Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
First Impressions I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

First Impressions

Go down 
+5
ailixhomes
JeffR_
Waspie
john grinsel
steveR
9 posters
AuthorMessage
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 2:04 pm

Integra impressions.

Well, I finally managed to get a test ride on an Integra today, I had to travel 80 miles for it, but as I was taking my daughter back to Uni as well, I killed 2 birds with one stone! Happily, it was a bright, sunny day, chilly with a strong breeze. The Red machine I rode looks nice and feels well put together, as Honda's should Wink

First thoughts on seeing the bike for the first time was how compact and dinky it is, no hassle whatsoever slinging my right leg over and plonking myself down on the ... “Geez, that’s hard”, seat! Happily it seemed Ok after 40mins  All the controls as they say, came easily to hand apart from the stupid horn and indicator combination, with a massive switch for the horn above the indicator switch that is tucked away underneath. Not good until you have used the bike for quite a few miles I would suggest...

Firing the bike up and straight away a surprise as the engine felt more V-twin like than I thought it could, in spite of all the stuff in the brochures about the crank layout etc, and pulling away after I sorted out the drive switch it felt a lot like my old Transalp! Nice. It pulled away with a nice throbbing motion and straight away the DCT was saving fuel..... 20mph and I was in 4th!

For the first few miles, I left the bike in “Drive” auto and let the bike do the work while I sorted out how the bike felt and what have you. Urban use and you would slap in in auto and leave it there all day, until you started “stop’n go” and then “sports” mode was useful as it meant a better getaway in the traffic lights grand prix. Once I got the feel of the bike, I left the bike in drive on auto and used the DCT manual switch to drop a gear when needed for acceleration and latterly, for dropping into a bend or an overtake.

Ride was OK, nothing to set the world alight on the short ride I had, and I can see why some have criticised Honda’s budget suspension,but nothing new there, but the front end can be easily sorted, the back... again can be sorted, but after spending £7500, should you have to?? I would question that the bike would tour 2-up with luggage without some work too. I only did very modest bend swinging, but it was enough to tell me that it knocks spots off the Swing, suspension is better and those big wheels win out...

Performance was fine, not a sports bike, but that wasn’t what I wanted, enough low end power to pull away strongly and 80 was easily reached on the M’way I found, where it was stable and well planted. The protection was disappointing from the screen and I suspect most will go for a Givi aftermarket screen with “wings” to keep wind and rain off their mitts PDQ. The fairing lowers will disappoint any scooter rider as they really need the deflectors to keep the legs out of the wind blast.

The big killer to my placing my expected order down on my return from the ride was the ergonomics of the bike. I am 6ft and there is simply not enough room downstairs for my 31” legs, and size 10 feet! My knees knock the rear of the fairing and the footrest at the front is way too small to put your foot on in a proper “feet first” manner. So your feet are pretty well constrained in the same way as a footpeg, possibly OK for a motorcyclist, but any scooter rider will laugh at it  Try tucking your feet to the back of the foorboard, and your knees are chattering against the plastics!

‘I think the Integra will suit a shorter rider, say 5’8” and as I said to my SO on my return, if she passed her test and wanted a first proper tourer, it would be about perfect. For me, not a hope.

Personally,I think Honda have cocked up and missed a chance with the Integra. Anyone moving from a Burgman or Silverwing will find far too many compromises as will bikers looking for a commuter type machine. I wanted the positive areas of a compromise that the Integra seemed to offer, but it wasn’t to be. Put the engine/gearbox technology which is superb, into a better form factor, maybe I will look again.

Thanks to Hunts of Manchester for the ride out and hospitality on their Open Day.

Last edited by steveR on Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 4:40 pm

Sad the weather protection is not there. Probably won't show up on US market anyway. One advantage of scooters has always been dry feet for daily riders.

I buy at least one new bike/scooter each year, because I can and it is fun. Right now SillverWing/Burgman ring my chimes, if Vespa had good national dealer network and parts service in N America a new 4 stroke might be fun.
Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 5:50 pm

Thanks for the review Steve, although the Integra has never been on a wish list of mine your comments have confirmed my initial thoughts on ergonomics. The weather protection too looks mighty disappointing. Smile
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 6:27 pm

Waspie wrote:
Thanks for the review Steve, although the Integra has never been on a wish list of mine your comments have confirmed my initial thoughts on ergonomics. The weather protection too looks mighty disappointing. Smile

The weather protection aspects could be sorted easily enough Doug, albeit for a few quid, but the "sizing" of the bike escapes me to be quite honest. Who is the Integra for??

