Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Question about tupperware material

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2012-08-19

Question about tupperware material Empty
PostSubject: Question about tupperware material   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 15, 2012 9:09 pm

I've been researching on what the cheapest way to fix my bike is. You see, some of the tabs on my front cover are broken making the tupperware stick out and rattle in the wind. I've seen videos of "plastic welding", ABS cement fixes, and even tried ABS solvent to bind the plastic. The problem is (or so I think it is) that the tupperware is NOT made of ABS plastic, and I can't seem to find out what type it is, exactly, and what I can do to melt it using solvent.

Anyone know what type of plastic it uses?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3819
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Question about tupperware material   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 5:12 am

Back to top Go down
Waspie
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Waspie

Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2009-07-26

PostSubject: Re: Question about tupperware material   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 3:50 pm

Had an idea.

Maybe members could get Forum Credits or extra points for assisting in searches, making it easy for folk unfamiliar with the site!!!! Idea
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Waspie41
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Repairs   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 7:40 pm

A few months ago I used ABS cement and the tape (as recommended on this forum)and repaired 4 or 5 tabs and made 2 using a die grinder to shape new ones and they almost perfect. When I reasembled the front tupperware it was like new. Not a big deal, if you are at all inclined. cheers
Back to top Go down
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Question about tupperware material   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 16, 2012 10:57 pm

What type of tape is recommended?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3819
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Question about tupperware material   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 5:05 am

Possibly this: fiberglass drywall joint tape.
I followed the link Dennis posted in the thread I posted the link to. Wink

More points for me, Doug?
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Tape   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 8:09 am

I used something called FibaTape. Self-Adhesive wall repair tape used for cracks,holes ore drywall joints.
If you don't have a die grinder or Dremmel tool you could use a flat piece of wood with sand paper on it in order to get the shape you need.I put on a small amount of ABS and then put on the tape using my fingers. That was a mistake because the black glue also sticks to your fingers very will.
Using gloves would have been a better idea.
Back to top Go down
rcarrillojr
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Question about tupperware material   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 1:10 pm

I have abs solvent, abs cement , a dremmel tool with multiple tips, and a soldering iron. The abs solvent melted some scrap abs plastic I bought from a plastic shop, but did nothing to the tupperware or plastics ties I bought, so I'm guessing the bike uses a different type of plastic?
Back to top Go down
Dimond
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Dimond

Number of posts : 540
Registration date : 2011-08-07

PostSubject: Re: Question about tupperware material   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 8:05 pm

I once had a big crack on my side panel on another SWing that I repaired with: acetone to get the parts to initially stick together, fiberglass tape & ABS pipe cement on the back, ABS pipe cement on the front, body putty on the front, lots of sanding with wet/dry and sanding block, SEM plastic paint primer, auto metal lacquer paint, and clearcoat.

When I was all done I had spent about $100 on supplies (had a lot left over though) and it looked very very amateurishness and I was sorely disappointed - especially as I had spent the better part of 2 days doing it.

Some of my lessons-learned:
1. The acetone did a very poor job of 'melting' the abs together;
2. The abs cement on the outside did not 'feather' well - so I needed body putty;
3. The part was very strong on the back but since the 'crack' was not welded together it flexed - resulting in being able to see the crack through the paint as the paint over the crack flexed - next time I would try to heat the crack with a soldering gun/iron to melt the abs together - if there is a next time;
4. I need to get some power tools for ease in sanding/shaping - too much work by hand;
5. The painting via the aerosol can did not come out that well - maybe I would need compressed air spray painting equipment.

Since my panel was only $200 new - and it would have come pre-painted - then I am going to be inclined to buy a new panel. If I had to do a whole bike (e.g., restoration) then I may revisit this - but I clearly have much to learn about bodywork/painting.
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: Question about tupperware material   Question about tupperware material I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 17, 2012 10:44 pm

Well just call me dumb. I just did what was recommended on the forum some place and it worked, so follow the force Luke! Ha Ha.
As for the painting with the spray can, if you follow the steps correctelly as indicated on the website.,http://www.colorrite.com/ it will give you a great finish. And you will learn much on your journey to maintaining your loved one.Master
Back to top Go down

Question about tupperware material
Page 1 of 1