Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2003 ABS info on recall work
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Yesterday at 4:40 pm

» Handlebar Holder Recall
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby xwelder Yesterday at 9:12 am

» It's that time of year again.
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Wed Oct 23, 2024 3:31 pm

» Silverwing 600 Owner
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Wed Oct 23, 2024 6:47 am

» I Need Help With The Brake Bleeding
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:57 pm

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 4:35 pm

» A strange howl
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby 53Scooterguy Sun Oct 20, 2024 11:56 am

» Tip For Bleeding Brakes
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Sun Oct 20, 2024 9:58 am

» Brake/Start Switch Availability
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Sat Oct 19, 2024 7:31 am

» Passenger Back rest
2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeby Meldrew Sat Oct 19, 2024 4:36 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

2003 ABS info on recall work

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
xwelder
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2024-10-17

2003 ABS info on recall work Empty
PostSubject: 2003 ABS info on recall work   2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 2:50 am

Been searching round the forum for info. does anyone know how to check if the recall work has been done on the 2003 silverwing by previous owners ?
the online vin check says unable to retrieve data ?

thanks

edit...found this....is this the total amount of work needed ?

Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: 2003 ABS info on recall work   2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:33 am

Before I got my SW600, I only found 3 "Highway Safety" recalls https://www.arfc.org/motorcycles/honda/silver_wing/recalls.aspx

Maybe there's a different site with similar info on your area Question

The only way to really know if these safety or other non-safety recalls have been done, is to check with Honda dealer, but info on a 20ish year-old scooter may be hard to find.

One other possibility, usually parts that are replaced/upgraded for any reason, will have the new P/N, revised P/N or date of manufacture or some kind of marking/suffix denoting revision, etc. more so on safety items, it's mostly aimed at shop techs to id previous work, etc.

If you find a P/N, check against a good parts catalog, on the Honda parts catalog when a part is upgraded the old/obsolete p/n will be "Lined Out" with new p/n next to it.

Besides removing under-seat light bulb, to prevent discharging batt., SW600 are fairly bulletproof, AFAIK.
Back to top Go down
xwelder
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2003 ABS info on recall work   2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 10:48 am

zrx212 wrote:
Before I got my SW600, I only found 3 "Highway Safety" recalls https://www.arfc.org/motorcycles/honda/silver_wing/recalls.aspx

Maybe there's a different site with similar info on your area  Question

The only way to really know if these safety or other non-safety recalls have been done, is to check with Honda dealer, but info on a 20ish year-old scooter may be hard to find.

One other possibility, usually parts that are replaced/upgraded for any reason, will have the new P/N, revised P/N or date of manufacture or some kind of marking/suffix denoting revision, etc.  more so on safety items, it's mostly aimed at shop techs to id previous work, etc.

If you find a P/N, check against a good parts catalog, on the Honda parts catalog when a part is upgraded the old/obsolete p/n will be "Lined Out" with new p/n next to it.

Besides removing under-seat light bulb, to prevent discharging batt., SW600 are fairly bulletproof, AFAIK.

Thanks

so for the 2003 model i should be looking at the lower handlebar mounts ? the fuel tank & bolts become loose in the main stand ?

anyone got any info on where the tanks leaked ?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 568
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: 2003 ABS info on recall work   2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 12:28 pm

"  anyone got any info on where the tanks leaked ? "

There's several threads here on fuel tank failing/leaking,  mostly due to rust, usually neglect/sitting/moisture condensation inside, etc.  The recall is about stress cracks, literally when the scooters were new and is inspect/replace as needed, if your scooter is not leaking in 20yrs, you should be ok🤞
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 363
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: 2003 ABS info on recall work   2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:18 pm

The only rusting issues I have found on a couple of FJs 600 models including my 09 is bad corrosion on the front lower curve to the bottom of the tank, where there is a rubber curtain protecting the tank.
The curtain causes the build up of muck/ detritus between it and the tank causing aggressive surface rusting.
You will need to remove the under cover, then inspect with a light and mirror between the rubber cover and tank surface.

Hope this help
Back to top Go down
xwelder
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: 2003 ABS info on recall work   2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 1:52 pm

JohnyC wrote:
The only rusting issues I have found on a couple of FJs 600 models including my 09 is bad corrosion on the front lower curve to the bottom of the tank, where there is a rubber curtain protecting the tank.
The curtain causes the build up of muck/ detritus between it and the tank causing aggressive surface rusting.
You will need to remove the under cover, then inspect with a light and mirror between the rubber cover and tank surface.

Hope this help

thanks...will check this out
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 378
Registration date : 2022-05-31

PostSubject: Re: 2003 ABS info on recall work   2003 ABS info on recall work I_icon_minitimeYesterday at 4:40 pm

Mine is an 03 with those recalls as well (I had my tank repaired by the prior owner- he paid for it so I think he had it re-welded)- the other recalls were the handlebar clamps and the center stand bolts- I’ve checked them and all is well and I’ve been riding it for 2 years now and never had any issues. I assume the original owner had them corrected (I think I’m the 3rd or 4th owner). I ride one and don’t stress about it.

Usually with a recall, it’s a relatively small number of bikes, so it’s unlikely to be an issue. You can check those areas reasonably easily (except the tank) and if all is nice and tight, ride on.
Back to top Go down

2003 ABS info on recall work
Page 1 of 1