Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Passenger Back rest
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 7:02 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 7:17 am

» New to the forum
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:18 am

» Gulf shores, AL
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby Mauryturnsoutitsmine99 Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:52 pm

» Searching for Honda or After Market Part
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:22 pm

» A strange howl
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Overheat problem

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
terryweasely
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2024-05-30

Overheat problem Empty
PostSubject: Overheat problem   Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2024 10:17 am

I have been road testing a new to me silverwing 600 spliced onto a Kandi Viper 250 to make a reverse trike. I occasionally have overheat problems after a 25mi round trip. After 12 miles temps seems normal, 3 bars. When I continue to rreturn home it has overheated 2x just before pulling into my driveway. It may just be air in the system after the drain and refill, it sucked down reservoir after the 2 trips, just did a 3rd trip no overheat, 3 bars. I have ordered a new thermostat and cap in case the thermostat is sticking. The fan is working fine. My current question is what is the impeller of the water pump made of, Steel or rubber and do they wear out/deteriorate? No leaks that I have found. I will do a flush and fill when I get the new thermostat.
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Overheat problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheat problem   Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2024 4:02 pm

Just a routine question since these are getting older and rubber dries out (can’t answer what the impeller is made of but I would assume metal)- any chance the return line from the overflow tank to the radiator is leaking and you’re running low on coolant (or the line that goes to the overflow tank)? A new cap is a good idea as well as the spring and seal of the cap may become less reliable over time (had this happen in a car I own and a new cap fixed it from loosing coolant). If the coolant level is low, then it may be escaping via the cap or the overflow line- did it truly overheat or just ran hot on the dash gauge? Fan working fine means it will turn on with the engine hot and bike still (no air movement at the radiator and kicking on properly)?
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2022-12-23

Overheat problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheat problem   Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2024 4:14 pm

Hi terryweasely.
1stly, pictures please!

Couple of questions.
Does the trike use the Swing radiator in its original Swing chassis position, if yes, I would say it's probably not getting enough air flow because the seats and central console must be really close masking the air flow.(I had a small plastic bag partly cover my radiator while out riding, didn't take long to come close to overheating, until I found the bag) meaning, the rad needs good airflow, and your in Florida temps.

If it uses a different rad and location how much more piping has been added, also is the rad plumbed the right way around, as in heated output from pump goes to the top of the rad, not the bottom.

awaiting your reply.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
terryweasely
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Overheat problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheat problem   Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2024 5:59 pm

I see no visible leaks around the cap or the tube. It sucks water back into the radiator as it cools down. I have ordered a new cap and thermostat just in case. The gauge on this afternoon's ride was at the top but the idiot light had not come on yet. Top of radiator tank measured 220 deg and bottom of core 178. It is using the original swing radiator and original mounting position. In this configuration the radiator is tilted forward with top about 3 inches from the back of seat area and the bottom below the floor about 4 inches. When moving it should be getting enough air. There are side ducts pushing air into the area behind the seat and to the engine area. When I get the thermostat I will do a system flush and as I replace it along with the cap. My bigger concern right now is that it might be a head gasket problem due to not seeing any water leaking anywhere but getting sucked in after it cools. I have the Kandi trike radiator that actually mounted in back of the right duct but do not know its condition. I had removed it to get better air flow.
Back to top Go down
terryweasely
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Overheat problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheat problem   Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2024 6:53 pm

Overheat problem Kimg1211

Here is a photo of the radiator to back of seats
Back to top Go down
Erdoc48
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 377
Registration date : 2022-05-31

Overheat problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheat problem   Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 12, 2024 11:04 pm

If the head gasket was failing, wouldn’t you expect coolant loss as well as some white smoke from the coolant getting steamed in the cylinders? Meaning if the coolant level is consistently normal, a head gasket wouldn’t be suspect, would it?
Back to top Go down
john grinsel
Curmudgeon
john grinsel

Number of posts : 3309
Registration date : 2009-08-18

Overheat problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheat problem   Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2024 9:56 am

My take---when you are using things not for what they were designed for....you have trouble.
Back to top Go down
welshman in canada
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2023-09-03

Overheat problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheat problem   Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 14, 2024 11:13 am

If you have a head gasket issue the engine will run poorly for the first minute or so after a cold start. As the engine cools the pressure in the rad is greater than pressure in the cylinders . On initial startup there would be coolant on top of the pistons causing it to misfire as it tries to burn the coolant
Back to top Go down
terryweasely
Scooter Rider
Scooter Rider

Overheat problem Empty
PostSubject: Re: Overheat problem   Overheat problem I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 24, 2024 5:39 pm

I did a cooling system flush, replaced the thermostat and cap. Went for a 25 mile test drive and all temps stayed normal. I believe it was the thermostat. I did NOT test the old one. As to possible head gasket and water disappearing from reservoir I was overfilling the reservoir. It holding at normal levels now. Thanks to all for help and comments.
Back to top Go down

Overheat problem
Page 1 of 1