Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear Axle Nut Cover?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

Rear Axle Nut Cover? Empty
PostSubject: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:37 am

Hi Guy's,

I just went out and measured the hole the Rear axle nut sets in and it's 2" (51.5mm) dia. This would be perfect for a dress up hole cover made of black ABS plastic or nylon. I can't aford one right now so if any one wants to try this idea and share your findings with all the members, that would be wonderful. This would give the area a more finished look.

Rear Axle Nut Cover? 2inch_10

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 12:24 pm

Just one more thing...A person could also paint the hole plug to match the color of the Honda swing arm. Easy to do.
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2387
Registration date : 2010-05-02

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 5:28 pm

Wouldn't you be concerned with trapping moisture in there if you put a cap on it?

Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 6:10 pm

No, It would not be a water tight seal. Water would get in and then it would leak out. I was thinking of, when I get some extra cash, Turning a cover out of aluminum and sealing it with 2 o-rings. Leaving the bottom open for screwdriver tip removal and water dranage or what they call in the big world of designing, a weep hole.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2010-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 8:47 pm

Another great idea from Dennis's fertile mind. I did a quick search and found a company in California that makes 2" hole covers from black nylon, in solid and vented designs: http://www.wclco.com/pdf/plastics/110-111.pdf . What I couldn't find is a price list, just a $100 minimum. Anyone out there in the LA area who could check them out?

Last edited by roadrunner on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:30 pm

Hi Bill,

There's a bunch of these companies that make these plugs. What I'll do is call them this comming week and get some engineering samles from them. There are more then happy to send out samples and I'll let you all know if any one of them has the right stuff to be mounted on our Silverwings.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:33 pm

Removed by Opalsboy

Last edited by Opalsboy on Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:21 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : removed by Opalsboy)
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 10:03 pm

My bad -- it's fixed now.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:26 pm

Just a picture of the axle nut hole area that we are checking on to find a cover for. 2" dia and 1" deep.

I just got off the phone with a very nice lady at Alliance plastics and she is sending out some samples for testing.

www.allianceplastics.com

Rear Axle Nut Cover? Rights10
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 5:25 pm

x

Last edited by bigbird on Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 38
Registration date : 2011-01-12

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 5:39 pm

In my oh, so humble opinion, I concur with the Bird; as a mechanic, anything that interferes with maintenance or creates a potential trouble situation (the nut rusting on the axle, or loosening off for some reason and not noticed because the observation point has been blinged up instead of farkled) has no place on the SWing; leave the shinola to the Goldwingers, it amuses them.
Pendragon, the prejudiced. :-)
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 7:33 pm

While our friends in the Great White North both make valid arguments against capping the axle hole, I'm all for something that will help keep muck and grit from the threads of such a critical nut. Dennis, if the Alliance cap works out, I'm interested. Farkle or not.

A special hello to Pendragon, by the way; my grandmother was from Hope, BC. which, if I'm not mistaken, isn't far from you. I was fortunate enough to make it up there a couple of times before she left the room.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:21 pm

P/N BP1146A is one of the samples I requisted. Should be interesting.

http://www.allianceplastics.com/mss/mss-pc.nsf/WebEngine?OpenAgent=yes&cmd=query&optwp=yes&optnw=yes&optpc=yes&search=bp1146a&itemdirect=y&itemdirectwildcard=y&keywordsearch=&partsearch=bp1146a&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=9

One of the other things I've been looking at is a nice water proof tube plug for the front axles open end on the right side of the scooter. Yes, that's the open end axle that is open for rain water intrusion when the scooter is on it's side stand. Is has a nice chrome plated end cap. P/N RPD465336A

http://www.allianceplastics.com/mss/mss-pc.nsf/WebEngine?OpenAgent=yes&cmd=query&optwp=yes&optnw=yes&optpc=yes&search=rdp465336a&itemdirect=y&itemdirectwildcard=y&keywordsearch=&partsearch=rdp465336a&Submit.x=10&Submit.y=11
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:25 pm

Hello, Roadrunner, I'm about 50 miles or so from Hope, but as they say, past that is beyond Hope :-) Just a thought; if a nut cover costing all of about 20 cents to produce would have contributed to the overall value and operation of the SWing, is it not reasonable to assume that Honda's engineers would have provided one?

Pendragon, the perplexed. :-) :-)
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:32 pm

Maybe so. Maybe there's just not enough profit in it for Honda. If it were OEM, it would retail for at least $9.95. Razz Honda's better than most, but they ain't perfect.

If I remember right, beyond hope is the Fraser canyon, one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen.
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:40 pm

Hello Dennis, how about a nice black rubber cork? It would do the job quite nicely, keep out the water, and keep in the grease. BTW, it would work well in salty air environments too. Once again I wonder why Honda didn't provide this feature, but then in my years in the M/C shop I haven't seen an instance of corrosion on the front axle if a modicum of grey "Never Seize or other is applied.

Pendragon the profound! :-)
Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:43 pm

Hi Roadrunner, yup, it's pretty here, but you have some outstanding rides in your country as well; I cherish them all, regards,

Pendragon

Back to top Go down
Pendragon
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Hello Dennis, how about a nice black rubber cork? It would do the job quite nicely, keep out the water, and keep in the grease. BTW, it would work well in salty air environments too. Once again I wonder why Honda didn't provide this feature, but then in my years in the M/C shop I haven't seen an instance of corrosion on the front axle if a modicum of grey "Never Seize or other is applied.

Pendragon the profound! :-)
Back to top Go down
bigbird
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 9:23 pm

Modicum.

I love that word.

Pendragon rocks!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 5:02 pm

Well, Alliance Plastics sent me three to mess with. I painted one to match the scooter' swing arm. The fit is excellent. Snug but can be removed with finger nails.

Now a few pictures. First picture is cover fit and no paint.

Rear Axle Nut Cover? Cover111

Rear Axle Nut Cover? Cover210

Rear Axle Nut Cover? Cover610

I have 2 left over, one is promised, who wants the other? You will need to pain yours or leave it natural.
Back to top Go down
roadrunner
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
roadrunner

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 6:46 pm

I'll take it if it isn't already gone!
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Rear Axle Nut Cover?   Rear Axle Nut Cover? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 7:12 pm

Bill, You got it.

I'll drop it in the mail as soon as you send a PM with your address. It will not be painted. So have fun with it.
Back to top Go down

Rear Axle Nut Cover?
Page 1 of 1