Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Passenger Back rest
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 7:02 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby landisr Wed Oct 16, 2024 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Oct 16, 2024 7:17 am

» New to the forum
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:18 am

» Gulf shores, AL
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby Mauryturnsoutitsmine99 Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:52 pm

» Searching for Honda or After Market Part
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:22 pm

» A strange howl
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Aging ridera and skills

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Aging ridera and skills Empty
PostSubject: Aging ridera and skills   Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 9:50 am

Something I have noticed as aging rider----unless you do it every day, your skills get worse.  Since new Mitsuibishi arrived in my garage...I to not use my bike for everything and or everyday......I have have noticed skills go downhill.....and I have been doing the bike/scooter thing almost everyday since 1955....and plan to continue well into my 80's.

Soon the car interest thing will wear off for me....but I do like AC and heater.

As most riders here are older and many did not ride a lot when younger or at all.  So old practice basic skills, especially after long layoffs.

Have funeral to attend to in WI next week Friday----really want to take bike but....my usual rule for WI/N. MN/ UP of MI----don't take bike after 20 Nov if you are in hurry....no hurry you can wait out snowstorms.   Even though early Nov and in hurry will probably take car.  

I do not really dislike riding in winter/cold/snow----Once rode across entire state of WY in snow/in first gear/Suzuki GS500E/going west.

Anyway point of this:  Watch skills as you get older and just a few days off can dull them.
Back to top Go down
cotetoi
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 757
Registration date : 2013-06-27

PostSubject: Re: Aging ridera and skills   Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 11:25 am

I don't know that I have noticed my skills deteriorate after sitting out for a few months. One thing I do daily during the lay-off is to watch motorcycling videos of all sorts, not just riding but repairs, reviews, fails, rtw trips, etc.
One more thing, I try to keep in shape, as much as possible.

Jay.
Back to top Go down
Scootypuff Snr
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Scootypuff Snr

Number of posts : 232
Registration date : 2017-04-21

PostSubject: Re: Aging ridera and skills   Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 12:08 pm

John

I totally agree with you about worsening skills or probably better described as developing bad habits.

However we don't want / have to admit it as 99.9% of the time we get away with it.

The important part is recognition.
Here in the UK we have something called bike safe run by the local LEO & for a nominal fee (£40 odd) you get a days classroom and road instruction from a police rider.

I used to do these every few years and every time brought away a new set of eyes for already present skills that needed polishing

Back to top Go down
Old Limey
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
Old Limey

Number of posts : 921
Registration date : 2010-06-09

PostSubject: Re: Aging ridera and skills   Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 3:09 pm

I rode to work and back on motorcycles for over twenty years, sometimes with a passenger. Since I retired, twenty years, ago I have ridden almost daily, in all weathers. As you get older you go for a ride (not a race) as I am always saying, experience and common sense keep you safe you can see a situation developing, if you look far enough ahead, and can react accordingly. As I travel mostly on country lanes the speed limit is normally 50-60 mph and I am very happy to keep to these speeds, if anyone wants to overtake me and break the speed limit I gladly move over and let them pass be it another two wheeler or car- van driver. The longest I am off the road is when I go on holiday usually ten days or so, but soon as I get back I go for a little spin, around the block, as I say, if going out for an hour or so. Just recently I have been wearing my heated vest and using the heated handlebar grips, only difference for me is what clothes I wear to suit the weather conditions.
Back to top Go down
bikehiker
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
bikehiker

Number of posts : 433
Registration date : 2017-09-07

PostSubject: Re: Aging ridera and skills   Aging ridera and skills I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2018 8:58 pm

A big pat on the back to John for bringing up an important TRUTH about aging and riding. Being not too far behind John in age and still wanting to ride as much as possible, I need to admit that being off the bike for even a week lessens my riding skills. I find the same with bicycle riding, archery, musical instruments, etc. For almost any skill, practice makes perfect. Those who haven't entered the 60s, 70s, 80s, etc., may not appreciate this discussion as much. In due time, you will be rubber-stamping the initial post. Returning to the bike after a longer spell, I white-knuckle the hand grips for a while. But experience has told me that the same time I get into the groove of feeling too comfortable, bad stuff happens. Oh, well, I guess this riding vice is less dangerous than a lot of other vices...like cliff climbing without ropes, robbing banks, or telling my wife she's way too fat.
Back to top Go down

Aging ridera and skills
Page 1 of 1