Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» 2002 600 Odometer
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby terryweasely Today at 12:52 am

» Witam serdecznie wszystkich????
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby JohnyC Thu Oct 03, 2024 4:25 pm

» 2005 Silver Wing For Sale
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby Yaj Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:16 pm

» 2005 Silver Wing For Sale
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby Yaj Sun Sep 29, 2024 8:15 pm

» Happy Birthday Glenn
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Sun Sep 29, 2024 2:28 pm

» October 2024 forum picture
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sat Sep 28, 2024 6:29 pm

» Replacing front indicator bulb. How?
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby Erdoc48 Fri Sep 27, 2024 7:35 am

» Honda SH300i
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby GHM-PM Thu Sep 26, 2024 7:36 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Wed Sep 25, 2024 2:58 pm

» AF214 Givi windshield
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Wed Sep 25, 2024 4:05 am

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

Number of posts : 40
Registration date : 2023-10-18

Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring Empty
PostSubject: Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring   Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2024 7:28 pm

Stock clutch =6.4 seconds from 0-50 mph.
I just did five 0-50 mph runs with my 2012 with the original tires, basically cold.
Margins of error- I used the stopwatch feature on my phone attached to the handlebar and the bikes speedometer.
First two runs were 6.33 seconds exactly.
Then 6.52, 6.03, 6.71.
Toss out the high and low runs and we average 6.4 seconds from a dead stop with both feet down to 50 mph.

Stay tuned to see the comparison with the white Malossi clutch spring. It has been ordered along with some new tires.
The new tires will be the biggest variable in the test I believe.
Questions, comments, answers?

Oh, John G, I thought hard about leaving it alone, seriously. I am apparently not capable of that.

Last edited by Tbear on Wed Jul 03, 2024 12:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring   Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2024 3:25 am

Nothing to add really Tbear, just keen to see your results. It could be another gem of info on this forum for other members. Actually, I'm surprised JohnyC hasn't chipped in yet. This sounds like his kind of thing 🤔
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

PostSubject: Re: Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring   Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2024 9:47 am

Well, I admit JohnnyC is my Silverwing inspiration.
And thank you, I am equally anxious.
Meanwhile: I got to ride my Reflex around the Gila Mountains in southwest New Mexico. This is Box Canyon Rd.
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring Img_0815
Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring Img_0814
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 557
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring   Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2024 10:25 am

IMO the Malossi white spring is hands down the best/cheapest mod you can do to the SW600 cvt, is not so easy to install, but IMO it is more effective/cheaper than DRP sliding weights, IME it virtually eliminates the "Belt Slap" issue, I did not notice any significant change in highway MPG either.

Plenty info to be found on a search for " malossi white spring ".

BTW a stock SW600 "May" do, 0-60 in 8 sec. + maybe a 16 sec. 1/4 mile with a skilled driver scratch
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

PostSubject: Re: Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring   Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 03, 2024 12:58 pm

My bad I corrected the 0-60 to the 0-50 that I actually measured.
Still seems a little fast if a skilled rider can do 0-60 in 8 seconds.
I am not too skilled and weigh 210 pounds. Perhaps the speedometer is a little optimistic?
I think I once said I’ve owned over 50 bikes. Should have been over 30. Just ‘fessing up. I am not trying to impress anyone.
Anyway, we are comparing the bike with and without the Malossi spring, so the actual times won’t be as important as the difference between the two.
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

PostSubject: Re: Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring   Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 15, 2024 2:48 pm

Swing with Malossi clutch spring = 6.3 seconds
So, 1/10 of a second faster 0-50 indicated.
Which is 48-49 on my Waze app when I try to drive steady at 50.

Does this mean anything at all? HECK NO! Probably within our margin of error. It is certainly not definitive.

Feels quicker though.

And I thought of another reason I may be “faster” than the pro’s? Haha
I am not reacting to a timing light. I start to apply the throttle at the same time I hit the start button on my phone.

Actual times for five runs, toss out the fastest and slowest, average the remaining three for 6.3 seconds.
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1602
Registration date : 2016-10-01

PostSubject: Re: Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring   Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2024 11:28 am

Do you not whack the throttle wide open on take off?
Back to top Go down
Tbear
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider
Tbear

PostSubject: Almost   Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 17, 2024 2:42 pm

Almost a whack wide open. Let’s call it a really fast roll on. Heck do I know, little afraid of paying too much attention to my finger on the phone and watching for 50 mph to come up and not enough to my “drag strip “ aka Nielsen Rd.
I take off looking at the phone, glance up once to make sure I am straight, then back to phone/speedo. I am a little surprised the results were as consistent as they were.

In conclusion: I like the spring, I have now done it to two Swings. YMMV
Back to top Go down

Somewhat Scientific Test of the Malossi White Clutch Spring
Page 1 of 1