Honda Silver Wing Scooter Forum

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search
Latest topics
» Passenger Back rest
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby landisr Today at 7:02 pm

» OE Quality Drive Belt
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby landisr Yesterday at 1:11 pm

» Mini-Mate Camper
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby MikeO Yesterday at 7:17 am

» New to the forum
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby Dale N. Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:10 pm

» Complete Fairing Bolt Kit For silverwing/ worth buying??
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Thu Oct 10, 2024 7:41 am

» New FPR, new vacuum pipes, still 22mpg
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby steve_h80 Wed Oct 09, 2024 3:18 am

» Gulf shores, AL
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby Mauryturnsoutitsmine99 Tue Oct 08, 2024 3:52 pm

» Searching for Honda or After Market Part
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby sonuvabug Tue Oct 08, 2024 12:22 pm

» A strange howl
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby zrx212 Tue Oct 08, 2024 10:44 am

» First impressions of the silver wing
Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeby RedRaider Mon Oct 07, 2024 8:04 pm

Navigation
 Portal
 Index
 Memberlist
 FAQ
 Search
free forum

Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

Number of posts : 1603
Registration date : 2016-10-01

Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning Empty
PostSubject: Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning   Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2024 7:31 am

I have a cunning plan to clean up my stripped down rear caliper. I have ordered some rotary brass wire brushes for my Dremel to clean out the seal grooves properly. I intend to run the brushes inside the seal grooves only. However, I would like opinions on whether any stray brass bristles might scratch the shiny bore surfaces.

I am assuming that brass, being softer than the caliper metal, would not damage the bore surfaces.

Advice welcome please.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2022-12-23

PostSubject: Re: Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning   Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2024 8:48 am

Hi Chris.

Any chance of a picture or two showing the inside of the piston bores. The reason I ask is because the callipers are only aluminium, so do a test patch externally to see how the brass brushes mark up the ali.
Personally, I would use a none scratch (white) scotch pad trapped between a split pin in a drill to buzz up the piston bores.

Hope this helps
Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

PostSubject: Re: Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning   Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2024 9:26 am

Hi Chris, Ps.

The OEM calliper pistons are surface treated in production so any rust pitting to their surface is irreversible, even if polished up like new (makes them rust even faster) that's why I posted about buying stainless pistons while they are still available.

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning   Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2024 5:18 pm

I have carefully scraped the seal grooves with an angled pick to clean out any major debris, then used a brass brush to finish off. Then give the caliper bores a good flush out with brake cleaner.
Back to top Go down
zrx212
Silver Wing Expert
Silver Wing Expert

Number of posts : 562
Registration date : 2020-12-26

PostSubject: Re: Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning   Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2024 6:53 pm

If the bore areas are "shinny" they are probably ok, what is critical, is the piston coating condition and the seal groove corrosion/wear, any heavy corrosion and/or too much mechanical corrosion/material removal, i.e., wire brush, pick, etc. that will distort the seal groove, will render caliper useless, the seal grooves on motorcycle calipers are machined slightly tapered, this allows the square seals to flex and retract piston away from rotors when brake is released, reduces pad wear/heat, prevents rotor warping, etc., etc.

Sorry, but heavily corroded calipers or bad pistons should go in the bin, IAC using brass/steel wire brush to remove aluminum corrosion not good, dissimilar metals contaminate the aluminum, causes more corrosion eventually.

Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning   Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 6:40 am

OK, so here are some pics of my replacement caliper:

Here are the bores and grooves:

Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning Rear_c10

Here are the grooves:

Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning Rear_c11

Here are the grooves and the piston(s):

Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning Rear_c12

Here is how I want to clean the grooves with brass rotary brushes:

Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning Rear_c14

I can't decide whether the grooves are clean enough for the new seals or whether a clean-up with the wire brush might ensure the seals seat themselves more securely. Could the brass brushes do any damage to the grooves?

Opinions welcome.
Back to top Go down
Terry Smith
Silver Wing Rider
Silver Wing Rider
Terry Smith

Number of posts : 403
Registration date : 2020-03-11

PostSubject: Re: Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning   Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 25, 2024 6:29 pm

My go/no go decision with cleanliness is if I can feel any surface roughness. I just swipe my angled metal pick gently around in the top/bottom corners of the seal groove feeling for drag or bumps, and if there is none then I consider that acceptable. What you don't want is for corrosion or debris to be forcing the seal harder into the piston as that adds drag that you don't need.

AFAIK a brass brush is perfectly OK on the alloy of the caliper body, and I use a green Scotchbrite pad to gently polish off any build-up on the piston.
Back to top Go down
JohnyC
Touring Scooter Rider
Touring Scooter Rider
JohnyC

PostSubject: Re: Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning   Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 6:10 am

Hi Chris.

I think people have covered most of the subject.
I would still DO A TEST PATCH EXTERNALY on the Ali with the brass wire brush because some makes are brass covered steel wires used in the brushes (particularly cheap ones).

Be safe, be seen!
Back to top Go down
Loosemarbles
Site Admin
Loosemarbles

PostSubject: Re: Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning   Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 26, 2024 2:50 pm

Good idea Johny. They're Dremel brushes so I'm hoping they're the real deal.
Back to top Go down

Rear Brake Caliper Cleaning
Page 1 of 1