will cure that, remove fender and bracket and glue back together, then re-assemble.

A strange howl Front_10
Back to top Go down
welshman in canada
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

A strange howl Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange howl   A strange howl I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2024 10:38 am

I'm thinking it must be body work as it never varies in pitch as you would expect of a bearing or tyre. I'll do a bit more investigation with the vents. The front mudguard was removed over the winter when I installed the Hyper Pro springs. Worth a look. Cheers
Back to top Go down
Carlos Veiga
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2022-04-07

A strange howl Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange howl   A strange howl I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2024 11:36 am

welshman in canada wrote:
Erdoc48 wrote:

The tyres are new and maybe a trait of the City Grip 2's  It's installed in the correct rotation and the pressure is as per the manual.

I also had this "problem" on my SW, but the "howl" came from the rear where a Michelin City Grip was running. I never cared much and it was the same, as it only happened when it turned straight, disappearing, at the slightest inclination, to the right or left. I changed the tyre to a Bridgestone Hoop, just like at the front and that "howl" just disappeared. It may be a characteristic of these tires...
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1030
Registration date : 2016-05-15

A strange howl Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange howl   A strange howl I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 07, 2024 12:16 pm

I know you said you usually don't wear your hearing aid on the bike, but if you do is the noise still there and the same? I'm asking this because hearing loss often affects only certain frequencies more than others.
The fact you says the howl comes and goes with different road surfaces makes me think it's just a characteristic of the tyre - although I would be keeping an eye on the wheel bearings in case one of them is getting on the way out.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2020-12-26

A strange howl Empty
PostSubject: Re: A strange howl   A strange howl I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

I also occasional hear a howl on my front tire, usually at higher speeds, when I tilted scooter, change directions suddenly (evasive maneuvers Mad ) or on sustained/fast leaning turns scratch I checked the normal stuff (installation/bearings/pressure), nothing. Increasing air pressure to 30-32 psi helped some, I also believed it was the cheaper Shinko tires, maybe related to thread design, but the City Grips are completely different, so scratch
Back to top Go down

A strange howl
Page 1 of 1