Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Passenger Back rest
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 7:02 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 7:17 am

» New to the forum
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:18 am

» Gulf shores, AL
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby Mauryturnsoutitsmine99 Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:52 pm

» Searching for Honda or After Market Part
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:22 pm

» A strange howl
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Chalk one up for Swingers

Go down 
+10
JeffR
Modernman1953
The Scootist
tinman
steve_h80
Davefirestorm
Meldrew
"Hi Yo"
MikeO
Crustycrutch
14 posters
AuthorMessage
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

Chalk one up for Swingers Empty
PostSubject: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 1:44 pm

On my daily commute home today, an idiot van driver ejected a cold takeout cup of coffee which got caught in the slipstream and hit my screen at 55mph. Trust me, it made a hell of a bang and scared the bejeesus out of me as well asgiving me a soaking. I had to stop pretty quickly. 
As luck would have it the car behind me was an unmarked police car cheers ! The officers stopped, quickly checked I was okay then steamed off in chase. A mile or so down the road they had him pulled over so I stopped to give my details. The driver was 'encouraged' to apologise and then nicked. In the meantime his employer was contacted and promptly offered to pay any repair and cleaning costs.
Someone was looking down on me!
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3830
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 1:53 pm

A very satisfactory result!
Glad you weren't damaged.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Chalk one up for Swingers 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 2:07 pm

cheers cheers cheers Glad you are okay.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4211
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 2:15 pm

Makes me wonder what gets discarded from all these Silver Wings fitted with cup holders!
Back to top Go down
Crustycrutch
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2016-01-07

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 2:19 pm

One thing it made me realise is just how much slower my reactions are nowadays. Never even got a chance to avoid it before it hit. Mind you it could have been worse. Now, I'm off down the pub to watch the football - Germany I think Laughing
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 3:00 pm

Yes,ones reactions do slow down a bit as we age.Ignorant car drivers flicking cigarette ash/ends out of their windows is my pet hate (well one lol).I'm stuck at home listening to paint dry,don't watch football,or tennis:lol:
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1030
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 3:05 pm

glad to hear it turned out right anyway crusty :-)
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 4:14 pm

Throwing coffee cups out the the car window must be a global thing,like cell phone talk and driving.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 5:51 pm

Very glad that you weren't injured. Discarding anything out the window while driving is illegal, not to mention so utterly lame. I hope the offender was cited. He may have apologized, but he is still an idiot. Hard to fix stupid.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 6:38 pm

Glad you didn't get hurt and it turned out well for you.

Meldrew,

My coffee cup is a $25 insulated cup.  I won't be throwing that away.  Oh, and it keeps my coffee hot or my drink cold for 90+ minutes.  

Yea, I am one of those that has a cup holder on every motorcycle I own.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2600
Registration date : 2008-12-19

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 8:42 pm

Glad you are ok and it is good a police car was behind you.

Also, what do you say we all pitch in and buy Meldrew a "Big Gulp Holder"?
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 07, 2016 11:42 pm

I also have had a cup holder on most of my bikes now that I'm living in the South 48. Never lost a cup out of it either. Nice thing to have when riding in 100F weather. I think the 'Medford Rifle and Pistol Club' sticker on the back of my top box plus the NRA badges front and rear get a wee bit of respect.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 1:35 am

The question has never been answered how you drink out of a cup on the move wearing a full face or any type of helmet. Even if you could, it's still requires more concentration than a car driver reaching for his cup to taking a casual sip.

Then there's you plugging those Medford Rifle and Pistol Club, and NRA stickers again as a sort of visual threat to other road users on a topic about inconsiderate drivers throwing trash from cars. In view of the current spate of US shootings.... Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 2:10 am

Well, I just raise my modular helmet up and grab my coffee cup and take a drink.  All with the left hand.  

I do have to spit out my gum, so those people behind me are affected by this action.  After all, I can't chew gum, ride a scooter and drink coffee at the same time.  

Some people suffer from "contempt prior to investigation."    

I see coffee cup holders on all kinds of motorcycles.  I didn't invent them or in the business of selling them.  I just use them, every day, I might add.  

In the morning it is hot coffee and in the afternoon it is free ice water from the gas station drink / soda fountain.  I have never been denied free ice water.  I always ask first.

Oh, and when I have my own cup at the coffee display, I am often told "free coffee with gas purchase" or .99

Here is mine on my Goldwing.  It is the chrome ring on the right hand side of the bars.   Chalk one up for Swingers IMG_0559_zpsn05ul3gu
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 2:41 am

Meldrew wrote:
The question has never been answered how you drink out of a cup on the move wearing a full face or any type of helmet. Even if you could, it's still requires more concentration than a car driver reaching for his cup to taking a casual sip.

Then there's you plugging those Medford Rifle and Pistol Club, and NRA stickers again as a sort of visual threat to other road users on a topic about inconsiderate drivers throwing trash from cars. In view of the current spate of US shootings.... Evil or Very Mad

Sorry to offend your sensibilities Meldrew. In these ex-colonies mody people would have taken my remarks as a joke. But then I forget even for our friends east of the pond your humor is somewhat obtuse. I will attempt to avoid repeating such in the future. I will try to avoid mention of BMW scooters as well. I've been trying to stomach tea with milk in it to help understand your culture but so far can't manage that. So lighten up old chap, I don't intend to get your knickers in a knot. Please accept my abject, groveling and sniveling apology for offending your sense of correct behavior.

