Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Mechanics in Los Angeles?
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby Whiteclay Today at 2:45 pm

» Drive faces
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby Loosemarbles Today at 2:38 pm

» V Belt Light
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Today at 12:39 pm

» 2025 Silverwing 600!
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Today at 8:17 am

» Introducing ME
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Today at 7:21 am

» Mid-Ohio Parade Lap, Pro Football HOF Fail, Upstate NY
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby Tbear Yesterday at 11:50 am

» Slow gas leak
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby mavericksssrig Yesterday at 11:08 am

» At 85, got new bike
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby DavidinDunnellon Yesterday at 10:36 am

» Cold Start Fast Idle?
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby Terry Smith Thu Sep 05, 2024 7:23 pm

» Greetings from the UK
Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Sep 05, 2024 3:18 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Looking at a SWing this weekend

Go down 
+2
oldwingguy
Qwazert
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Qwazert
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2020-09-29

Looking at a SWing this weekend Empty
PostSubject: Looking at a SWing this weekend   Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 10:52 am

Price is right and mileage fairly low for an '09...so what do I look for when buying used?
I've owned bikes for over 15 years now, but am new to maxi's. Is there something specific that I should watch for?
These things have no "neutral" right? So I shouldn't try revving it up when at a standstill....unless it's on the stand!
Back to top Go down
oldwingguy
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1936
Registration date : 2016-01-29

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a SWing this weekend   Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 11:25 am

The only neutral is rpms under 2000, on the stand you can but the real test is the ride, so what are you wanting to test? Records on maintenance is important, belt cond. ( miles on it ) oil changes, after 15 years of ownership you have the idea. If it's you first ride on one REMEMBER BOTH HANDLEBAR LEVERS ARE BRAKES, just so you don't get broken Smile
Back to top Go down
Qwazert
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a SWing this weekend   Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 11:29 am

I'll try to remember that...

I've never owned a scoot before, so I'm not sure what to look for. All of my bikes have a clutch and transmission, so I won't know if this one is working properly or if it should/shouldn't make certain noises when running....know what I mean?
This is totally new territory for me, so anything helpful is...well....helpful!
Back to top Go down
steve_h80
Silver Wing Guru
Silver Wing Guru

Number of posts : 1021
Registration date : 2016-05-15

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a SWing this weekend   Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Like all bike they make a whole cacophony of noises, but there isn't a great deal to go wrong, if the engine runs and it pulls away you'll be fine.
Brakes, tyres, suspension as any bike. Servicing is easy. The cvt drive belt was changed (16k miles), an easy job as is clutch overhaul.
Expect much grabbing of the left brake at the wrong moment 😆.
For slow speed manoeuvres where you balance throttle, clutch and rear brake on a regular bike, the scooter it's just throttle and left brake.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 401
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a SWing this weekend   Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 3:42 pm

I'm a bit new to Swings myself but have been right through the one I bought as a do-up project in March.

The belt/CVT transmission is always moving when the engine is running, unlike a chain driven bike, so don't be surprised to hear some whirring from the left swingarm area. Should be fairly smooth.

Swings develop oil leaks from the stator or crank position grommets on the right crankcase which drips down under the engine and through the bash plate. Not a big deal to fix if you're handy.

A low mileage 2009 might still have original tyres, which won't have aged well and should be replaced.

Brakes are pretty "different" to a conventional bike with the left lever running both the back and the front through a linked system, and the right operating the front only. I tend to use both together, the left gives more power than the right but you need the right for a fast stop.

Back to top Go down
Qwazert
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a SWing this weekend   Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2020 7:02 pm

Well....looks like I missed out on this one.
Guy had recently passed away...wife was just trying to unload his '09 SW (20,000 kms) for $ 1700.

That's $ 1700 Cdn

I feel sick...
I should have known it would be gone in a heartbeat...someone got a GREAT deal.

I'll keep looking....and in the meantime, I will continue to acquire knowledge.
Back to top Go down
sonuvabug
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert
sonuvabug

Number of posts : 930
Registration date : 2010-09-15

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a SWing this weekend   Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 1:48 pm

Qwazert wrote:
... snipped ... I feel sick ... I should have known it would be gone in a heartbeat...someone got a GREAT deal. I'll keep looking....and in the meantime, I will continue to acquire knowledge.

Don't worry, another one will come along ... they always do. Persoanlly, I track the regional/provincial prices whenever I sell or buy. In that way, over the course of several weeks I know exactly what the asking prices are, for what mileages and in what condition/accessories.

When listing, I try to keep my asking price at the market's median or average asking price. I also have my scooter's maintenance up to date and the scoot meticulously detailed with clear, close up pictures. You don't usually get more money for doing these things but it will sell faster over the unattended or neglected dirty ones.

When buying, since I know what the asking prices are, I look for lower mileage units that represent the best price/value ratio's. Maintenance and service records are important to me and cleanliness/cosmetics come in at a distant third.
Back to top Go down
Qwazert
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a SWing this weekend   Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 3:38 pm

bug wrote:
Don't worry, another one will come along ... they always do.

Yeah but..... $ 1700 affraid vomit
Back to top Go down
Murf
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Maxi-Scooter Rider
Murf

Number of posts : 172
Registration date : 2017-04-19

PostSubject: Re: Looking at a SWing this weekend   Looking at a SWing this weekend I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 30, 2020 4:51 pm

I wish I had see that add I would have driven up North for that deal. Bounce on the shocks, put it up on center stand, run motor wheel should engage about 1600 RM to 2000. Wiggle the handlebars to listen for noise. When you turn the key you will hear the fuel pump pressurize and then start. Other than that its fluid leaks.
Back to top Go down

Looking at a SWing this weekend
Page 1 of 1