Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Whine/screech from rear of scooter

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
sw2009
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2009-08-25

Whine/screech from rear of scooter Empty
PostSubject: Whine/screech from rear of scooter   Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 5:48 pm

When riding my 2009 Silverwing a definite whine/screech stats at about 37 mph and becomes louder through 45 to 50 miles per hour and then tends to decrease at higher speeds.

One service manager stated that this is a final drive noise and is partial to some Silverwings. Anothe service manager told me that all Silverwings/scooters make this noise and is a belt noise.

This noise began at twenty miles and has continued to the current 1,000 miles I've put on the scooter.

This screech is really irritating when riding with a half helmet.

Anyone have any thoughts on this or similar experiences?

Jim
Back to top Go down
tankyuong
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
tankyuong

Number of posts : 475
Registration date : 2009-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Whine/screech from rear of scooter   Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2009 11:14 pm

Does not sound normal
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: noise   Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 2:01 am

hi i had this and it really worried me until i was told to try this hold the rear break on full rev the bike for a couple of seconds to 400 rpm it will smell like burnt rubber but the clutch is glassed over and needs to be smooth out
Back to top Go down
jdeereanton
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
jdeereanton

Number of posts : 1995
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: Whine/screech from rear of scooter   Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 4:50 am

sw2009,

Welcome to the forum.

It does seem as though you may be experiencing a common problem. This is generally understood to be a slipping belt on either the surface of the variator or clutch.

The single easiest way to isolate - is to use the throttle. By that I mean evaluate your riding style, if you are someone who accelerates slowly (from a stop) then you may experience this more often. Try a few take offs with gusto and listen for the noise - if it does not present itself you may be on the road to a solution.
Back to top Go down
http://kimdaleanton.wordpress.com

PostSubject: screech   Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2009 9:50 am

I have just had my rear drive seal replaced. Before this there was no screech. Now around 90 to 110 kmh there is a very annoying whine. It is different to the clutch noise which I agree can be rectified by reving up with the brakes on for a few seconds.
I don't think the Honda mechanic knows how to put Silverwings back together properly. The first time he replaced the seal it pissed out oil after only 500km. This time it is holding but the noise from the drive is terrible. I shall have to live with it and hope it beds in.

Cheers
Gordon
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Whine/screech from rear of scooter   Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 1:50 am

You might want to check your final drivce oil to see if that helps. It doesn't sound right and I really haven't heard of this happening on the Silver Wing. There is a Pictorial on this site on how to change the Final Drive Oil. You may want to try this since it is only 10oz of oil, and should only take about 10 mins if you have the right kind of oil can. IMHO.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com

PostSubject: Re: Whine/screech from rear of scooter   Whine/screech from rear of scooter I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 27, 2009 9:39 am

Thanks Jeffr, I have been doing my own servicing since after the first service. I have the Honda service manual and in my passed life I was a motor mechanic.
The oil levels have always been kept as they should be.
The noise makes me "feel" they have not put it back together as it should be.
I am hoping it stays together and doesn't leak again.
I should get the chance to do a 1000km run next week to try it out.

Cheers

Gordon
Back to top Go down

Whine/screech from rear of scooter
Page 1 of 1