Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Today at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Today at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Silver Wing trailer hitch

Go down 
+7
regors
vmaximus
Opalsboy
MarkB
old fart
honda_silver
Guy
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Silver Wing trailer hitch Empty
PostSubject: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:00 pm

I know Dennis builds a great trailer hitch and I would like to see and probably buy one, but I would like to know more about the SW towing ability. Owners manual recommends against it. I'm looking for information from members with long term towing experience. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Guy
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2011-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 14, 2011 11:57 pm

Thanks bigbird. Insurance not a problem. I only have liability.
Back to top Go down
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 12:03 am

bigbird wrote:
If you had a crash or mishap, could your insurance company deny payment based on that info in the owner's manual?

Last I heard from my insurance company ( Progressive )so long as the frame was not modified ( DennisB hitch bolts on ) ... it would not invalidate the insurance.
Back to top Go down
old fart
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
old fart

Number of posts : 85
Registration date : 2009-02-02

PostSubject: towing   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 15, 2011 1:57 am

I just completed a 2000 mile trip towing a small tent trailer fully loaded.The better half was on board. just a little person 110 lbs. Guestimate the weight at about 250 lbs. Went through the Canadian rockies with grades up to 18%.
I could feel the scoot working but there was no problems. Average speed was approx. 60 to 70 mph.
These scoots are remarkable. I haven't found its limits yet.
IMHO go ahead and tow.
Back to top Go down
MarkB
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
MarkB

Number of posts : 90
Registration date : 2011-09-19

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 3:18 pm

Royr,

Thanks for that post. And to Honda_Silver. I also have Progressive (full coverage). I think the idea of towing a small tent trailer is an excellent one.

I'm going to ask Dennis for one of his hitches.
Back to top Go down
Opalsboy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Opalsboy

Number of posts : 1288
Registration date : 2009-01-10

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 3:49 pm

Just to throw something out... Dennis will be coming to Rison next month to investigate the mounting of a hitch to the Trinity Trike kit. If that works out, I plan on getting one myself. Early release of this information, so, keep it to yourself. This is just between you and me. Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
vmaximus
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 133
Registration date : 2011-04-15

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 18, 2011 8:11 pm

I also have a trailer hitch which i made myself,similar to Dennis's hitch.I don't find a problem towing mainly with my wife as passenger but like anything else extra care is required cornering and braking etc but you soon get used to it.My trailer is approx 57 kg unlaiden and is used regulary to travel from home to the coast some 80 odd miles laiden with camping gear and get over 54 mpg travelling at the British speed limit.I once did 305 miles in one day and yes you can feel the differance accelerating and pulling uphill but the scoot just takes it in it's stride.On more than one occasion i have averaged between 59-61 mpg.I have 2008 A7 S/Wing and am more than happy with it's performance.If you want to try towing my advice would be give it a go,start off steady,get used to it,drive within your limitations, and enjoy.(I do).
Back to top Go down
regors
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
regors

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 24, 2012 11:35 pm

Hey Dennis, are you still willing to sell one of your hitches.
If so I would like to purchase one Please advise on price and shipping cost to Vernon,BC V1H 1G3

Thanks In Advance _-_-_ Roger
Back to top Go down
kbcmdba
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
kbcmdba

Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2011-05-05

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:21 am

regors wrote:
Hey Dennis, are you still willing to sell one of your hitches.
If so I would like to purchase one Please advise on price and shipping cost to

FYI, you're often best so send Dennis a private message to guarantee a response.
Back to top Go down
http://kbcmdba.blogspot.com/
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 11:55 am

I have about 75,000 miles trailer towing experience Kawasaki Voyager/Honda Nighthawk 750(pretty good towed Kwik Kamp to Alaska) Kawasaki Concours(not good with trailer)----towing not best idea in world, can be dangerous-----Now Silverwing, I think might be fine with UNIGO/proper hitch....try to keep in mind bike wasn't designed for this---Passenger/rider weight/trailer hitch weight does not exceed Honda designed in limits----more than carry...think stopping,too.

I think with SilverWing shorter drive belt life, too. So I find one wheel trailer interesting----two wheel not so good----try dropping trailer wheel off pavement in curve for ex.----more than thrill.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 25, 2012 1:47 pm

Hi Guys,

Summer is almost over cheers When it gets to be a little more cooler...Then purchase a hitch. I'll be more then happy to make one for you then. sunny

I'll check on the shipping to Canada.
Back to top Go down
regors
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
regors

Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2009-02-15

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 8:00 pm

Dennis, I managed to get my trailer hitch back from the Insurance company so I won't need you to make me one. Sorry about jumping the gun on you.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 01, 2012 9:35 pm

OK...That's good news. cheers
Back to top Go down
primerib
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 9:23 pm

DennisB, are you still making hitches? (I tried to PM you but I "haven't reached the post limit". lol
Back to top Go down
primerib
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-07-10

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitimeFri Feb 03, 2017 9:30 pm

nevermind, just read that Dennis closed his shop.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Silver Wing trailer hitch   Silver Wing trailer hitch I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Silver Wing trailer hitch
Page 1 of 1