Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?

Go down 
+9
MikeO
KurtPerthWA
dspevack
joncallihan
bigbird
DennisB
edbancro
honda_silver
tankyuong
13 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? Empty
PostSubject: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 5:22 pm

I usually do two whencops present and the no feet balancing then floor it to regain balance
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 7:20 pm

tankyuong wrote:
I usually do two whencops present and the no feet balancing then floor it to regain balance

Most times ... no feet.
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 7:40 pm

Usually two feet, but I always feel a little off balance just before I come to a complete stop, so I've been trying to see if committing to one side and just using that foot helps.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 7:58 pm

Here in Oklahoma, they will give you a citation for not stopping if a rider does not put at lest one foot on the ground at stop signs. I always look both ways at a stop signs, #1 for on coming traffic #2 the police. The Police out in Califorina were much more strict with the traffic laws. Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? Suspect A rider really needed to watch their stops out there.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 8:22 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 9:19 pm

No feet. No need. The new Danson Trike makes feet down totally unneeded. Before the trike, usually no feet -- had a lot of experience with observed trials that I have not completely forgotten. Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? Icon_farao
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 10:22 pm

bigbird wrote:
How in the world can you STOP with no feet down?

bigbird wrote:
You can't unless you're some kind of tight rope walker.

When I was younger and rode bicycles with strapped in old style cleats, I trained myself to be able to balance and stop in place.

The SWing wider darkside tire also helps to balance easier.

If the terrain is uphill or uneven, I will put my feet down without attempting to balance. Once in a while, you may need to put both feet down even if you balance for awhile ... so it always important to prepare mentally not to delay when need. In the beginning I was a slower to put my feet down when needed a few times.

bigbird wrote:
Rolling through a STOP sign is not STOPPING.

I am not rolling through a STOP.
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 03, 2010 10:44 pm

It depends on Road Crown
(The curve built in to most roads to allow the drainage to the sides.)
If the road crown is severe putting down both feet will feel unbalanced.
So I usually put down the left foot which is farthest away from the edge
since we drive on the right side of the road in the USA.
Also I am only 5'6 so I can't flatfoot the bike unless I have very thick
soled boots on, so one foot down is much more comfortable.
I will scooch forward off my seat to put both feet down flat if I need to.

Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? Icon_cheers This post give me four Silver Stars: Touring Scooter Rider! Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? Icon_cheers
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 4:44 am

Yair, A freind of mine had a habit of rolling through stop signs when a local copper pulled him over and asked why he didn't stop. He told the copper that there was nothing coming either way so he didn't see the problem with just rolling through slowly and could not see the need to come to a stop. Next thing my mate knows he is on the ground being mercilessly beaten by the copper with a very quick baton action.

"Help help" he cried "what are you hitting me like that for?" he lamented.

The cop retorted. " So now then, would you like me to just slow down or to just stop?"
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3819
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 6:18 am

One foot; touch-and-go.

Don't know what the rules are elsewhere but in Europe vehicles must stop at the red hexagonal STOP signs.
http://www.fairschoolofmotoring.co.uk/images/road_signs/stop%20sign.gif
It is the only sign with this shape.

Elsewhere are triangular GIVE WAY signs that do not require vehicles to stop if the road is clear.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/55/UK_give_way.PNG

As there are two separate signs......!

If one fails to stop at a STOP sign during the Driving/Riding Test, one fails.
Back to top Go down
ronjr009
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ronjr009

Number of posts : 180
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 1:35 pm

2 feet down if complete stop in town. If out in the country and not much traffic, then I do one of those rolling stops and no feet of course.
Back to top Go down
crahar
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
crahar

Number of posts : 283
Registration date : 2009-08-31

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 04, 2010 2:03 pm

All depends on the place I'm stopping at, I do either a rolling stop if thats what you want too call it or put one foot down.At red lights I put both feet down so I can stretch the legs while waiting for it to turn.
Craig
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Stop   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 7:19 am

Proper is left foot out and down, right stays on foot board. Few do it.

With right foot brake on motorcycles, that means right foot remains on foot brake. Just good habit.

Scooters/bikes are designed to be ridden feet up. Want to see a bunch of people, putting both feet out, go to GoldWing or HD Rally---looks like paddling convention to me. Lack of skill and practice.

Of course extreme times both need to come out. One foot out pretty much eliminates the 2 feet paddle take off one often sees in US.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down
edbancro
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 160
Registration date : 2009-10-30

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 7:39 am

john grinsel wrote:
Proper is left foot out and down, right stays on foot board. Few do it.

With right foot brake on motorcycles, that means right foot remains on foot brake. Just good habit.

While I agree that having both brakes available is a good habit when riding a regular motorcycle (or a scooter with one foot-operated brake), that doesn't really apply here; since we have a different brake/clutch set up, a different set of riding skills and habits are needed.

For instance, on the Swing, I wouldn't want to continue the habit of pulling in [what used to be] the clutch lever every time I thought the engine RMP had reached the point where I would shift - that would cause some problems and be dangerous.

The beauty and advantage of this set up is that is gives the operator more options when responding to different road/stopping conditions (e.g., road crown, as dspevack pointed out).
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3819
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 8:52 am

Except for stopping at a STOP sign (as I said in a previous post) I always put both feet down when coming to a halt.
It's more relaxed than having to support the bike with both hands and one leg.
The weight of the bike is taken on the wheels while I provide the balance.
I can safely take one or even both hands off the bars and I feel comfortable - most important.
As for the 'triangles' business so often quoted by motorcyclists, with both feet down I make two.
Back to top Go down
ridr44
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2010-06-04

PostSubject: stopping   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 9:21 am

I find that there is always a tendency to be less than careful when riding. I try to make complete stops as a kind of way of reminding myself to take it slow, not rush, and be safe. One or two feet for me, and when I don't I try to do it next time. dan
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 06, 2010 9:36 am

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: stop   Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 11, 2010 5:07 pm

Whether big scooter or bike----basic rules are are same---scooters now have hand brakes---I believe there was legal issue in the 80's over scooters and hand brakes---thus Helix had foot brake for rear.

I prefer foot brake---not linked---as rear brake is great balancing aid in slow speed work. Do it with linked brakes and of course front comes on and it could screw you up

As to 2 feet down---fine for some conditions---but one works best. Practice. Passenger needs to be trained not to move around and should be lighter than you. One foot down, the quicker you have both feet up----scooter is designed to be ridden feet up---leg and foot input is necessary for proper control----got them out they are not helping control, they are just props.
Earlier comment by bigbird on looking thru shield----ever tried snow storm/sleet/fog/riding into sunset with buggy screen/night? Seeing where you are going and maybe going to hit super important----2 wheel different than car. Cars don't fall over. Looking over shield was law in Germany.....I don't know for sure if it if EU wide now.

I do ride with people passenger----many of my miles have been with bike/scooter loaded heavy but not over limit so extra caution required. Bike/scooter has been used for business travel in Europe/Japan/Korea/US. I don't care for cars. Moose my dog, has as passenger, has been as far as Central America/Asia/North America---Givi box with hole in top or bag in foot well of scooter. Dog presents special problem as they don't hang on to you with knees and hands around waist like a human passenger should. Their movement has to be compensated for.

Ending: to ride properly and safely----requires practice and practice.

John Grinsel
Back to top Go down

Do you stop with one,two,or no feet down at stop sign?
Page 1 of 1