Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 12:39 am

» noise under load
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 12:04 am

» Hello from Illinois!
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 8:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Wed May 15, 2024 5:57 am

» LF extended back rest
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Tue May 14, 2024 1:57 am

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 6:53 pm

» checking the oil
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 4:11 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Sat May 11, 2024 1:57 am

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 11:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 2:11 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Not a scooter but...

Go down 
+7
Lost it
GoonerKev
steveR
andyman
Seadog
Flyingpanman
Crustycrutch
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

Not a scooter but... Empty
PostSubject: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 3:37 pm

My landlord asked me to service his Pan European and as I have some free time he dropped it round early this morning. It's a 1992 bike with 129,000 miles on the clock. While it was up on the lift I gave it a good look over and I've got to say for such an old bike, it's in great shape.

I changed the engine oil, oil filter, air filter and final drive oil. Tomorrow I'm going to pop in a new timing belt, check the valve clearances and do a compression test more out of interest than anything else. It is sewing machine smooth so I don't expect any issues. If my Silverwing lasts as well as this bike, I'm well happy.
Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 4:10 pm

That's a coincidence, I've just put a video up featuring work I did on my ST1100. Some of the pics may be of interest to you...

Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 5:57 pm

Very entertaining and professional looking!
Back to top Go down
Seadog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-03-25

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 16, 2016 10:23 pm

Crustycrutch wrote:
It's a 1992 bike with 129,000 miles on the clock. While it was up on the lift I gave it a good look over and I've got to say for such an old bike, it's in great shape. . . .

If my Silverwing lasts as well as this bike, I'm well happy.

Being a Pan (aka ST) owner (as well as Silverwing), I have taken an interest in such things. I'd been aware of someone rebuilding their motor at 345,000 miles, which i thought was impressive, but I recently noticed a post on the ST forum about an owner having to do some work on his motor at 420,000 miles. He said until some issue at 380,000 miles he had never done anything to the motor apart from routine maintenace, and even at 420,000 miles had still not had the head of the motor.

Your Silverwing has a way to go yet!

Back to top Go down
Flyingpanman
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Flyingpanman

Number of posts : 237
Registration date : 2016-06-03

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 12:28 am

The funny thing is, I wasn't bothered by high mileage Silverwings when I was looking to buy one. However, I ended up with a nice 7,000 miler!

I feel I'm getting used to the Silverwing so I think my ST1100 will be up for sale soon. That's when people will try and knock me down on the price, "Well - it is a rather high mileage, old chap".

The ST1100 breaker in Chorley told me he regularly scraps stockpiles of perfectly good ST1100 engines because nobody buys them off him - they just don't break down! He sells good ones for around £200... so if mine had needed one, I'd have put one in!
Back to top Go down
andyman
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 67
Registration date : 2009-10-29

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 17, 2016 2:55 am

When I first got my wing and was looking for parts I picked up a spare engine for $250. Figured it'd come in handy since I planned on keeping the scoot forever. Now close to 50k and never had a lick of problems out of the original engine other than a stator and a stripped drain plug which both have been robbed off of the engine in the closet.
Back to top Go down
steveR
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
steveR

Number of posts : 218
Registration date : 2011-03-23

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 3:41 pm

Seadog wrote:
Crustycrutch wrote:
It's a 1992 bike with 129,000 miles on the clock. While it was up on the lift I gave it a good look over and I've got to say for such an old bike, it's in great shape. . . .

If my Silverwing lasts as well as this bike, I'm well happy.

Being a Pan (aka ST) owner (as well as Silverwing), I have taken an interest in such things.  I'd been aware of someone rebuilding their motor at 345,000 miles, which i thought was impressive, but I recently noticed a post on the ST forum about an owner having to do some work on his motor at 420,000 miles.  He said until some issue at 380,000 miles he had never done anything to the motor apart from routine maintenace, and even at 420,000 miles had still not had the head of the motor.

Your Silverwing has a way to go yet!

That is an impressive mileage for anything this side of a truck or ship...  Smile

I have heard of Transalps and Varaderos cracking 125K with nowt but some good maintenance and probably a rectifier or so, and thought that was good... ;-)
Back to top Go down
GoonerKev
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
GoonerKev

Number of posts : 409
Registration date : 2019-04-10

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 6:17 pm

Great video, I will show my mate as he has a Pan thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Lost it
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 136
Registration date : 2019-05-13

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 7:54 pm

I had a Pan ST1100 once, ex Police I think, it had traction control and CBS and ABS and went like a train. So easy to ride, it felt weightless, and pulling into a garage and putting (IIRC) about 6 gallons of fuel in it was a novelty. Didn't feel that weighless when pushing it around, but the balance was just there. It ran an 18" front wheel which was a novelty too. And the rear wheel was a bit of a job to do unless you knew the tricks.

The only reason I didn't stay with it was I kept grounding the fairing out, obviously I'm the kind of rider that makes bikes lean and I was slowly pushing my luck with it. But it was one of those effortless bikes, you just slouched behind the screen and let the miles go by.

Never ever had the engine apart, did have to change the exhaust though, that fell apart at 260,000 miles.
I often wonder if it's still out there. I'll see if I can find the old photo's out because I can't recall the reg number. Just spoke to my wife about it, I've had my black VFR Vtec since 2007, and I had a 2002 Vtec before that so it was some years ago.
Back to top Go down
AldusFran
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 204
Registration date : 2015-06-14

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2019 9:28 pm

The ST1100 is one of Honda's best bike ever made. If it wasn't for the weight I would have gotten one instead of my present Silverwing.
Back to top Go down
danialmicheal679
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-07-12

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 13, 2021 8:16 am

To be honest, I have no experience with electric scooters. But I would just take a petrol scooter.
It might be nice to drive such an electric, and quiet too. But they are still considerable distances that you cover every day. Such a battery will degrade over time. And if something goes wrong with it, higher repair costs may be incurred. If it were all this great, there would be many more electric scooters driving around.

Last edited by danialmicheal679 on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Dogrich
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2021-07-06

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2021 2:07 am

Great video and bike!
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 14, 2021 10:05 am

I have had three pans one thing to be wary of on the early bikes is the swing arm rotting through
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Not a scooter but...   Not a scooter but... I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Not a scooter but...
Page 1 of 1