Oh, BTW, simple, you use a straw and a covered cup.
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 4:36 am

In the UK we usually stop when we want a drink or food. We don't have the vast distances you have between places, therefore no need for cup holders. By the way the expression is "getting your knickers in a twist" .
Back to top Go down
Davefirestorm
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Davefirestorm

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2016-05-29

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 4:59 am

Agree with Old Limey regarding riding distances/styles in UK,50 miles is far enough for me these days.Going on a 270 mile trip down Cornwall next week planning to ride 106 miles before stopping,that's proper long distance for me lol
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 5:15 am

I quite understand the need to keep hydrated in hot weather and as Old Limey says it's easy enough to stop and have a drink. On such occasions I'll have an insulated drinks bottle in the top box, or I'll wear my Camelbak.

Over here only Gold Wing owners seem to fit cup holders, they're just one item on the compulsory kit they have to fit to make them look like every other Gold Wing anywhere in the world. I've mentioned this before, acres of useless bolt on chrome tat, assorted flags, disco lights, stuffed toys, and of course a big fat lass squeezed onto the back seat clutching a bag of chocolates. I passed a typical Comedy Central Gold Wing couple with all the junk fitted on my way back from the gym a couple of hours ago.

As for references about tea, I've never taken milk in tea but at least we know how to make a decent pot of tea here. We don't wave a teabag at a cup of hot water for a nano second and pass it off as tea. Thankfully those tasteless breakfast grits I tried in Florida have never caught on here, the nearest equivalent we have is the stuff they use to hang wallpaper and paste up advertising posters.
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 6:23 am

there is a dozen coffee shops and Mc dough within and HYW rest stops every 50 kl within a 250 miles radius . No cup holder's for me. scratch
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 6:34 am

There are times I will have a little tea in my cup, but I use ice and a little sugar as well.  Good old fashioned ice tea.  Hot tea, never touch that stuff.

My wing has ABS, electronic cruise control, Tire pressure monitoring system, CB, intercom between driver and rider, Am/fm radio, CD player, MP3 player, GPS, passenger arm rests, corbin heated seat with separate passenger / driver heat controls,  heated grips,  plenty of chrome, flags, chrome luggage rack, trailer hitch, hitch rack, a run flat car tire, and a fancy cup holder.

Things I don't have:  A deer whistle or one of those bells.  

My motorcycle has what most Goldwings have:  A proud owner.

Last edited by Modernman1953 on Fri Jul 08, 2016 6:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 6:42 am

I don't like coffee. When in America I did try to point out that tea is brewed by the hot water being poured over the tea. As most gave you a cup with hot water in it and a tea bag slung over the top. When in Cuba I showed a waitress how to make a cup of tea. She made a fortune in tips by telling everyone she would make them an English cup of tea, with milk and sugar.
Back to top Go down
Bash On!
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 252
Registration date : 2015-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 9:03 am

"acres of useless bolt on chrome tat, assorted flags, disco lights, stuffed toys, and of course a big fat lass squeezed onto the back seat clutching a bag of chocolates"

Also applies to many Harleys here. My first Harley was probably the only one in history that was completely stock when I bought it, and completely stock when I sold it. Pretty sure HD makes more on chrome and clothes than bikes.
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 12:35 pm

I am really liking my Silverwing. It is getting most of the miles these days. It doesn't have the features my Goldwing has, but it does have great power, ease of use and plenty of on board storage.

I checked. No scraping on the center stand.
Back to top Go down
BillScooterDude
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
BillScooterDude

Number of posts : 48
Registration date : 2012-09-22

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 1:13 pm

Meldrew, your a funny guy, I love reading your posts!
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: Chalk one up for Swingers   Chalk one up for Swingers I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 08, 2016 2:11 pm

I stand corrected on the 'knickers' remark. I don't have much mastery of foreign languages. Wink
Grits are a Southern US thing. My wife likes them but I've often remarked about how I used that stuff to paste pictures into scrapbooks when I was a kid. She didn't think that was as funny as I did. I have to be careful, she's a Texas girl.

I've owned several Goldwings but very little bling (that's farkles). Back when I was doing long trips there was no better motorcycle for the job. My longest run was 880 miles on a nasty rainy, windy day from Stockton, CA to Tacoma, WA. Not a bad ride but would have been on another bike. I passed thee HD riders in the Cascades, hunkered down behind their ape hangers wearing their beanie helmets chugging along on I5 about 40mph. I saluted them with my Diet Pepsi (carried in my cup holder) as I passed by clocking along at 70mpy in the rain and wind. I put almost 200,000 miles on that GW with absolutely no problems.

Tea. I like Orange Pekoe brewed almost as black as coffee. I prefer it at room temperature or cold but don't like ice in it because that weakens it. No sugar or sweetener. Milk or cream really sounds awful. I brew it from Red Rose or Lipton tea bags pouring boiling water over them. Never did like coffee.

End of digression and thread hijacking.
Back to top Go down

Chalk one up for Swingers
Page 1 of 1