As the evening has gone on, I am realising that I am desperately disappointed with with the reality of the Integra, and I really, really wanted it to be right for me... Sad

I guess I am too old and cynical now to be taken in by glossy plastic and pretty girls. well pretty girls still do it ... Smile

Last edited by steveR on Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 15, 2012 6:31 pm

john grinsel wrote:
Sad the weather protection is not there. Probably won't show up on US market anyway. One advantage of scooters has always been dry feet for daily riders.

I buy at least one new bike/scooter each year, because I can and it is fun. Right now SillverWing/Burgman ring my chimes, if Vespa had good national dealer network and parts service in N America a new 4 stroke might be fun.

I cannot see why it would show up either as it is not a machine for the US, I suspect from my conversations here....

Handling wise, I reckon it'll knock any maxiscoot into the weeds including the T-Max, with a corresponding shot of FUN. I think if the rider will fit the Integra, they will be delighted with their purchase
Back to top Go down
JeffR_
Site Admin
JeffR_

Number of posts : 1103
Registration date : 2010-05-12

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 7:10 pm

Steve,

Thanks for the nice write up. I was hoping it would have at least as much room as the SWing but knew it would have less storage and looked a lot thinner. But it almost sounds like it is the size of the Reflex (U.S.) or Forza I think in Europe and Japan.

I will try the NX700c , MC, version of this bike and see how it fits. I hear others really like it and it gets great mpg's.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 17, 2012 3:39 am

JeffR_ wrote:
Steve,

Thanks for the nice write up. I was hoping it would have at least as much room as the SWing but knew it would have less storage and looked a lot thinner. But it almost sounds like it is the size of the Reflex (U.S.) or Forza I think in Europe and Japan.

I will try the NX700c , MC, version of this bike and see how it fits. I hear others really like it and it gets great mpg's.

I joined the UK NC700 forum and as you say, reports back on the 700x are pretty positive. I found it small though when I sat on it, but I am used to trail bikes being...bigger.

Also, the Integra is very slim after the Swing!! No bad thing at all and the ride really was nice, if only it was bigger or more sensibly, they had thought more about the front fairing which is for me, the cause of the problems i (and any other person over 5'8 will have with the bike.
Back to top Go down
ailixhomes
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-05-15

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeTue May 15, 2012 5:35 pm

I am totally agree with you that First Impressions are creates a good impact on the mindset of customers. It is very necessary for every customers to have a likeness at first time seen towards all types of bikes.
Back to top Go down
Chinasaur
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 74
Registration date : 2010-08-26

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 03, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks for the review! Before I did 1,700mi last year and didn't know the SW was a good tourer; this bike would have appealed to me. But now you have killed my interest (good thing) by saying it is not for taller riders. I'm 6'3" and the SW pushes my tolerance for cramped.

Still..if it were an 800...I'd still be interested :D Maybe the Aprilia Smile

Thanks again Smile
Back to top Go down
marco
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 91
Registration date : 2010-07-21

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 5:22 pm

I had a test ride 2 weeks ago on an integra and I also was quite dissapointed, the gearbox although very clever, just got on my nerves, all you really need is auto mode, I found the different modes just too fiddly . its not as comfy as the s/wing, not as much weather protection as the s/wing, nowhere as much luggage capacity as the s/wing, chain drive, not a step through so you have to cock your leg over like a motorbike, not as easy to clean as the s/wing, the rear shock is left wide open to muck spinning off the back wheel while the exhaust downpipe will get showered by the front wheel.Its also 1000 pounds more than the s/wing.
The MPG figures on the integra are impressive but thats the only plus in my book, thats why I bought a new silverwing, and I know I wont regret it.
Back to top Go down
rollsroyce250
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 73
Registration date : 2012-06-21

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 6:41 pm

marco wrote:
Its also 1000 pounds more than the s/wing.

I hope it has a car engine then.
Back to top Go down

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 5:48 pm

Indeed it does. It basically has a Honda Fit engine, snapped in half.
Back to top Go down
Atrick
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Atrick

Number of posts : 198
Registration date : 2012-09-04

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 4:00 am

My local Honda dealer told me that recently two people had come in, independently, thinking about buying an Integra and both being unimpressed, ended up buying Silver Wings No

Smile I was the third...!! Smile
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

First Impressions Empty
PostSubject: Re: First Impressions   First Impressions I_icon_minitimeFri May 10, 2013 3:17 pm

Atrick wrote:
My local Honda dealer told me that recently two people had come in, independently, thinking about buying an Integra and both being unimpressed, ended up buying Silver Wings No

Smile I was the third...!! Smile

I think I have seen one Integra in the wild since the launch, so I would be VERY interested to hear what the sales figures have been like in Europe??

The NC700x on the other hand is a real success, lots about and some very happy owners too, both DCT and manual box.
Back to top Go down

First Impressions
Page 1 of 1