Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

CO2 Cartridges do they work?

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2778
Registration date : 2008-12-28

CO2 Cartridges do they work? Empty
PostSubject: CO2 Cartridges do they work?   CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:28 pm

A few years ago I won a CO2 emergence tire filler kit at one of the local bike shops and never had a chance to use it. Has anyone here, had the misfortune to need and use one. How did you like it? Was it easy to use and how many cartidges did it take to fill your tire?

I was just wondering. CO2 Cartridges do they work? Icon_smile
Back to top Go down
joncallihan
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1025
Registration date : 2009-02-16

PostSubject: Re: CO2 Cartridges do they work?   CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 5:44 pm

I had the misfortune to have to use one. The rear tire on a BMW K1100LT. The plug kit was difficult to use. The cartridges (all 6 that I had) filled the tire to about 20 PSI. I don't reccommend them at all. Spend the $20 or so for one of the really good 12v compressors. CO2 Cartridges do they work? Kopfschuettel CO2 Cartridges do they work? Kopfschuettel CO2 Cartridges do they work? Kopfschuettel
Back to top Go down
http://www.joncallihan.com
honda_silver
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
honda_silver

Number of posts : 2453
Registration date : 2008-12-23

PostSubject: Re: CO2 Cartridges do they work?   CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 7:16 pm

DennisB wrote:
A few years ago I won a CO2 emergence tire filler kit at one of the local bike shops and never had a chance to use it. Has anyone here, had the misfortune to need and use one. How did you like it? Was it easy to use and how many cartidges did it take to fill your tire?

I have not used any CO2 cartridges, but I have used the Stop-n-Go mushroom plug on the side of the road helping a Harley with a flat tire. The tire would not fully inflate with with 12V Cyclepump ... so I checked the plug with saliva and found the plug was leaking air all around the sides of the mushroom plug. We were only about 1.5 miles from a gas station ... which he still could fully inflate the tire so he decided to ride home a couple more miles with the reduced tire pressure.

At least with a 12V pump I could keep filling the tire periodically as needed until I reached spot to handle the tire versus being limited by the number of CO2 cartridges I have.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: CO2 Cartridges do they work?   CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 31, 2009 9:24 pm

Jon and Bill,

I have a small air compressor on my scooter and have had it for some time now. Works great.
CO2 Cartridges do they work? Pump10

I was just wondering about the CO2 kit. It doesn't look like an easy thing to mess with.
Back to top Go down
exavid
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 2658
Registration date : 2009-07-17

PostSubject: Re: CO2 Cartridges do they work?   CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeFri Jan 01, 2010 7:29 pm

I haven't tried one either, my Goldwing has an onboard compressor for the suspension which can also be used to pump up a tire. I'd think the CO2 kits ought to work better on a scooter than a car or motorcycle due to the smaller tire size. Have any of you seen the 'redneck' tire bead seating on Youtube? With the tire on the rim spray some flammable fluid into the tire through the gap between the rim and bead and throw a match at it. Bang goes the tire and it's instantly seated on the rim. I'd give that a try if I were out on the road and had a flat that unseated the tire, you wouldn't have to remove the tire to do it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uyANsdO1rI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5xwfDEtk-R8
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: CO2 Cartridges do they work?   CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:09 am

DennisB wrote:
I have a small air compressor on my scooter and have had it for some time now. Works great.
CO2 Cartridges do they work? Pump10

Which air compressor is this Dennis? Looks like a good one.
Back to top Go down
DennisB
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

PostSubject: Re: CO2 Cartridges do they work?   CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 8:40 am

Hi Mandy,

Got it at Harbor Freight, on sale for 19.99 a few months ago. It's small but a little bit heavy but it works well.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=96068

If you decide to get one, besure to print out the 19.99 online sales ad and take it to your closest HFTools to get the sale price.

NOW ONLY $17.99 FROM 1-4-10 THRU 1-10-10:
http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/itemdisplay/displayItem.do?itemid=96068

Hope you and the family are enjoying the new Ben and Vespa adventure.

Last edited by DennisB on Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
dickie
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
dickie

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2008-12-24

PostSubject: Re: CO2 Cartridges do they work?   CO2 Cartridges do they work? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 04, 2010 3:54 pm

Dennis, like exavid I have the built in compressor on the Gwing but am interested in a small compressor for the Swing. Problem is taking up space. To me the cartridges would be better than the can of "fix it flat". I have changed some tires that this stuff actually clogged up the valve stem and letting the air out to change the tire was a challenge.....of course if you have a flat and are on the side of the road most of us will be happy to use what ever we have. I carry a "Stop and Go" repair kit also. Dick
A roadside repair program is a good thing to have also. I use "Rescue Plus" from the GWRRA. Never had to use it on the Bikes but have used the locksmith part when I locked my keys in the car.
Back to top Go down

CO2 Cartridges do they work?
Page 1 of 1