Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Ignition wires to which plug?
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Today at 6:39 pm

» noise under load
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby COMick Today at 6:04 pm

» Hello from Illinois!
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby DescendingRaven Yesterday at 2:13 pm

» Silverwing Brakes
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Tue May 14, 2024 11:57 pm

» LF extended back rest
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby Frenchy Mon May 13, 2024 7:57 pm

» Anyone have a trailer hitch for sale
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Mon May 13, 2024 12:53 pm

» checking the oil
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby AldusFran Mon May 13, 2024 10:11 am

» Left brake micro-switch
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby Johnboy Fri May 10, 2024 7:57 pm

» Car tire for towing with a Silverwing?
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby BrianInVA Fri May 10, 2024 5:36 pm

» Greetings from a 'Wing' newbie
Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Fri May 10, 2024 8:11 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Huh? What'd you? say

Go down 
+7
Terry Smith
Murf
john grinsel
FrancoisJ
VictorLouis
oldwingguy
Meldrew
11 posters
AuthorMessage
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 72
Registration date : 2020-04-26

Huh? What'd you? say Empty
PostSubject: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 9:32 pm

I'm not always the best when it comes to plugging-up before a ride. Particularly when I don't anticipate any highway riding. Well, a few hours in city traffic can take a toll, also...as I am sure you know

Today's errands had me hit the Lowes, and I happened right onto the safety equipment aisle. These Hearos caught me eye, and I assumed they were like every other typical disposable plug. I was wrong.

These guys are much better than the pure foam, twirl-and-crimp to fit style, I pictured them with. You still have to twirl down the orange foam, but the blue shaft is plastic. This maintains the rigidity to guide them into the ear canal more easily. Plus, it's far easier to grasp hold of to remove than trying to fish for a little nub of foam to grasp.

I rode home on the surface streets with my clear visor up all the way, using only the built-in sunshade. Wow, just the gentle incoming breeze, and no blast at all. Very, very pleasant.

I know that one-size doesn't fit all, but it you can handle those other too in the pic, you will probably like them, also.

Last edited by VictorLouis on Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeSun Apr 26, 2020 9:38 pm

Huh? What'd you? say Hearos10
Huh? What'd you? say 3compa10
Huh? What'd you? say Paircl10
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 7:56 am

Interesting I have corded and non corded in different types, giving these a try wouldn't be a bad idea as long as the hard plastic doesn't interfere with the helmet on and off routine. o-HI-o just made these legal to use but in reality have been used for a lot longer. Get on that S'Wing and give Queen Creek canyon a workout Smile
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 8:38 am

Disposables are always hit and miss, they either work effectively after you've inserted them or they don't. You know this within a couple of miles, refitting them is hit and miss too, so you try another set.

Sometimes they can get pushed too far inside the ear canal and over the course of a ride become painful and distracting. Removing them afterwardswhen they're in a bit too far can be painful too.

I tried many types of disposables over the years, and I've still got a few dozen packets of earplugs somewhere in my garage.

The best advice is to visit an audiologist and get moulds made for a custom made set, they'll also check your ear canals for build ups of ear wax.

Once you have custom made plugs, you realise what a nuisance ear disposable plugs really are.
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 27, 2020 8:48 am

Meldrew wrote:
Disposables are always hit and miss, they either work effectively after you've inserted them or they don't. You know this within a couple of miles, refitting them is hit and miss too, so you try another set.

Sometimes they can get pushed too far inside the ear canal and over the course of a ride become painful and distracting. Removing them afterwardswhen they're in a bit too far can be painful too.

I tried many types of disposables over the years, and I've still got a few dozen packets of earplugs somewhere in my garage.

The best advice is to visit an audiologist and get moulds made for a custom made set, they'll also check your ear canals for build ups of ear wax.

Once you have custom made plugs, you realise what a nuisance ear
disposable plugs really are.

