Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Goodbye guys
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby Kenjls Today at 3:43 pm

» noise under load
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby dmosemorris Today at 1:30 pm

» checking the oil
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby arcamedies13 Today at 9:32 am

» Ignition wires to which plug?
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu May 16, 2024 6:39 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Wed May 15, 2024 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» Left brake micro-switch
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

MOT time for scootie

Go down 
+6
MadDog
Old Limey
Meldrew
exavid
phils a winger
steve_h80
10 posters
AuthorMessage
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

MOT time for scootie Empty
PostSubject: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 2:51 pm

Tomorrow scottie goes in for her MOT, a few weeks early... but, bloody hell, I've had a scooter for a year!!!
And I must say I'm still enjoying it.
Thanks for a years worth of helpful advice folks cheers
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

Number of posts : 179
Registration date : 2014-09-27

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 3:50 pm

Fingers crossed !
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeFri Apr 21, 2017 10:28 pm

Makes me happy no one inspects vehicles in Oregon except for a couple areas that do emissions checks. But then they don't do those on motor cycles/scooters.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 1:22 am

We whinge on a bit, but in truth who would want ride a bike that hasn't passed a safety check?
Most enthusiast bikers over this side of the pond are quite machine aware and keep them in good condition. Can't say that the majority of the car driving / commuting people though. They treat a vehicle as a fridge or other white goods and would happily / dumbly ride/drive about in a death trap. A real "fix the horn, cos the brakes don't work" attitude :-)
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 1:54 am

I've read quite a few forum posts over the years where riders have presented their bikes/scooters for MOT and they seem quite happy that it's passed, although they were given Advisory Notices about stuff like tyre treads near the legal limit. I'm sure they were well aware of that before they rode it there for the test but decided to chance it anyway. It isn't difficult to check that your bike/scooter is 100% roadworthy before you decide to book it in. Getting my Silver Wing's annual MOT is just about the only time I ride it into York.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 12:48 pm

Well MOT passed of course.
So me and SWMBO took off for long ride over to the northern lakes and back via Calisle. Grand day out.
Brilliant two up bikes these (even if they do bounce about a bit if I get enthusiastic).
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSat Apr 22, 2017 9:01 pm

I guess it's the difference in wanting someone else to look at your bike instead of taking care of it yourself. I know my bike better than any once over by some official inspector ever will. The tread doesn't suddenly fall off your tires, your brake pads are easily accessible, brake action is something you  feel every time your ride. Horns and lights are an easy thing to check and should be done by the rider often. Loose, bent, or other deformed parts of a bike should be easy for a rider to see. So I can't see any reason to want an 'official' to check mine. I realize there are states and countries where there's no choice and I'm glad I don't have to.
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2017 1:20 am

Your missing the point Paul.
The MOT ensures every other vehicle on the road has an annual check, not just yours.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2017 1:57 am

... and Darksiders would be told not to be silly boys and get sent away and have proper tyres fitted.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2017 2:18 am

steve_h80 wrote:
Your missing the point Paul.
The MOT ensures every other vehicle on the road has an annual check, not just yours.

Not at all, I believe people should be responsible for what they do. We don't have many places that inspect vehicles in the US and I'd bet that we don't have all that many accidents caused by vehicle failure. I don't have any problem with commercial vehicles being inspected mainly because they are usually a lot heavier and driven harder than private ones.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2017 2:35 am

Maybe because you don't have annual vehicle inspections in the US is the reason why you see so many abandoned and rusty cars outside rural homes and properties. They're obviously vehicles that have gone way beyond being safe and roadworthy and are now just an eyesore.

Our equivalent is maybe an old mattress or sofa that's been dumped in the gardens of houses in less salubrious areas. Smile
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2017 12:57 pm

I recall seeing on this site someone in the USA showing a picture of a tyre with the inside cover showing through and asking if he should get a new tyre. Every M. O. T inspection includes the tyres and at least 1.6 mm of tread must be on each tyre to pass inspection. Every motor vehicle has to pass an inspection each year after it is three years old in the UK.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2017 1:38 pm

Different strokes. I'd rather a rider took care of his own machine or if uncertain about something take the bike to a shop than invite our government to get into more of our business. It's bad enough to pay to re-license the bike every four years. What I don't want is more fees for this and that.
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2017 2:19 pm

I don't think anyone on here from the UK is complaining, and at least all our vehicles have to operate within the same safety parameters. So as no one is regulating what you fit over there, there's a ready market for the 'safety related' junk you're kidded into buying, like headlight modulators and fancy LED rear light displays etc.

Y'know all the stuff that riders round the world don't need, don't fit, and don't waste their money on, as you say different strokes.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 23, 2017 6:00 pm

Yes indeed, different folks different strokes. As it should be.
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 1:09 pm

HI just a question "Does the handbrake come under the MOT " ??
Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 1:29 pm

Short answer YES. We had a member called "Waspie" at one time, and I recall he said it failed M.O.T. because handbrake did not operate, he never used the handbrake so did not maintain it.
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

Number of posts : 3797
Registration date : 2009-06-29

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 2:06 pm

I don't doubt what's just been said but mine's in on Thursday at 1.30. for its MOT so I'll see what's said about it down here.
I'm not sure if 'my man' knows the Silverwing has a handbrake. Wink
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 2:31 pm

No need to burden him with unnecessary details is there?
Back to top Go down
Modernman1953
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 379
Registration date : 2016-06-01

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 4:21 pm

Cup holders covered by MOT inspections?
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeWed May 03, 2017 5:16 pm

Not something many people over here bother with.
The Test is concerned with roadworthiness, not frippery. Wink

Last edited by MikeO on Thu May 04, 2017 3:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pgnz
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
pgnz

Number of posts : 54
Registration date : 2017-02-21

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 3:53 am

Handbrake ?? My WOF (MOT) man never asks about my Sandra !
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 6:40 am

Laughing
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeThu May 04, 2017 11:16 am

Passed with no Advisories.

I asked about the handbrake; there is no box to tick on the page so it isn't part of the Test.

My tester said he wouldn't do it anyway as he considered it would be dangerous testing it using the rollers - his deduction, not mine.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 8:33 am

re hand brake mot failure, mine did fail 2 years ago on handbrake, it was seized. Took it off completely for re-test while I rebuilt it
Back to top Go down
MikeO
Site Admin
MikeO

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeFri May 05, 2017 4:38 pm

Vince, my 'man', suggested that if the rear brakes didn't function because of a fault with the handbrake it would be a 'fail' but the handbrake alone wasn't on the list so wasn't 'testable'.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeSat May 06, 2017 7:04 pm

Hard to see how the rear brake could fail to work because of the parking brake since the parking brake is a whole separate caliper independent on the rear brake system. There's no way it could prevent the rear brake from functioning.
Back to top Go down
phils a winger
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
phils a winger

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeMon May 08, 2017 12:55 pm

On the brake rollers it shows as dragging when lever released
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 4:32 am

Rear parking brake is not part of the MOT unless it is sticking on my bike also  has a handbrake and i did ask this question last time i took them for the MOT both are due same month the only other thing is that all components must be secure

Last edited by siataukreg on Mon May 15, 2017 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
MadDog
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 37
Registration date : 2016-07-11

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitimeMon May 15, 2017 7:39 am

Hi guys thanks for your input on Handbrake MOT Surprised MadDog
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: MOT time for scootie   MOT time for scootie I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

MOT time for scootie
Page 1 of 1