Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Yesterday at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby COMick Yesterday at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

hello! need advice

Go down 
+16
Leena H
dekare
winged warrior
JeffR
exavid
moonshiner
Reg
dspevack
"Hi Yo"
john grinsel
cotetoi
shyted
tinman
ericclapham
DaveR
crazycatlady
20 posters
AuthorMessage
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2016-09-13

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2016 11:04 pm

Hi, my name is Wendy. I'm a middle aged short (5ft 2) chick who has really never had an interest in riding anything other than horses. However, my sweetie has gotten a BIG bike, a Kawasaki something or other 1600 cc. He's a very big guy and needs every bit of that. I'm short and round and not very comfortable riding with him. We have friends that ride too and I would like to come along. I have no doubt in my ability to pilot a two wheeled vehicle but I have never changed gears on anything besides a 10 speed. Therefore, after doing much research I've decided that a scooter would be the most expedient way to go. I've compared all of the larger scooters online but have no practical experience at all, but you guys do. I'm quite sure some of you have experience with multiple brands of scooters. In your opinion what would be best for for a short, round woman that likes to go fast? Thanks!
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 13, 2016 11:56 pm

5ft 2 ! Well now, that may be a little problem. Yes, the Wing is fast no doubt but unless your legs are out of proportion to the rest of your beauty, you may not touch the ground. That my little friend could be a problem. Don't know if you could cut the seat down to lower it enough or not. Maybe there is someone of your stature that rides a Silverwing that can give some input. Just don't try to ride one and let it spoil your beauty by getting in to an accident. That would not be a good thing. Best wishes to you and yours hope it works out for you both.
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 12:07 am

Thanks for the input Dave R. This is exactly the kind of thing I need to know. I can look at seat heights all day long but the don't really mean anything until someone with experience says, Wendy, you're too short. Story of my life!
Back to top Go down
ericclapham
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
ericclapham

Number of posts : 106
Registration date : 2014-01-30

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 12:11 am

Hi Wendy, A friend of mine had the same problem with her Sym scooter. Her solution was to have a motor trimmer remove the seat cover, exposing the foam and reducing (removing) the thickness under the drivers' position. There are probably lower aftermarket seats out there but they usually are expensive.
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 12:31 am

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks!
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 5:38 am

I shaved 1" of the top leaving the the front part of the seat to top stop from sliding of the seat .The other option is to trike your swing ,that will give you more stability and your legs don't need to touch the ground at a stop signs.A look at my photo album can give some ideas on the seat trim or a trike conversion kit.
Back to top Go down
shyted
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 22
Registration date : 2016-07-03

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: height challenged   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 6:24 am

my  wife is  vertically challenged  also. (5'2").  At the moment she is riding a CF Moto 250cc cruiser. The good thing about this is it has a low seat height and also a CVT transmission as found in scooters. Just twist and go.hello! need advice P1010610 I hope this helps
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 11:36 am

There is still one more option that has not been suggested. Platform shoes/riding boots. They do exist, for both sexes. I dare say that for a lady they would not look strange at all. There are also height extender boots: Google it. They can boost your inseam by as much as 5 inches.
Jay.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 14, 2016 12:53 pm

First if you are short, short legs---beginner, SilverWing is not bike for you-----it is heavy, top heavy, powerful-----need new bike/scooter? not much on the market right now that easy to ride/fast. You might try finding a Helix....low seat/ can do highway speeds. I had 4 new ones, rode them total of 175,000 miles.

First get lic. MSF courses are available and work for start.
Back to top Go down
"Hi Yo"
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
hello! need advice 510-80

Number of posts : 2940
Registration date : 2010-02-17

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 8:00 pm

Wendy,

Welcome to the site. I would check for scooters for sale at dealers in your area. Go sit on them and see how they fit you. There are many scooters sold in the Asian areas where you would probably be average height.

If you get a Silver Wing, don't leave you boyfriend behind at stoplights. It will hurt his feelings. Laughing

Last edited by "Hi Yo" on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: hmmm   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 8:35 pm

OK, short and fireplugish would adequately describe me. I need to keep up with a group of riders that include Harleys, Goldwings etc on the interstate in the US. Speed limit is 70 but lotsa times I go 80 in my car just to go along with traffic. This is why I chose a "scooter" with a bigger engine. I asked one of the guys in the group who has some kinda big a** Harley but also has a Vespa 200cc just for running around town what he thought I should get. Rather, I told him what I had researched and he thought 600-650cc would be a good match. Let me just ask this bluntly, what would you suggest for 5ft 2 170 lbs that might carry stuff since scooters have storage more often than bikes unless they have saddlebags? One I read about could carry 465 lbs!! I don't need that but need something that will adequately keep up. I would love to have one of the new Honda NMs but they are pricey! Would solve the height prob since the seat height is like 25.5 inches! What scootscoot do I need, ya'll?
Back to top Go down
dspevack
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
dspevack

Number of posts : 2008
Registration date : 2008-12-27

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 9:08 pm

crazycatlady wrote:
I would love to have one of the new Honda NMs but they are pricey! Would solve the height prob since the seat height is like 25.5 inches! What scootscoot do I need, ya'll?

I have the Honda NM4. Yes it is a little pricey but only about 2k more than the retail price of a New Silverwing. The NM4 hasn't changed at all since introduction, so the only difference between new
and used is price. Its a great bike, low seat height, easy to move around, has a flip up backrest.
Not much storage though, until you put on a top case.
Check out http://www.vultusforum.com/ for more info on it.
Here is a used one for $8500 whereas retail is 11k.
http://www.cycletrader.com/dealers/B-%26-B-Cycles-2921648/listing/2015-Honda-NM4-118903534

Dan

MODS: Why is this still in the for sale section?
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 9:32 pm

Yeah, wasn't going to buy a new scooter. Even at $8500 can't afford it. Now if Honda would like a short, fat old lady to demo their bike for the short, fat old lady crowd, that's a different story!!
Back to top Go down
Reg
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Reg

Number of posts : 101
Registration date : 2016-08-07

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 10:55 pm

I know a woman that is 5ft. She rides a 650 Yamaha v-star. They have the lowest seat you can find on a motorcycle. I thinks hers is a 2005 model.
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 11:05 pm

I need automatic though. Missing parts of fingers on the clutch hand.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 11:45 pm

crazycatlady wrote:
I need automatic though. Missing parts of fingers on the clutch hand.

i would suggest going to the bike shops and just trying some out , if the glove fits , you will know , the biggest scooter honda makes now is a 250 , i think suzuki still makes a 400 cc Bergman i know they make a 200 Bergman , and yamaha makes a 500 t-max , of course there are also used suzuki 650 Bergman's and honda 600 silver wings , the t-max , Bergman and the silverwing are really the only three that are really interstate capable in my opinion .
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 11:47 pm

Agred
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 11:48 pm

Make that agreed.
Back to top Go down
moonshiner
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
moonshiner

Number of posts : 94
Registration date : 2011-08-06

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 15, 2016 11:56 pm

crazycatlady wrote:
Hi, my name is Wendy. I'm a middle aged short (5ft 2) chick who has really never had an interest in riding anything other than horses. However, my sweetie has gotten a BIG bike, a Kawasaki something or other 1600 cc. He's a very big guy and needs every bit of that. I'm short and round and not very comfortable riding with him. We have friends that ride too and I would like to come along. I have no doubt in my ability to pilot a two wheeled vehicle but I have never changed gears on anything besides a 10 speed. Therefore, after doing much research I've decided that a scooter would be the most expedient way to go. I've compared all of the larger scooters online but have no practical experience at all, but you guys do. I'm quite sure some of you have experience with multiple brands of scooters. In your opinion what would be best for for a short, round  woman that likes to go fast? Thanks!

here you go ,http://powersports.honda.com/2016/ctx700n.aspx, meet the new silverwing , 26.5 inch seat height and a automatic trans,

description "The CTX700N offers an automatic transmission and ABS. With the DCT automatic transmission, you can shift with the push of a handlebar-mounted button, or select the automatic mode and the bike will shift itself. Plus, you get anti-lock brakes for improved stopping in less than ideal conditions."

Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 12:52 am

My opinion is a bit different on the subject. A Silverwing would have no problem whatsoever keeping up with the big bikes on the road assuming they all aren't a bunch of idiots on sport bikes. As to whether you can ride one go try and sit on one and see if you have a hard time reaching the ground. I've ridden with harness boots, the type with squared off toes, and ankle straps attached to a couple rings that have a bit of a heel. That can make a big difference.

The main obstacle I see is starting out on a Silverwing. It is a bit heavy as a beginning machine. My advise would be to get a smaller scooter, perhaps a 150cc Chinese scooter. They have the advantage of being reasonably light and cheap. Not a long term reliable machine perhaps but a good learning bike. It's big enough to go on most roads except freeways. Get some riding under your belt with something like that on a learner's permit. Then start looking for a good Silverwing. A training facility to learn the basics is well worth trying. If you can find one near you it is a very good thing to try. I don't think it would be worth your time at a school working with a manual shift motorcycle if a scooter is what you plan on having. Whatever you ride be sure to get the proper gear. A real helmet not a 'beanie' or a 'German' style. A full face, or modular is best but at least a 3/4 open face is a necessity. Motorcycle jacket (mesh with armor is great and not too warm), boots that won't come off in an accident and gloves at a minimum. Being of the wiser sex it's not likely you'll have that 'macho' stuff about riding without good safety gear. It isn't macho, it's dumb not to. Good luck and keep up posted on how it goes for you. If you can handle a horse you're one up on me who has been riding motorcycles for 60 years. I can't handle a horse.
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 1:06 am

Horses are easy!

While what you describe would be the best way, I don't have the time or money for 2"different vehicles. I'm a retired registered nurse, an ER nurse so I'm in perpetual hurry up mode.

Safety gear will not be an issue, like I said ER nurse..
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 1:15 am

You may want to look at the Burgman 400 since it has a lower seat and will keep up with the other bikes up to about 90mph.  They have been making them for years and you should be able to get a good deal on a used one.  If you do look at the Burgman 400 you should get a 2008 or newer.  

You can go to this site  www.burgmanusa.com  and check it out and ask them. I had a Majesty 400, which is the same power as the Burgman 400, and it did great for me and my wife.  The Majesty has a taller seat which is why I didn't recommend it.  But at 5'2" the Burgman 400 should do you really good.  I believe the seat is about 3" lower than the Silverwing and the 400 will take you anywhere you want to go in comfort.  Let us know what you do.

I have a CTX700 now and it has a somewhat low seat and you could get the DCT, like I have, for around $5-6,000 if you look around.  Just my opinion.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 1:31 am

Just saw one for $4600 on Craigslist. I thought about the. 400 but didn't think I could keep up. I think the BF is kinda freakin out a bit about this. He keeps insisting that I can do the clutch but with fingertips missing due to a circulation problem I think Id be better off with something automatic .hopiing he changes his tune.
Back to top Go down
winged warrior
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
winged warrior

Number of posts : 51
Registration date : 2016-08-31

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: lower scooter   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 6:26 am

There is a 400cc Honda scooter and it is smaller then silverwing, typically more appropriate for city driving,
I park beside it all the time downtown but forget the name, it starts with an R I think, best of luck
WW
Back to top Go down
dekare
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
dekare

Number of posts : 125
Registration date : 2016-08-09

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 8:01 am

hello! need advice 08211610

I paid $1,900 for the 2004 above with 14k on it. So the price is coming down. With the market so soft for a scooter, I feel it doesn't make sense to spend alot on one. The only exception I could see is if you know for sure a certain type/model of scoot is for you., i.e., you've ridden something like a Silverwing or Burg., for years and you wanted to upgrade.
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: not a silverwing   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 8:27 pm

Any of you have any experience with the Piaggio MP3?
Back to top Go down
DaveR
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider

Number of posts : 440
Registration date : 2009-02-19

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 16, 2016 10:49 pm

I think the Bergman 400 might be the answer. It will run as fast as you want to go and is much lighter but will handle very well,.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 1:25 am

Seems someone on this forum was posting about that bike. I don't care for it the front end seems overly complicated to me. That scooter does have it's fans though. If your BF freaks out about you wanting a scooter you might need to straighten him out wee bit. He's hasn't bought into the "Harley bad boy" image thing has he? A lot of guys tend to ridicule scooters. They have no idea of the capabilities of a Maxi scooter like the Silverwing.

There's no doubt that a scooter has a lower learning curve than a motorcycle. People do start riding with a manual shift bike, but it's definitely easier with a scooter. The center of gravity is lower on a scooter meaning it's not as prone to be dropped at low speed maneuvers. Without the transmission to consider it means a new rider can concentrate on whatever maneuver they are doing without dividing their attention to the clutch and shifter. A Burgman 400 could be a good possibility for you, not as fast as the SW but plenty of steam for normal riding on freeways. It has about the same seat height as the Silverwing but about 50lbs lighter. That weight difference might not be all that important since both bikes have a very low CG. The B400 has a decent reliability record, not quite as good as the SW but what does?