Good words there, too if one wears hearing aids as I do some can be programmed to turn off and act as a plug, I prefer to take them out and wear the plugs.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeTue Apr 28, 2020 5:17 pm

I popped in a pair of the yellow-ones again for comparo. The Hearos are definitely superior.
Back to top Go down
FrancoisJ
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
FrancoisJ

Number of posts : 31
Registration date : 2021-02-11

PostSubject: Ear Plugs: Road and other Noise   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 10:49 am

I used all different types until a friend suggested a visit to an audiologist - not so much to test my hearing, but rather to request custom made ear plugs.  I've never looked back.  These earplugs are made specifically for your ear canal, after a mold is made.  They make a tiny hole in the plastic resin and mark them left or right.  Those of us making use of bike audio will especially benefit.  It cancels out practically all the harmful noise, but still allows you to hear perfectly well when spoken to - with or without speakers on.  I've grown so accustomed to them, that I now take them everywhere.  Helps me sleeping in noisy places too.
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3299
Registration date : 2009-08-18

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 11:08 am

I buy disposable's by the big box---industrial supply house---average trip 2 to 4 pr in a day===at soon to be 82 still have my hearing and lots of miles. I have even had custom fit plugs (Air Force) cheap foam ones work out better----at end of 400 mile days on scooter, my ear canals can hurt.
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 11:26 am

I have found a good full face helmet works for me no hearing protection needed.
Back to top Go down
VictorLouis
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 1:57 pm

I might agree with respect to city-traffic levels of turbulence, but not on the freeway. However, if you run music in your helmet, that would mask the turbulence so that you may not notice it as much.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 393
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 3:17 pm

I use some DIY custom moulded ear plugs, easy to make in the comfort of your own home, durable, and they work very well.

https://www.radians.com/products/radians-custom-molded-earplugs-and-accessories

Best of all, they never fall out and are all day comfortable.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1568
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 02, 2021 5:13 pm

I use full-face and I did notice an increase in buffeting noise when I installed my intercom. I've since re-layered the foam in front of the earphones and this has helped. The noise has never led me towards ear plugs. I'm half-deaf anyway.

Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 999
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 4:57 am

Anything is better than nothing when it comes to ear plugs, but we're all different shapes so be prepared to try a few before you find what works.
A few years back a pal of mine went to have a custom made plug, only one cos he's been deaf in one ear since birth. The guy doing it was an audiologist, he said come see me at the hospital, we can fix that these days. A short operation later he was no longer a mono-lug but full stereo!
Back to top Go down
Meldrew
Visiting Curmudgeon
Meldrew

Number of posts : 4179
Registration date : 2010-11-16

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 5:45 am

I had an audiologist examine my ears before he made moulds of my ear canals for me. I sent the moulds away and had the silicone ear plugs made that I've been wearing for the last few years. The previous sets I had became less effective for noise reduction on the maxi. They're still fine for to wear on aircraft, or at music concerts. A visual comparison shows how the shape of my ear canals has changed over the years.

When we get back to some normality, I'm considering a visit to an audiologist just to get ear wax removed. I've never had this done before and it's quite fascinating watching what comes out on some YouTube clips.

I've found an effective set of earplugs are only one part of noise reduction. Most helmet manufacturers are more concerned with flash graphics and their racing heritage than designing helmets that reduce harmful wind noise.

Only Schuberth seem take the harmful noise generated inside a helmet seriously and design and test their helmets to be acoustically quiet. The final part is of course is a decent sized screen, I'm lucky that I can alter my screen height on the move and have a top wind deflector fitted.
Back to top Go down
sc00ter
Super Scooter Rider
Super Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 231
Registration date : 2018-07-16

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 11:29 am

I'm gonna spring for the custom molded ear plugs soon. No matter what I do my left ear never seals well with conventional ear plugs. Though I rarely go far on 2 wheels anymore, when I do I want some hearing protection. And when shows resume. Not talking about KISS being loud in a outdoor area but seeing Weedeater or DRI live in a dive bar. LOUD is a understatement!
Back to top Go down
johnd
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 543
Registration date : 2010-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 03, 2021 9:22 pm

Great suggestions. I also have tried my share of plugs. Tried many types of foam and some type of playdoh, silicon ones that as you rub them together they get more playable and fit in the ears better than most.
Also bought some nice silicone types that had a speaker inserted in the center but they had a cord attached which bothered me.
SO! My question is. What are the best sound blocking plugs I can buy so as not to hear my wife snoring?
And don't you dare tell her I said anything because she said she does not snore and I know you want me to live past my 50 university which is April 23
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Huh? What'd you? say   Huh? What'd you? say I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Huh? What'd you? say
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum :: Riding :: Safety Section-
Jump to: