Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Thermostat Replacement

Go down 
+4
Siataukreg
Terry Smith
Meldrew
Loosemarbles
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1600
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Thermostat Replacement  Empty
PostSubject: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 8:53 am

This is a follow on from my topic of engine temp dropping.

Does anyone know of a tutorial on how to replace the SW thermostat? Couldn't find anything on t'interweb Shocked
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4207
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 11:44 am

It's all covered in the Cooling System section pages 6-6 to 6-8 of the Factory Service Manual.

Obviously for copyright reasons it can't be reproduced in text or pics on here. Basically it's removing the left body cover to get access to the thermostat, and then draining the coolant. Then you have to remove the bolt and thermostat housing from the frame.

Remove the bolts, housing stay and thermostat housing cover, remove the O-ring from the housing cover and remove the thermostat. Visually inspect the thermostat for damage, and then do one of those heating the thermostat in hot water checks using a thermometer to to see if it opens other than at 80-84°C and a valve lift minimum of 8mm minimum at 85°C.

Of course you have to be creative and suspend the thermostat in the hot water and not let it touch the pan, or you'll get a false reading.

Installation is replacing the old or new thermostat in the housing with it's air bleed hole facing up and aligning it's ribs with the grooves in the housing. It would also be a good idea to put a new O-ring in the housing cover groove.

Then it’s a matter of installing the housing cover and housing stay to the housing and tightening the bolts, and bolting the housing stay to the frame.  Then it's time to refill the system with coolant and bleed it of air. Then if it's all tickety boo, you can put the left body cover back on.

Taking photos with your phone or iPad as you go might be useful too.

It's topics like that reinforce my long held view that if you want to tinker with your Silver Wing, buy the Factory Service Manual. I bought one and I'm not into the oily spanners and dirty fingernails stuff by any means. I'm no longer a Silver Wing owner either.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 2:53 pm

Thanks for that Mildrew. I am glad to hear that I only need to remove the side cover and not the tunnel cover. The rest sounds pretty straightforward.

I'm gonna put a new thermostat and O ring in just for peace of mind. I have a pdf manual but it's in German! At least I'll have the torque settings.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 11, 2020 4:15 pm

If one was to visit the Facebook Silverwing group's page, one could possibly download a full copy of the factory service manual... DAMHIK.

You can test the functionality of the thermostat whilst still in place. Start the engine from cold and keep a hand on the radiator. If its is working normally, the radiator stays cold while the closed thermostat keeps the coolant circulating just around the engine. When that coolant is suitably hot (normally around 75-80C) the thermostat opens, and the radiator will quickly get hot. On the other hand, if the thermostat is jammed open (the normal failing mode) then the radiator will slowly heat up from the time the engine is started.

Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 5:51 am

Thermostat Replacement  T_stat10
If you want to replace the whole thing i have about six of them
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 6:27 am

Thank you Terry for the Facebook info etc. It's good to see that your anti-gravity boots and scooter tyres are working well although I heard a rumour that gravity is a myth......the earth sucks!

siataukreg....thanks for that. I'll see what condition my thermostat and housing are in and I'll let you know.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 6:09 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
Thank you Terry for the Facebook info etc. It's good to see that your anti-gravity boots and scooter tyres are working well although I heard a rumour that gravity is a myth......the earth sucks!

Yes, the upside-down thing has its ups and downs...on the plus side, oil changes are really easy to do.
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 12, 2020 8:47 pm

That's really down under.

FYI on T-stat. Loosen the cover bolts before unbolting it from case once it's free and hanging from hoses it will be harder. O-ring is a must old one is well old and will never reseal anyway.

Good info. from Meldrew on the little bleed hole facing up allows the air - coolant to vent.
Never replaced a SW T-stat. Water pump yes and it's not easy upper hose is short and trying to align pump drive and put pump in engine case without O-ring falling out. AHHHHH.

Be patient bleeding cooling system.
Back to top Go down
Lenny
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 36
Registration date : 2019-09-08

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 7:16 am

https://manuals.wotmeworry.org.uk/Honda/Honda%202002-2013%20%20Silverwing%20600%20Service%20Manual.pdf

This should be the English version.
Back to top Go down
Siataukreg
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider
Siataukreg

Number of posts : 221
Registration date : 2014-08-24

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 8:43 am

Just looked up the cost of these its near 50 euros for the stat and seal full thing is a better buy at 50 euros this is on https://www.cmsnl.com/
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 8:51 am

Mech 1 twa wrote:
That's really down under.

FYI on T-stat.  Loosen the cover bolts before unbolting it from case once it's free and hanging from hoses it will be harder.    O-ring is a must old one is well old and will never reseal anyway.

Good info. from Meldrew on the little bleed hole facing up allows the air - coolant to vent.
Never replaced a SW T-stat.  Water pump yes and it's not easy upper hose is short and trying to align pump drive and put pump in engine case without O-ring falling out. AHHHHH.

Be patient bleeding cooling system.

The O-ring, just a wee dab of dielectric grease will help hold it in place, no slather job needed just enough to keep it in place.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 10:06 am

Wow, thanks mech 1 twa for the hints, Lenny for the manual link, siataukreg for the parts info (and the website link) and oldwingguy for another handy hint.

I feel better about tackling this job already. I ought to post the job in the maintenance section of the forum. Watch this...or that...space thumbs up
Back to top Go down
Mech 1 twa
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru
Mech 1 twa

Number of posts : 1384
Registration date : 2016-01-02

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 13, 2020 8:26 pm

Post it. I want to learn how it went.   Here's a few photos of SW water pump.  It has 2 weep holes 1 for coolant 1 for oil mine was leaking oil.  Thermostat Replacement  Img_2030
Thermostat Replacement  Img_2029
Thermostat Replacement  Img_2031
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2021 3:03 pm

Here we are, one year on and I still haven't replaced the thermostat.

I'm making plans and ordering the parts soon. However, I can't find a torque setting for the thermostat housing bolts or the housing stay bolts. The manual just says 'tighten securely'.

Does anybody have a torque setting for this?
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 553
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2021 3:41 pm

Loosemarbles wrote:
Here we are, one year on and I still haven't replaced the thermostat.

I'm making plans and ordering the parts soon. However, I can't find a torque setting for the thermostat housing bolts or the housing stay bolts. The manual just says 'tighten securely'.

Does anybody have a torque setting for this?

The standard torque for 6MM flange bolts is 13NM/9Ft/lbs, too much IMO for cast aluminun part, I would do no more than 8-10NM/5-7FT/Lbs, just need to compress rubber seal(O ring), snug would work too.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Thermostat Replacement    Thermostat Replacement  I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 19, 2021 3:55 pm

Thanks zrx212. Fortunately, I recently purchased a 5-15nm torque wrench.

Sorted... thumbs up

Back to top Go down

Thermostat Replacement
Page 1 of 1