Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?

Go down 
+10
joncallihan
"Hi Yo"
jdeereanton
Pendragon
RickV
thomphoto
exavid
DaveR
bigbird
tankyuong
14 posters
AuthorMessage
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? Empty
PostSubject: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 2:29 pm

Had a tank treated with sea foam and maybe winter gas and terrible 38 mpg, tank is slowly diluted with new gas and mpg slowly creeping up
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 9:47 pm

tankyuong wrote:
Had a tank treated with sea foam and maybe winter gas and terrible 38 mpg, tank is slowly diluted with new gas and mpg slowly creeping up

Good to know.
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 03, 2011 10:26 pm

I don't know if it does or not, I know I don't like the Ethanol gas that is being forced upon us. They do make an additive to help it digest but is pretty costly. Has anyone experienced the rust situation using
Ethanol? Since I have had to use this "poor fuel" my mileage has gone down to about 40 to 42 mpg. I don't like it. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Old Dave
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:53 am

I give my car, truck, and both bikes a dose of Sea Foam about twice a year. It does seem to smooth the idle of my truck and car and it definitely helped the throttle response of my old 1500 GW. The stuff does clean out a good bit of gunk from carbs and fuel injectors. I've never used it as a fuel stabilizer, I do know there have been reports on the GW forums of poor starting and low mileage when Stabil has been used as a protectant for storage, could be the same with Sea Foam. If the stuff protects the tank and keeps the fuel system clean during storage a bit of poor mileage once brought out of storage might be worth the bother.
Back to top Go down
thomphoto
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
thomphoto

Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2009-06-11

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 8:01 am

Interesting, since I just started riding a week or so ago after storing over the winter with Sea Foam, and I have noticed that the gas guage is dropping much faster than normal.
Back to top Go down
http://wendellthompsonfineart.com
RickV
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
RickV

Number of posts : 100
Registration date : 2010-11-28

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 11:32 am

Everything I store with fuel has Seafoam added - scooters and cars - and I am fortunate to have non-ethanol premium fuel available here in MN. Haven't noticed any fuel mileage decreases as such due to Seafoam but operating in cooler temps does seem to reduce mileage somewhat.

The Seafoam can states that it: "Stabliizes and conditions fuels. Use for engine storage". It also says: "Use in gas, ethanol, diesel or biodiesel". I'm not sure of any stabilizer effectiveness when used with ethanol - check out the February 2011 issue of Popular Mechanics for issues regarding ethanol and storage. I'm really glad that I have option of non-ethanol fuel for use in my scoots.

Rick V swing
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 12:05 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 1:46 pm

Yo, Big Bird, I agree with you on all points, but if I might add... I use a product called Marvel Mystery Oil, both as a cleaner-outer and as a fuel stabiliser. I NEVER use Stabil because of all of the afore-mentioned problems. You can even add it to your crankcase just before an oil change (about 50 miles) it does a great job of freeing up sticky starter clutches. BTW, if you look in your owner's manual you might notice that it says up to 10% ethanol is OK, but where I am, mid-grade fuel only contains 5%.

Pendragon
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 2:04 pm

Pendragon wrote:
Yo, Big Bird, I agree with you on all points, but if I might add... I use a product called Marvel Mystery Oil, both as a cleaner-outer and as a fuel stabiliser. I NEVER use Stabil because of all of the afore-mentioned problems.
Pendragon

Ahh, good old MMO. Some people swear by it. I've never used it. The only additive I like to put in my gasoline is several ounces of NOTHING. I find that this excellent product, NOTHING, alleviates any symptoms of poor running, poor mileage, and it even improves the vehicle's NVH characteristics. Best of all is the price of NOTHING.
I'm not trying to be foolish here, just suggesting that the ultimate fuel for any internal combustion engine is fresh gasoline. If the gasoline isn't fresh, replace it ASAP.
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 2:34 pm

Is NOTHING available in the states? I was at Wal*Mart earlier and didn't find NOTHING. Would it be in the automotive section?

rolling laughter
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 2:39 pm

I put NOTHING in my tank, and my scooter wouldn't go anywhere.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 3:22 pm

Dugglebogey, you need to read the instructions on the package. NOTHING cannot be used by itself. It must be mixed with freshly distilled gasoline in the ratio of
gas:nothing = x:1, where x is any volume of fresh gas.
Silly you!
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 3:33 pm

That was soooo enlightening, B.B. :-)

Pendragon
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 04, 2011 4:46 pm

Dang, I didn't know there was math involved. Now I don't need NOTHING.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 1:26 pm

The instructions on my NOTHING say nothing about having to add something to NOTHING. Maybe I need to get some SOMETHING and read those instructions.

My head hurts
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 4:24 pm

NOTHING's on sale at Wally World and worth every penny. May be higher in Canada.
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 4:27 pm

That's the only thing worth every penny at Wally World.
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3819
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 4:30 pm

Adding a bit of culture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3-GPNTCoMWE&feature=related

Smile
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 05, 2011 4:44 pm

Nothing is still Nothing. :flower:
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
lndlyb4
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2011-12-18

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 2:12 pm

More culture expanding on NOTHING. It's a gas, man!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_DV54ddNHE&feature=related
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 10:37 pm

FYI Sea Foam is on sale at NAPA Auto for $6.48. I think it's good for the month of April, but you should check.
Back to top Go down
KurtPerthWA
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
KurtPerthWA

Number of posts : 1710
Registration date : 2009-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 5:56 am

Hi Yo, that was only on special last Sunday morning. Check the date on the adv.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2012 5:30 pm

Sorry Kurt, I heard it on the radio. Got to get my hearing checked, Didn't hear the fine print.
Back to top Go down
AAAA
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 442
Registration date : 2010-11-14

PostSubject: Re: Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?   Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage? I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2012 11:30 am

I use it, and it does help the mileage in my truck. 158k and counting. I dont think i would use it in my oil however, unless i was doing a oil change very soon.

As For Ethanol. You CAN DE-alchohol your fuel, and you will get better mileage, its a simple process. A friend of mine takes the ethanol out of his fuel in 10 gallon batches, the difference is amazing.
Back to top Go down

Does Sea Foam Affect Mileage?
Page 1 of 1