My opinion, for what it's worth, go for it, get a SW if you can get some good instruction (not the BF)and see how it works out for you. You won't lose much money if you try it and don't like it. I say don't let your BF teach you to ride it. It's always best to find a teacher that doesn't have any personal involvement with the student. Less pressure that way. Good luck and keep us posted on your adventure.
Back to top Go down
JeffR
Site Admin
JeffR

Number of posts : 2596
Registration date : 2008-12-19

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 1:59 am

Wendy,

The Majesty 400 I had topped out at 97 mph per my gps. The Burgman 400 has the same power and will go 75 mph all day long with lots of comfort. I would cruise at 80 mph most of the time on the interstate and i'm 210 lbs. I wouldn't be concerned about the 400 IMO. Another thing about scooters, other than the Burg 650, is that you can install slightly lighter Dr Pulley sliders and get better acceleration. A set of these cost about $60 or so and will give much better acceleration if you think you need it. Good luck though with what you decide.
Back to top Go down
https://www.silverwing600.com
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 2:31 am

Hah, I was married to JeffR
Back to top Go down
tinman
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1298
Registration date : 2011-11-29

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 6:01 am

I had a piaggio MP3,and I do not recommend it for someone with short inseam.They are very top heavy,and not very reliable,Belt life is between 5 to 10 k kl,at a cost of $150.+each. They are next to impossible to resale them it can take yrs to sell.a front end alinement is very costly,and the wheel bearings are known to fail.
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 1:16 pm

Thank you for telling me. They're supposed to be the top selling scooter in France. You'd think they'd have the kinks worked out by now.
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeSat Sep 17, 2016 1:50 pm

My height is 5 ft 7. I used to have Gilera Nexus 500 earlier and bought a Honda Silver Wing 600 just a month ago. I warmly recommend you the same! Many maxi scooter have quite hight center console and it can cause difficulties if you aren't very tall woman. I just posted my introduction and compare Honda with Gilera.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeSun Sep 18, 2016 11:56 pm

Why not try finding a SW and check it for fit? Of all the maxi scooters it's hard to find one that's as reliable as a Silverwing. Kinda like the Eveready bunny. With the scooter market so poor in the US used SWs are a bargain.
Back to top Go down
crazycatlady
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 12:13 am

Yeah, I've seen some that are inexpensive as well as Burgman 400 that would also be a good fit. One of my.girlfriends who races bikes almost had me talked into what I affectionately call the clutchy thingy. You can do it she says! Uhm. My feet don't always do what I tell them to. What if I really needed to down shift quickly in some sort of emergency and my left foot decided to not do that? I think not only is this (scooter) easier but for me, also safer. Now if I can get the BF beyond his mortification of my uncoordination requiring me to be scooterbound. Rolling my eyes here in Alabama where summer doesn't want to end.
Back to top Go down
Leena H
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Leena H

Number of posts : 103
Registration date : 2016-09-17

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 3:45 am

If you have issues with your coordination/feet Piaggio MP3 or Gilera Fuoco might be a solution for your question. I had Gilera Nexus 500 for 10 years. The scooter was quite sporty. These two scooters I mentioned both have two front wheels, so you don´t have to worry about keeping the bike up or even put your feet down onto the ground when stopping. They´re both 500cc, so enough for a good ride. One of my FB-friends just changed from BMW GT650 to Piaggio MP3 and he preferred the latter one.

Both scooters are pretty much the same, but Piaggio seems to have ABS breaks. According some pictures you´re able to look over the windshield.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 6:32 am

Isn't it a bit premature to be asking for advice on this type of maxi scooter, before you've joined the club by acquiring the licence and appropriate skills and experience needed to ride one.

Back to top Go down
Easyrider
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Easyrider

Number of posts : 1012
Registration date : 2015-12-18

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 6:49 am

Leena Hallasmaa wrote:
My height is 5 ft 7. I used to have Gilera Nexus 500 earlier and bought a Honda Silver Wing 600 just a month ago. I warmly recommend you the same! Many maxi scooter have quite hight center console and it can cause difficulties if you aren't very tall woman. I just posted my introduction and compare Honda with Gilera.

I believe that she is 5 inches shorter than you and may have problems reaching the ground. By all means go and seat on a Silverwing and check the fit. Honda also makes a 300 scooter that may be a better fit. Not many used ones available. Keep looking. Hope you find a scooter that you like. Come back and let us know what you got.

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 19, 2016 4:13 pm

As Meldrew says go get some training first from a proper riding school, hopefully one that can provide the bike. Its always better to drop a schools bike than your own.
And try and get a bike with abs, hopefully you'll never need it but if you do...
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 1:33 am

Might be difficult to get the training without having a scooter to train on.
Back to top Go down
The Scootist
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
The Scootist

Number of posts : 693
Registration date : 2009-01-23

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 20, 2016 9:55 am

Around here when you take the MSF course they provide a 250cc clutch bike to learn on. That may be a decent way to learn riding basics.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

hello! need advice Empty
PostSubject: Re: hello! need advice   hello! need advice I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

hello! need advice
Page 1 of 1