Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Passenger Back rest
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 7:02 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 7:17 am

» New to the forum
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:18 am

» Gulf shores, AL
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby Mauryturnsoutitsmine99 Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:52 pm

» Searching for Honda or After Market Part
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:22 pm

» A strange howl
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Just Noticed

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1019
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 3:21 am

Was reading "mad-rshn's" posts about "sliders" and "easyrider" posted some RPM readings that had to do with his own sliders.  Made me remember that I had committed a couple readings to memory just this evening.  I had just been out this evening for a short joy ride of about forty miles and tried to see what I was getting at 50 and 60 mph.  First time I'd done that with the darkside tire installed.  As I checked my previous readings that I had recorded in my manual, I was very surprised to see that the before and after readings were basically the same; ie, 50 mph = 4000 rpm's...  60 mph = 4750 (more or less)... 70 mph = 5500.
I honestly thought they should have been lower than before... but then, that's what I get for thinking.  Anyway just some more fodder for discussion.

Last edited by DickO on Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Cosmic_Jumper
Site Admin
Cosmic_Jumper

Number of posts : 4416
Registration date : 2009-06-12

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 7:54 am

Dick, I think that those Darkside RPMs would be dependent on which Darkside tire you were using. Different brand tires have different circumferences, and the ultimate diameter of the tire is what will effect the RPM/MPH reading.

When I was using a Sumitomo tire along with 28gm Sliders my RPMs per MPH were ~500 lower. Sorry I  no longer have records of the ultimate diameter of that Sumitomo as mounted on the rim.

Hmm...But I was also using a Dr Pulley HiT Clutch too...

Tim
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 140
Registration date : 2015-11-14

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 3:54 pm

Isn't the speed sensor on the rear wheel? If so, doesn't matter what size the tire is, the indicated speed on the speedometer vs RPM won't change. Of course your actual speed with change but you'd needs a GPS reading to get the actual MPH.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1013
Registration date : 2015-12-18

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 4:24 pm

hankster wrote:
Isn't the speed sensor on the rear wheel? If so, doesn't matter what size the tire is, the indicated speed on the speedometer vs RPM won't change. Of course your actual speed with change but you'd needs a GPS reading to get the actual MPH.

I'm thinking that with a larger diameter tire, your speedometer would be reading slower. Many forum members have reported that their speedometer reads truer to their GPS after going DS.
Back to top Go down
DickO
Founding Member
DickO

Number of posts : 1019
Registration date : 2008-12-23

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 4:36 pm

Well, "Easyrider", that was my thought process too... but I double checked today and included the 70 mph comparison (=5500) too and it still panned out as all being the same. Normally, I'd say it was bad note taking on my part but remember that I went to all the trouble of taking along a pen and paper and stopping to notate after each reading (the first time thru). Maybe I've got a "freaky" machine and it was reading accurately with the old MS tire ????
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 8:04 pm

Easyrider wrote:
hankster wrote:

I'm thinking that with a larger diameter tire, your speedometer would be reading slower. Many forum members have reported that their speedometer reads truer to their GPS after going DS.

It will read closer to GPS since it is a bigger tire. The built-in speedometer measures rear wheel RPM and we know that the stock speedometer reads low. As an example, your speedometer reads 60 MPH @ 4500 RPM but the GPS will tell you your actual speed is 55 MPH.

Since you put on a bigger tire, you now travel further in each tire revolution bringing it closer to true GPS speed. Now when your speedometer reads 60 MPH it will be the same 4500 RPM since the speedometer is tied to the rear wheel rotation but you will be actually going faster, maybe 58 per GPS.

It's the same as if you put larger tires on a truck, the actual speed is faster relative to the speedometer.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 10:38 pm

Hankster,
I believe that we are saying the same thing. LOL...
Back to top Go down
hankster
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 14, 2016 11:21 pm

Easyrider wrote:
Hankster,
I believe that we are saying the same thing. LOL...

Sorry, I didn't see that anyone was using a GPS to measure their speed.
Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 16, 2016 5:26 am

Yes, going DS usually corrects the 5MPH speedometer error to closer match the GPS.
Back to top Go down
bandito2
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 181
Registration date : 2010-04-04

Just Noticed Empty
PostSubject: Re: Just Noticed   Just Noticed I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 08, 2016 12:00 pm

Been a while since I've been back here in the Darkside section. Anyway, with a larger diameter tire, the speedometer has typically been more in line with a GPS reading. However, the odometer on the bike will read lower than actual.

Using a stock scooter tire will give a closer to actual odometer reading along with the optimistic speedometer reading; with a larger diameter tire, the bike's speedomer will be more accurate, but the odometer will be off by a few %. The amount depends on how much taller the car tire is than a standard scooter tire.
Back to top Go down

Just Noticed
Page 1 of 1